Tikka T3X CTR?

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Thinking about a left hand 260 Rem, my Savage is good but the Tikka might be a bit better. I found out today that I can special order one and am trying to decide if I want to or just do a couple of upgrades on the Savage (a trigger and different magazine set up)

Looks like the Lite Stainless and CTR come in a LH 260 still. I have been thinking about the 20" CTR but wonder if the extra cost is worth it over the standard Lite Stainless.

A buddy of mine has a couple of these CTRs... he claims they're the best LR rig going. I got to shoot his 6.5 CM last year at 800 yards and it made it look easy.

For a general purpose hunting rifle, the plain T3x is probably a better choice...but if shooting long is in your wheelhouse the CTR is very nice.

20” version is a great all-around Rifle. With a sensible scope/ring choice, they’re still a very handy hunting rig.... but also quite mid-long range capable. My wife and children have hunted a 20” CTR .260 the past couple of seasons, and it is starting to amass quite a pile of big game bodies. My wife has carried it a total of 16 days now over three elk/deer seasons... that’s a lot of miles at 8k-10k feet.

The CTR is probably the best sub-$1000 rig on the market right now... in terms of accuracy, portability, and ancillary things like threaded barrel and 3” DBM. It’s got the best trigger, the best barrel, and the slickest action in that class.... by a mile.

I know a bunch of guys that have bought CTRs.... I don’t know anyone who’s regretted it.

Gerry,
The Tikka is the way to go; I am sure the Savage shoots good but after all the mods it still "is what it is."
The T3x is just more gun in every way, and will hold its value a lot better down the road imho.
Good luck
E

Those CTRs are really appealing. I agree with SD, good luck finding as much quality in another rifle as what you get in the Tikka for that class of money.

I have seen several groups online from those CTR rifles. Mainly in 260 or 6.5 CM. Apparently those things just shoot itty bitty groups. I guess it was you tube I saw a review on one in 260. He took it out the box, mounted scope, quick barrel swab. His first group was well below 1/2”. Savage is gonna have huge aftermarket support, and probably shoot extremely well itself. Those CTR are just sweet though. And it’s great to see the 260 making a comeback. I owned a 260 back in 2008, there are so much better options for brass now also. I had terrible luck with Remington brass back then, so I ended up necking down Winchester and hornady 7mm-08 brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to jazz up the Savage, let me know. I'll send you some links. They'll shoot with about anything given the extras. :grin:
Truth be told though, by the time you jazz up the Savage you could have bought a CTR and they shoot.

I have a young friend that has a left handed Tikka Hunter in the 260 and he will not part with it as I have tried to entice him with a couple of very good offers :wink:.
My 9 year old grandson is going to start shooting this year and he will be starting with his single shot 410 just to get him accustomed to a bit of recoil.
I will likely try to set him up in a Tikka shooting the 260 :wink:.
As many have said the Savage does shoot well but I too believe that the Tikka is just a bit better.

Blessings,
Dan

What makes me want to stay with the Savage is that my wife bought it for me as an anniversary gift so I think I will keep it. Still planning on getting a Tikka in another caliber though this year ;)

Dwh7271":2lr110yd said:
If you want to jazz up the Savage, let me know. I'll send you some links. They'll shoot with about anything given the extras. :grin:
Truth be told though, by the time you jazz up the Savage you could have bought a CTR and they shoot.

Thank you sir, I sent you a pm.

Gerhard I like the way you think :wink: you can’t have to many rifles :mrgreen: !

Blessings,
Dan

Back