Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
So this is the 30-30 Richard Mann (gun writer) is taking to Africa soon:

Hlr6w59l.jpg

I'm pretty doggone impressed! (y)

New, from the Custom Shop.

Guy

Very handsome, to be certain. Anyone would be proud to carry that rifle.

This post is making me want to get out my 30-30 for spring bear season...

There really is nothing better than blue steel and beautiful wood. 30/30 to Africa? Bet the story reads something like; much more capable than we thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":1pahcg71 said:
There really is nothing better than blue steel and beautiful wood. 30/30 to Africa? Bet the story reads something like; much more capable than we thought.

Ya, Richard knows his lever action rifles well. I suspect he'll do just fine with the 30-30, because he knows what the cartridge does well, and what it doesn't do so well.

I like the 30-30 cartridge a lot. Easy to shoot well. Mild report & recoil. Normally inexpensive to shoot. And normally very good bullet performance because the bullet jacket & core aren't over stressed by high velocity.

I think he's using some kind of new copper-bullet ammo from Remington too. That should enhance on-game performance as well.

Guy

My old Glenfield is very plain, but a good shooter.

P46HFGVl.jpg

Am feeling like I should get it out and hunt with it this fall! Perhaps even take it to Wyoming!

Guy

The lever action is one of my favorites as it was the first rifle that I hunted with after the Lee Enfield :wink:. I wish that I would have kept that old 30-30 in the Marlin 336C, I knocked my first 5 or 6 deer with that rifle.
They are great rifles for quick response in the bush (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Guy Miner":1p79lmr7 said:
My old Glenfield is very plain, but a good shooter.

P46HFGVl.jpg

Am feeling like I should get it out and hunt with it this fall! Perhaps even take it to Wyoming!

Guy

I just saw a Glenny go for $346 in an estate auction.. very nice for the money

Oh man, that rifle is gorgeous!
Makes me want a 30-30!

JD338

Sheesh- that rifle is useless!!! Too purty to use.... Roosevelt referred to his 30-30 as his "antelope rifle". :shock: Its all about your perception and knowing what it will and wont do. No criticism here....CL

That Marlin looks like Turnbull Restorations hit a home run with that one! That has had about everything done to it! Looks nice.

Back