Huge Springfield improvement.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
But with a caveat. Haven't shot the gun for a couple of weeks. Whenever I had some time I worked on the gun. Some of you might of read where I fixed the trigger on that gun. Also cleaned up the bore some more, and I could shine a light in the chamber and see what looked like some rough spots so I polished the chamber some with single nap cotton flannel and polishing compound.

A couple weeks back when I shot it with a load the model 70 really likes, it did this. Not horrible but nothing to write home about.

I would say all 3 things helped, but if I had to guess the biggest contributor of the 3 was the trigger work. Hard to shoot tight groups with an 1 1/4" trigger pull before it goes off. This evening with the exact same load as the last time, it did this. Since it had a clean barrel I shot 2 fouling shots and then put 3 on target at 100. To say I was happy with the improvement is an understatement. That was an easy fix with great results.

But then I realized I'm getting this.

These particular cases were loaded 4-5 times with the last 2 of those times being in this gun. I thought I seen something the first time I shot these cases through it and even cut one apart after words to be sure, but could not see any noticeable thinning in front of the case head so I dismissed it. Now it is no question. I could check it, but don't have the tools so it's gonna need to go to a smith. Crap.

Head space issue. In the future, neck size only if these cartridges will be used solely in that particular rifle.

Back