6.5X55 or .257 Bob?

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
I can't make up my mind as to which cartridge I want. I have a HVA 1600 action and stock but no barrel. I've already added a Dakota 3 positon safety and a Timney trigger to the action. So now I have to decide on a barrel. I'm thinking a FWT/UL contour that finishes around 21" in either of these cartridges should make a dandy deer rifle.

As with drakehammer, I would suggest the 6.5 Swede. It has an amazing bullet weight range, is intrinsically accurate, and outperforms its paper ballistics by a long shot. You don't need to hot rod it, because the SD of the 6.5 and the BC are outstanding for such a small caliber.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

I'd have to pick the Swede...no flies on the Bob, but an HVA is perfect for the 6.5x55.

I'm leaning Swede as well, used to have one and still have brass and dies. However, I've always wanted a .257 Bob as well. I have a buddy who has had great success with that cartridge and has made me a believer in what it can do.

For deer hunting, the 257 Roberts is a smooth shooter. With a 115 gr BT at 3000-3100 fps, it will take the biggest zWT deer well past the 400 yard mark. Easy to load and easy on the shoulder too.

JD338

Taylor- Didn't you have a 250 AI? If so that cover the .25. (even though I am an unabashed fan of the quarter bore, and the Roberts is one of the best) there is currently a wide variety of 6.5's. You could follow the crowd and get a Creed? A 257 AI is an impressive round as well. Not to complicate things.... :grin: CL

A 6.5 would be my choice since I already have a Bob. I think I would enjoy a fwt 6.5, a great rifle for a long hike.

You would really limit yourself with bullet selection going
.257........... The 6.5 on the other hand has dozens of options, that would in itself be a deciding factor to me.
Good Luck
E

Man a 6.5 Swede would be great but how about a 6.5x57 Mauser?? Just neck the 7x57 down. The .257 Roberts is a great cartridge also, but it's little brother the 6mm Remington is a nice deer cartridge also.

cloverleaf":myqwgel7 said:
Taylor- Didn't you have a 250 AI? If so that cover the .25.......You could follow the crowd and get a Creed?

I have both the factory versions of the .250-3000 and the .25-06. I don't really like my .25-06, but that's because I made some mistakes with it and it's too heavy. So I really don't need the .257 Roberts, then again I don't need a Swede either.

While the Creedmoor is cool, it would be a waste in a long action. That's the only reason I'm thinking a Swede, it will fit just fine in the long action. I've actually thought of using a 30 degree improved shoulder on the Swede, but I probably will skip that and stick with factory.

35 Whelen":myqwgel7 said:
You would really limit yourself with bullet selection going

I really don't feel like I'd be limited by .257 bullets, there is a lot of great choices in that caliber. Especially for hunting bullets, there are a lot of options that'll work very well at ranges I'm going to hunt.

6mm Remington":myqwgel7 said:
Man a 6.5 Swede would be great but how about a 6.5x57 Mauser?? ........but it's little brother the 6mm Remington is a nice deer cartridge also.

Thought about a 6.5X57, but I have all the Swede dies and brass left over. I love 6mm cartridges but I've always gravitated to the .243, 6X47 Rem, and 6X45. The 6mm Creedmoor has looked interesting but I have a fast twist .243 so I really don't have a reason for the Creedmoor.

I have to vote 6.5 Swedish as well. The truly high quality bullets and readily available match grade brass make it hard to ignore, especially in a strong modern action. Your HVA already speaks the language too.

The Bob definitely has some cool factor, but the Swede just does everything a bit better.

Polaris":3bmeclz2 said:
I have to vote 6.5 Swedish as well. The truly high quality bullets and readily available match grade brass make it hard to ignore, especially in a strong modern action. Your HVA already speaks the language too.

The Bob definitely has some cool factor, but the Swede just does everything a bit better.
I have to fully agree with her!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Go with the Swede. I have almost all the 25's but the Swede can run heavier bullets. Anyway, you will not be disappointed either way but having the Swede setup. I'd go that way.

About the only reason I would go with the 6.5 Swede is I already have two rifles in .257 Bob and two in 25-06.
The Bob is an M70 FWT push feed and a Ruger #1B. The Ruger is a tack driver (y) and the FWT so far hasn't cooperated worth beans. :( The two 25-06's are Ruger #1 B's, one that looks like it was rode hard and put away wet and it a tackdriver. The other looks almost mint, really gorgeous wood and groups like a cylinder bore shotgun. :?: Go figure.
Paul B.

Looks like the Swede will win out, the main reason is time. Talked with my smith today and he said to get a 6.5 barrel, unless I didn't mind waiting several months. He said 6.5 barrels usually take about 6-8 weeks and non popular calibers take 6-12 months with some barrel makers. He said mine might take a little longer as I'm not going with a popular contour, but he didn't think it would be anywhere near the wait for a .25 caliber barrel.

My vote is also for the Swede. I now have my fourth. It is a great cartridge that outperforms its numbers on paper.

Although I now have a 257 Bob on the way!

I have 2 25-06's Both shoot lights out (even though I'm chasing the lands on one). I've taken whitetail over 500 yards with them twice and one over 600.
Saying that, I picked up a 'rescue' Win Mod 70 and rebarreled it to a 6.5x55. Really liking that rifle. As others have said, available bullets are more svelt and better at the longer ranges. But, if you're not shooting 600 + yards at targets or game, it won't make a big difference.
My thought would be to do the Swede. In the modern action, with a quality barrel and good hand loads, you might be surprised at the accuracy you'll get.
With the quality of the brass and bullets available for the Swede, I don't think you'll go wrong. Add in the light recoil and it's a cartridge, in a light enough rifle, to loan out to a beginner/kid/wife/girlfriend etc.

Back