375 Nosler?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Any chance of Nosler coming up with a 375 in their series of cartridges? Or maybe building rifles in 375 Ruger?

I played with a 375 H&H reamed out to the 375 Weatherby one year. It was an awesome round. I would "guess" that one could get a reamer for the 375 Nosler ( I think I read where Nosler does have drawing made up) but the 375 RUM is supposed to be "Death on wheels" on big animals, and it isn't that popular. So...if it were "me" and I had "your" Mod 70 375, I'd have it reamed to "at least" the 375 Weatherby and "maybe" all tricked out/converted to Said 375 Nosler! Hey...its only "money" ( and in my scenario, not even "my" money! ha)

BTW, the "worst, most horrible recoiling, hard to hold onto" big rifle I ever shot ( 1 time!) was the Mark V in 416 Weatherby Mag. If the 375 Nosler is worse than that, don't mess with it! ha

Preacher, I never shot a 460 wby. but I owned two 378 wbys. and being 2 lbs lighter than a 460 their recoil is absolutely brutal.

Guy Miner":2tb2v9tq said:
Any chance of Nosler coming up with a 375 in their series of cartridges? Or maybe building rifles in 375 Ruger?

At one point Nosler was chambering several M48 models in the .375 Ruger- it fits the regular long action so I don't see why they wouldn't make you one up.

I've had a couple .375 Rugers..great cartridge.

They own the 37Nosler.com domain so I would bet at some point there is a good chance of it. A 375 Ruger case holds 99grs of water and a 30 Nosler is almost the same. Even if they necked the 28 Nosler up it would only gain about 3grs over a 375 Ruger. I thought about doing the same thing and decided the 375 Ruger was way easier. 3grs of power might be 25fps. Not worth the effort to me. I have a 375 Imp that is about 102grs of powder but it's based on a 8mm Rem mag case that is crazy long already and hard to run through a mag.

Ya, I wasn't thinking of changing my 375 H&H Model 70, but rather wondering about the Nosler rifle in some sort of 375 cal cartridge. I thought I remembered them offering the 375 Ruger at one point, but wasn't sure.

Seems like the 375 Ruger is pretty well established. From a few folks who travel to Africa they say it’s as available as 06 ammo. Same for Alaska. I like the 375 Ruger. Makes awesome 35 Newton brass!

I could save myself the trouble and probably just turn the 35 into a 375 but I kinda like the big 35.

I think a 37 Nosler would have a tough time breaking up the huge niche the H&H and Ruger have at this point.

I would agree with the 375 Ruger being so well established I don't think a 37 Nosler would have any chance of being successful. Kind of like the 300 WSM vs the 300 SAUM and RCM, none are bad rounds but just too similar so the more powerful and established 300 WSM dominates that class. The 375 Ruger I had thought it was a varmint gun with the way it shot :)

It’s tempting to get a 375 as I have a pile of 325 grain Bitterroots that would be wicked.

But I’ve also got a big pile of 250’s for the 35 Newton.

Either the 375 Ruger or the classic 375 H&H maybe the latter in one of those Pre 64's you seem to like so much ;) pretty tough to beat a Ruger Hawkeye in 375 Ruger these days though.

gerry":26merigh said:
I would agree with the 375 Ruger being so well established I don't think a 37 Nosler would have any chance of being successful... The 375 Ruger I had thought it was a varmint gun with the way it shot :)

+1....when you go over .30 cal, the sales figures get very thin indeed.

One of the .375 Rugers I had would (literally) outshoot my current .223 Ruger American. Something didn't seem right, those big 300gr RN slugs stacking 3 in a quarter!

I think a lot of the 375's shoot very well. My two H&H's certainly both shoot well.

I dunno why I'm so enthused about that particular caliber - it's good - but apparently I never needed anything more than my 30-06 rifle! :grin:

Guy

Guy Miner":3r1jxknb said:
I think a lot of the 375's shoot very well. My two H&H's certainly both shoot well.

I dunno why I'm so enthused about that particular caliber - it's good - but apparently I never needed anything more than my 30-06 rifle! :grin:

Guy
There's no replacement for displacement.
The larger frontal area hits harder.

JD338

I owned the 375 H & H and for a number of years it was my only rifle :wink:. I sold that rifle many years ago and as usual it is another one that I should have never let get away on me :shock:!

Blessings,
Dan

I enjoy my 375, I've used it on rock chucks and jack rabbits, deer and elk. Pretty effective on those critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Krieger CM barrel in .375 that I picked up somewhere and I'm always toying with the idea of doing something with it. 375Whelen, Ruger, HH improved or a 37 nosler. If I did the nosler I'd take it to to 3.6". All on a Win 70 of course! Decisions............

Just to be different, I went with the 376 Steyr.

It is accurate and a pleasure to shoot! And with the 260 gr AB I am only 20 fps slower than the 375 Ruger with the 270 gr load, and getting 1/2" groups all day long! The shoulder is neither bruised or tender after 60 rounds off the bench. Gotta appreciate that type of performance!

Blkram":1xq2m3ey said:
Just to be different, I went with the 376 Steyr.

It is accurate and a pleasure to shoot! And with the 260 gr AB I am only 20 fps slower than the 375 Ruger with the 270 gr load, and getting 1/2" groups all day long! The shoulder is neither bruised or tender after 60 rounds off the bench. Gotta appreciate that type of performance!

My favorite 375 H&H load is that 260 AccuBond over RL-15 for a modest 2620 fps or so from my Number One. Accurate. Mild shooting but still over 4,000 ft lbs of energy, so ya, it is powerful. I've shot three black bears with it. Worked just fine!

I just grabbed Nosler's recommended accuracy load from the manual and went with it. Didn't see any need for more power for our black bears. First one was a quick one-shot kill at 306 yards. I was pleased.

Usually I can't hear my bullets strike game, but I sure heard that 375 bullet smack the bear! :grin:

Guy

Back