Picked up a neat old gun.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Been looking at these for a while. Finally found one that the owner didn't have overpriced, and to top it off this one came with an old rear tang lyman folding peep sight. The old recoil pad isn't factory, but it isn't drilled and tapped for a scope, and did not have sling swivels added. Overall in good condition.

Remington 141 in 35 Remington that according to the date codes was made in 1937. Back when machinists started with a block of steel and milled them into what they wanted, and paid attention to fit and finish. A lot of neat features on these guns including the spiraled magazine that offsets each bullet behind the next one, in theory allowing these guns to be shot with pointed bullets although I'm not sure I'll test that out.

The left side of the receivers have a brass head with the cartridge size stamped on them, that also serves as a gas port. The slotted screw is the take down screw. Handy quick cycling gun that fits me. I didn't buy it as a collector so I plan on using it as a whitetail brush gun.

wvbuckbuster":an6frhe8 said:
Classic gun in a great caliber. You won't be disappointed in either. Dan.

Hope so Dan. Never owned either but I done a bunch of research on the 14 and 141 prior to looking at them. It's said if they made that gun today it would cost thousands of dollars because of the machined parts. Don't know but they're pretty slick operating. I'm gonna break the gun all down and clean up all internal parts before putting it to heavy use.

I don't plan as of now to buy the reloading dies and components for it this yr. I'll probably just start out with good ole factory core lokts in 200 grain and reload for it next yr.

Very cool! I’ve always found those to be quite attractive rifles. I’d have been hard pressed to pass it up. Nothing wrong with that old 200 gr corlokts either. Very effective on game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":2u1oxvo1 said:
Very cool! I’ve always found those to be quite attractive rifles. I’d have been hard pressed to pass it up. Nothing wrong with that old 200 gr corlokts either. Very effective on game

Thanks. The flip up tang mounted lyman sight was the final clincher for me. I'm a sucker for authenticity in old guns. Come to find out on Ebay 2 different of those same lyman models that fit the 141 sold last month, and lets just say I done more than okay on this rifle. But that lyman is staying on.

What an excellent find. I'm impressed by your research, learned something today.

Awesome. Also on my bucket list, preferably in "hunt with it" condition. Do you mind my asking what you paid? I'd like to know what is a fair price these days. The last few I've seen have been stupid collector priced also.

Yup- that one is NEAT! In some locales that rifle in that caliber is spoken of in hushed and reverent tones. Have fun! CL

Polaris":az1i6q17 said:
Awesome. Also on my bucket list, preferably in "hunt with it" condition. Do you mind my asking what you paid? I'd like to know what is a fair price these days. The last few I've seen have been stupid collector priced also.

I paid $425 locally. A fair buy I felt compared to some other prices I seen, on an honest gun that can be labled as good condition for its age. Some dings and light pitting at spots but nothing major.

After learning what those lyman sights that fit these guns sell for, it was an excellent buy.

If you don't mind some beat up at spots, or D&T'd, or a stock or forearm who's grain or color doesn't match because it was replaced at some point, you can buy a hunter for very reasonable if you run across one and the guy realizes what he's selling. I figured I was only gonna buy one so I wanted to buy as authentic as I could without paying the big bucks.

If I was getting a collector I'd look for the earliest unmolested model 14 I could find at a buyers price. But along with being newer, the 141's have a beefier forearm and stock and I feel are probably an improved option to use as a hunter. Although that is just my opinion. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a solid 14.

ShadeTree":3n0ae3qa said:
Polaris":3n0ae3qa said:

I paid $425 locally. A fair buy I felt compared to some other prices I seen, on an honest gun that can be labled as good condition for its age. Some dings and light pitting at spots but nothing major.

After learning what those lyman sights that fit these guns sell for, it was an excellent buy.

If you don't mind some beat up at spots, or D&T'd, or a stock or forearm who's grain or color doesn't match because it was replaced at some point, you can buy a hunter for very reasonable if you run across one and the guy realizes what he's selling. I figured I was only gonna buy one so I wanted to buy as authentic as I could without paying the big bucks.

If I was getting a collector I'd look for the earliest unmolested model 14 I could find at a buyers price. But along with being newer, the 141's have a beefier forearm and stock and I feel are probably an improved option to use as a hunter. Although that is just my opinion. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a solid 14.

I think you did really well l! Great buy!

Congratulations on a great old rifle I am looking forward to your range reports on her.
Hope with photos (y)!

Blessings,
Dan

I found a mint 141 in 35 Rem with really nice wood. My research suggests that it is a higher grade model that they produced in smaller numbers. May have paid more than I should have, but could not resist that stock and overall condition. I have been wanting to play with the 35 Rem for awhile. Have also found a very nice JM Marlin in 35 Rem for Susan as saddlegun.

Blkram":369ij4v0 said:
I found a mint 141 in 35 Rem with really nice wood. My research suggests that it is a higher grade model that they produced in smaller numbers. May have paid more than I should have, but could not resist that stock and overall condition. I have been wanting to play with the 35 Rem for awhile. Have also found a very nice JM Marlin in 35 Rem for Susan as saddlegun.

Well depending on what you got and unless you completely fell off your ladder, you probably didn't pay too much. It would be a chore for most people to find the upper grades for sale, in person, or online.

According to an article I read in American Rifleman, In 1936, a Standard Grade Model 141A sold for $46. A Model 141C Special Grade went for $79.75; the Model 141D Peerless Grade cost $146.85; and the 141F Premier Grade was $300.

So the premier was almost 7 times more expensive than the standard, and $300 in 1936. A very expensive rifle in that day. I have no idea how many dollars that would translate to in todays money, but I know it's a whole lot.

Super find, my friend ! The 35 Rem is an extremely under-rated cartridge. I had one, in a Marlin 336, and it flat out made holes in a deer that demanded respect !

Wound up not liking the 336 so much, for a number of reasons, and trading it for a 12' jon boat & trolling motor. My 5 yr old named her 'Rita', after the boat in the old time B&W movie "Creature from the Black Lagoon". Good times with a little boy, as Captain of his own ship.

If I could find a 'find' like you just did I would jump on it on a heart beat!

Happy Hunting!

Funny how you run into guns in strings sometimes. Could've bought a model 14 that I didn't look at closely but looked okay to me, that was priced at $475 and probably could've been bought for $450. And a model 141 with the factory steel butt plate and the only thing I could see added was sling mounts, which for a hunter would certainly not be a detraction, and that gun was priced at $400. Both 35 Rem's and both better buys than what I had been seeing, but neither one had that classic flip up Lyman. I like the one I got even if it does have a recoil pad added.

Back