What to do with a Remington 742?

jason miller

Handloader
Sep 4, 2012
Grandpa passed last week. I'll spare the details. But the point is that even though I would have probably never purchased a rifle like this myself, I'm now in possession of one and it has quite a bit of sentimental value to me.

First of all, this rifle is the 22" version and chambered in 30-06. Grandpa had owned it as long as I can remember, and I doubt it had more than 2 boxes of shells put through it in that time(30 years). I also doubt it's ever been cleaned. It has a tiny bit of corrosion on the receiver that I'm not too worried if I can't get off, but I'd like to make sure that it's bore is as clean as possible and everything else is properly lubricated. I'm not exactly sure how to clean a bore that I can't remove the bolt to get to without shoving a rod down the muzzle, which I'd like to avoid. And I've never taken one of these apart, so I'm not yet sure what needs maintained or lubricated in the operating mechanism. Anyone have any tips on any of this? I will say that I know it "works", because I got a box of shells with it that's missing two rounds and I know that Grandpa used it to put down a horse last summer...

From what I gather, these are gas operated? And I've never fired one(yet), but in assuming it probably won't be very accurate. I'm guessing 2 MOA should be considered good? Anyone have any other general info that might be helpful or anectotal experience to relay as far as how they shoot? And if I decide to try and work up some loads for it, does anyone have any recommendations for loading for this rifle compared to my bolt 30-06?

Basically, I'm up for any information relating to Remington semi-autos or loading for a semi-auto 30-06 in general that anyone wants to share. It would at least be a nice primer for continued research. Many thanks in advance for any help.

I've never disassembled one but I would google them for instructions on disassembly. There is bound to be a U-tube on it.
You can always run a bore snake down the barrel from the chamber till you find out how to disassemble it. I do know the barrel is screwed into the receiver so using a smaller then bore diameter coated rod will need to be used going in from the muzzle. Some of these rifles shoot very good but are finicky what you feed them and will jam with too light of a load.

Some I've seen have been neglected by not removing the forearm and cleaning around the gas port (hole in the bbl to operate the operating rod) This needs to be done every so often as good place for rust to form. Knock the pins out holding the trigger group and pull out of the receiver. This will allow you to clean inside the receiver. As far as cleaning the bbl just do it from the muzzle and use a guard if you want. Don't bother with a bore snake as it won't remove any buildup. After cleaning lube lightly the action rods and bolt all should be well. As far accuracy goes depends on the gun and the load. Have seen some that were minute of pie plate and others shoot 1-1/2 in at 100yds off the bench. Clean it shoot it enjoy it because it was your grandpa's. Dan.

I loaded for a friend’s 742 in 308. I had to go with service rounds as standard loads were too hot for the action. The to start with a 150gn bullet doing around 2600fps. I’d go old school, round nose flat base. More Constance should help stabilize it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My condolences on the passing of your grandfather.

The 742 was a long running design for Remington- 1960ish until about 1980 when it was replaced by the 7400.
Accuracy can be somewhat hit or miss but the biggest detriment to good shooting is the trigger. These share a lot of the design features of the 1100 shotgun...so it's basically got a shotgun trigger. Hunting grade accuracy is generally achievable- especially 1960's hunting grade accuracy.

For reloading- you're going to want to make sure you are full length sizing your brass and keep pressures reasonable. This design doesn't have the camming power of a bolt action for primary extraction- so brass that is on the large end or expands considerably will be a problem in the extraction cycle.

For reliability- pay attention to the chamber area- it's tough to get in there and clean it out and virtually no one does. Debris and fouling in the chamber can cause lots of headaches.

Other than that- these are perfectly serviceable hunting rifles and seem to be popular in some locales. You should be able to find something that it shoots decently. You don't mention a scope, but these were somewhat notorious for killing 1960s era riflescopes- a modern version shouldn't be an issue if you choose to scope it.

Overall, a nice and functional heirloom from your granddad. I've got a few and I truly enjoy dragging them out from time to time for a hunt.

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather.
A good cleaning from the muzzle, including the use of a copper solvent, should get the barrel back to where it needs to be for shooting.
I had a 742 Carbine 30-06 that shot near .5 MOA with 150 gr PT's and IMR 4350. You might be surprised with the accuracy.

JD338

My dad had a 740 and had good loads with IMR- 4895 and Sierra 150 gr bullets. What I remember most about that rifle was that my grand paw would always kid him about needing a whole magazine load of ammo for each deer. He did have a tendency to kill most of his deer with the last bullet.

Thanks for the responses so far, guys. I really appreciate it. And keep it coming, if anyone has more.

I've been doing some research tonight, and it seems like keeping the chamber clean and rust-free is definitely important with these rifles. The other issue that keeps popping up is the guide rails eventually wearing out from the beating that the bolt/carrier gives them.

I was thinking maybe some slightly lower pressure loads(but enough to cycle the action), combined with sticking to 150's or maybe 165's, and maybe even a faster-burning powder like the 4895 they use in a Garand to try and lower port pressure might help extend the life of the rails? Just a thought...

If so, anybody have any 50-55K psi loads with 150's or 165's and 4895 or Varget? Maybe even 4166 to try and minimize copper build-up in a barrel that apparently needs to be cleaned from the muzzle?

Elkman":2v835xkt said:
My dad had a 740 and had good loads with IMR- 4895 and Sierra 150 gr bullets. What I remember most about that rifle was that my grand paw would always kid him about needing a whole magazine load of ammo for each deer. He did have a tendency to kill most of his deer with the last bullet.

Any idea what that 150/4895 load was?

Jason, Sorry I do not, that was 50 years ago. I don't even remember what happened to the rifle. I wish you luck with yours.

jason miller":382c8ykl said:
If so, anybody have any 50-55K psi loads with 150's or 165's and 4895 or Varget? Maybe even 4166 to try and minimize copper build-up in a barrel that apparently needs to be cleaned from the muzzle?

Hornady #9 has a section of "M1 Garand" loads and I've seen "Service Rifle" loads in other manuals that keep pressures low.

#9 lists Varget 42.3gr for 2400fps to 46.4gr for 2600fps. H4895 at 43.2gr for 2400fps to 46.4 for 2600fps. Both with 150gr bullets.

I think you're on the right track to run these type loads. Even though these loads are well below SAAMI max for the cartridge- it more closely replicates the ammunition that Remington was churning out back when this rifle was built. A bit of time searching loading manuals will turn up several M1 Garand type loads that should be easier on all the moving parts than full power 30-06 ammunition.

Cool old rifle, and yes, they can be surprisingly accurate!

I'd mount a rugged, fixed-power Leupold and sight that rascal in with some good 150 - 165 gr bullets loaded at moderate velocity/pressure.

Should make a dandy deer & black bear rifle!

Regards, Guy

My first rifle was a Rem 7400 in 30-06. I still have it.

You can clean it easy enough from the muzzle, but use a bore guide on that end to protect the crown. As others noted, remove the forearm and clean everything you see there too.

They can be accurate - mine is often MOA with the right ammo. I have worked up a load using Speer 150 Hot-Cor bullets that works quite well. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the recipe here, but will see if it shows up.

Get you a Small Base Resizing die also. You may get by with a FL die but eventually you will need to squeeze em down. I grew up around Mod 740s and 742s. Some would shoot well, some didn't, of course. I bought one off my uncle when he needed cash ( I later sold it to my dad, but I ended up using it a lot). With Remington factory 150s, I'd get about 5-6" groups at 100 ( iron sights) then Federal (the old Red Box stuff) came out with the Sierra 165 SBT and it shot 3-4" at 100. I killed more hogs than deer with it and it was a great round. Just break it down as far as you can, scrub it with an old tooth brush and spray solvent, then after drying it off, lightly lube it with something like Outers Tri-Lube, let dry. A good chamber brush is definitely worth the price for this particular rifle! If it was mine, I'd try some Federal Blue Box 150s and 180s (round nose in later) and see how she shoots. It will be mild enough. My BIL and his friend still use their Mod 742s in .308, bought back in '73! They use the Sierra 150SBT. Good luck to you Pard.

I loaded a 150 gr sierra sbt with 52.5 grs of IMR-4895 for my Dad's 742, remington cases and cci primer. The rifle would shoot 2" groups or so at 100 yds. It's my rifle now but I haven't spent any time shooting it. I put a new 2x-7x leupold scope on it but that's as far as I've gotten. I always full length sized the cases and never had any problems. The BDL deluxe is a nice looking rifle with the basketweave checkering.

Sorry for your loss. I have seen a few Remington autos at the public site in's over the years. Hogemans advice is probably right on. One that I recall had function problems seems to me were resolved with a good chamber cleaning. A chamber brush for your caliber is available some where. You might be surprised with the accuracy potential. Cool rifle and gift. Enjoy! CL

Guy Miner":1qpjbuq0 said:
Cool old rifle, and yes, they can be surprisingly accurate!

I'd mount a rugged, fixed-power Leupold and sight that rascal in with some good 150 - 165 gr bullets loaded at moderate velocity/pressure.

Should make a dandy deer & black bear rifle!

Regards, Guy

It currently has a Bushnell Sportview 3-9x32 in the old stamped steel Weaver rings on a 1-piece Weaver base. I guarantee it was like that when Grandpa bought it. I've considered getting an old gloss Leupold 4x or maybe even 2.5x, but I'm also tempted to just leave it alone and see how that old Bushie works just left on 3x.

And thanks again for all the input. It's nice to see what others are loading/shooting for theirs.

I bought a model 742 .308 last year that was manufactured in January 1962 according to the manufacture code on the barrel. It was not pristine but I wanted it clean before I took it to the range. I found several useful videos on YouTube that are easy to follow and show you how to completely disassemble the rifle. Mine had been carried a lot and shot a little based on what I found. I also found they are easier to disassemble than I had thought before I started.

The accuracy is better than I'd hoped, and it has functioned flawlessly so far, too. I was anticipating 1-1.5 inch groups but it's been 1 inch or better with my loads. I also discovered it likes 150 E-Tips and shot one, three shot group that measured .49 :grin: . I guess a blind hog finds an acorn now and then, after all.

Ron

I've owned both Remington 740 and 742 and they are excellent rifles. When I got the 740 it had not been taken care of and there was a light coat of rust in the chamber causing fired cases to stick. I took the barrel off and polished it using J&B. After that I never had an issue. If you're going to handload 4895 is a good place to start. feeding out of the magazines can be hard on the tips of your ammo, so I recommend using a bullet with a tip. Also, I would use a light crimp on them, or a lee crimp die if using a bullet without a cannelure. They are not 1000 yard shooters but I didn't have an issue to 300 yards making kills. 300 was my self imposed limit.

preacher":2dnzgi35 said:
Get you a Small Base Resizing die also. You may get by with a FL die but eventually you will need to squeeze em down.

First off - sorry for your loss ...

I will 2'nd Preacher's comment on this - I've reloaded for my 742 (which I've had for 40+ years). The auto-loader does not have the camming power of a bolt action - you will need the smaller base dies to ensure reliable chambering.

You'll love the gun - have fun !

Back