Interarms Whitworth.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
They have a commercially produced Mauser action, that's about all I know about them. There is one locally in a 375 H & H magnum with a composite stock somebody put on it, because far as I know the Interarms were wood stocked.

It's priced just under $400. I know little about the Interarms and even less about the 375 and don't need it, but that seems awful cheap for both, maybe I should grab it. Thoughts??

I don't know about prices in the U.S. but that sounds good. Load some 235 gr Speer's at around 2600 fps and you would have a new deer and black bear gun that doesn't kick too bad.

I see Woodleigh makes a 235 gr RN as well, very interesting............. :lol:

If the metal and bore are in good condition, that's a pretty good price. Does this one have the safari express sights and barrel band sling swivel? If so, then it's a steal.

I think I'd grab it for that, and as mentioned above, if it has barrel mounted sights it would be a huge plus.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Polaris":1hhio2ei said:
If the metal and bore are in good condition, that's a pretty good price. Does this one have the safari express sights and barrel band sling swivel? If so, then it's a steal.

Nope. Smooth barrel, no front sights or rear. Maybe it was a custom build with an aftermarket barrel? Comes with scope bases. I need it about like I need another hole in my head, just figured if it was a great deal it doesn't matter if I need it or not.

gerry":1e59wkec said:
I don't know about prices in the U.S. but that sounds good. Load some 235 gr Speer's at around 2600 fps and you would have a new deer and black bear gun that doesn't kick too bad.

I don't know Gerry, you might be trying to pull a prank on me. :lol: In shape I'm about 155-158 lbs. Of course in shape is a matter of prospective sometimes. That 06 and 348 doesn't push me around too bad or if they do I'm able to ignore it and keep them in line, but I'm not sure I'm man enough to put a 375 through its paces on a bench. :grin:

ShadeTree":2k6mhy10 said:
gerry":2k6mhy10 said:

I don't know Gerry, you might be trying to pull a prank on me. :lol: In shape I'm about 155-158 lbs. Of course in shape is a matter of prospective sometimes. That 06 and 348 doesn't push me around too bad or if they do I'm able to ignore it and keep them in line, but I'm not sure I'm man enough to put a 375 through its paces on a bench. :grin:

Well it's all relative :lol: that 348 has got to have a bit of recoil and be comparable Sierra makes a 200 gr flat point that would make a great reduced load option for deer too, turn that 375 H&H into a 375 Winchester.

gerry":1ob9tvac said:
ShadeTree":1ob9tvac said:
gerry":1ob9tvac said:

Well it's all relative :lol: that 348 has got to have a bit of recoil and be comparable Sierra makes a 200 gr flat point that would make a great reduced load option for deer too, turn that 375 H&H into a 375 Winchester.

Yep it is and a person learns to shoot heavier recoiling guns. That 06 used to be a blister for me to shoot off the bench any real repetitive amount without a recoil pad. Now I shoot it without a recoil pad and it doesn't bother me. I shot 6 shots out of that 348 off the bench with the factory steel butt plate and it didn't bother me a bit. You do something enough you learn what hurts and what takes away felt recoil.

As I recall, and I could be wrong, Interarms was an importer of arms. Hence the imported mauser action. CL

Duh- I think you already said that..... What I should have said is - my Dads Mauser is simply stamped imported by a company based in "Washington DC" of all places. It was sold by Herters, but not stamped so. AS a result, Scheels, Cabelas, have both told me they were not interested in selling it or putting any value on it..?!?!?!??? :eek: Some how interarms marked rifles are a different story and they have some value. I paid 350 for an "unmarked" mauser rifle some 15-20 years ago. CL

If you want it buy it, I doubt you'll get into a .375 H&H cheaper. Though the rifle doesn't sound like a factory rifle, it's still a prospect to have some finish work done to it. All the .375 and .458 Whitworth rifles I've seen factory have sights on them. Most have an express style rear sight with folding V-notch sights you file down for your favorite load.

As I see it if that rifle shoots decent, you have a good foundation to make a really fun rifle. If it handles and points well maybe add a nice set of NEGC express sights to the rear and banded front sight. Depending on the stock maybe even a banded sling swivel to the barrel. Have the action slicked up, add a 3 position M70 style safety, maybe a new custom bolt handle. Have everything professionally rust blued and dropped in a nice walnut stock.

All of that could be done over a few years as not to hurt so much on the pocket book. When your not having it worked on you can daydream about a big 5 African Safari, and attend the safari rifle shootout in Montana. As I see it big bore rifles are the stuff dreams are made of.

The actions on those were usually well made and the cartridge is great!

Too bad it doesn't have the walnut stock. Yes, I'd buy it. Should be fun!

Hmmm. Got me thinking I'll say that. You boys are good at poking and prodding to rid me of pocket money I keep back for gun stuff. :lol:

I've not seen the gun in person, just a picture. Looks like in the picture it has a thumb safety on the right hand side of the stock, more evidence of a custom build. Who knows the gun might be a coddled together butch job. When I get by there if it's still there I'll take a closer look at it.

Every body should have a 375 H&H. Need has nothing to do with it. As far as recoil goes I'd rather shoot the 375 than a 300 win or a 340 B. (Y)
Besides one never knows what might come running down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a couple of Zastava based rifles, a .375 H&H Alaskan and a .300 Win. Mag. that had been restocked to look like a prewar Mauser. Both rifles were very accurate.
The thing to look out for is the feed ramp on the .375 H&H. When inspecting the rifle, stick your finger into the breech and feel along the top of the feed ramp. Mine had teeth like a Great White Shark and clawed great gouges into my brass. I sold it off in a hurry. Several years later I found a Whitworth at a gun show in .375and really wanted it until I fingered the feed ramp. More shark's teeth. I passed. FWIT, the .300 mag. did not have that problem which I believe stems from them having to elongate the magazine for the longer round while still using a standard length Mauser style action.
Paul B.

ShadeTree":co8xvci7 said:
Hmmm. Got me thinking I'll say that. You boys are good at poking and prodding to rid me of pocket money I keep back for gun stuff. :lol:

I've not seen the gun in person, just a picture. Looks like in the picture it has a thumb safety on the right hand side of the stock, more evidence of a custom build. Who knows the gun might be a coddled together butch job. When I get by there if it's still there I'll take a closer look at it.

All Interarms Mauser rifles that I know of came with an adjustable trigger and sides safety similar to a Timney trigger.

taylorce1":1ba8ivh9 said:
ShadeTree":1ba8ivh9 said:

All Interarms Mauser rifles that I know of came with an adjustable trigger and sides safety similar to a Timney trigger.

Okay gotcha. I was thinking the Interarms had a bolt safety, but like I said never ran across them much or paid a lot of attention to them.

PJGunner":1f8n8jsg said:
I've had a couple of Zastava based rifles, a .375 H&H Alaskan and a .300 Win. Mag. that had been restocked to look like a prewar Mauser. Both rifles were very accurate.
The thing to look out for is the feed ramp on the .375 H&H. When inspecting the rifle, stick your finger into the breech and feel along the top of the feed ramp. Mine had teeth like a Great White Shark and clawed great gouges into my brass. I sold it off in a hurry. Several years later I found a Whitworth at a gun show in .375and really wanted it until I fingered the feed ramp. More shark's teeth. I passed. FWIT, the .300 mag. did not have that problem which I believe stems from them having to elongate the magazine for the longer round while still using a standard length Mauser style action.
Paul B.

Good info to know, thanks!

Well it's sold, so I guess that's one less gun to worry about. Ha. Way too many guns I'd be interested in to ever try or own them all. If it would've still been there I would've taken a serious look at it. On to the next one.

Back