Interesting article on the model 71.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Handle one and it's pretty easy to develop a somewhat biased opinion that they are a fine rifle. This article gives some good historical data as to why that is no accident. Also some historical information I was unaware of, about some of the list of interesting people involved in it's design.

Just as an example one thing that caught me off guard and surprised me right from the get go, was how good the trigger on the 71 is, never mind for an old lever gun. Amazed me really. Crisp trigger break without creep and fairly light. This article answered for me why that is. I tested it while I had my buddies trigger scale here and it consistently breaks at 3lb, 2oz.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/model71_info.htm

The writer is definitely an aficionado, and he has done his homework.

DrMike":b9hw0tsc said:
The writer is definitely an aficionado, and he has done his homework.

Lol. Yeah quite a fan. But a lot of good info I probably couldn't of dug up in 2 lifetimes.

Thank you for posting. The outfitter I’m using in September for black bear offered me his 34 Winchester so I would have to bring a rifle in. I still think I’m going to bring my M70 in a 300 WM. I know the rifle well, vs the sight unseen 34 Win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a good article, thanks for sharing it. Sorta makes you want to throw on some wool pants, leather boots and grab a homemade canoe for a Moose hunt!!

Back