Need some advice on a planned AR project

26NosFan

Handloader
Apr 3, 2015
So I have been kicking around the idea of putting together a multi upper AR. A lower with good trigger and furniture and then 3 different calibers(a DI gun not piston). Small, medium and large. I do not want a 223/5.56 too blah. So here is my short list, I want your opinions. figures are for buying factory ammo until reloading is possible. Intended purpose.. well because I want to but plinking/range, maybe defense, no hunting(I'm too much of a purist) Just a fun gun set.

224 Valkyrie($10/20 rds) or 22 Nosler($25/20 rds)

6.8 SPC($12/20 rds) or 6.5 Grendel($25/20 rds) or 300 BLK($12/20 rds)

450 Bushmaster($23/20 rds) or 458 SOCOM($35/20 rds)

the 224 and 6.8 have the added benifit of the same Bolt head so thats a plus and the 300 can use a standard mill spec for 223 theres that. Others need different bolts and BCGs. theses would likely be full uppers, meaning complete so just slap on load and shoot.
let me hear what you think of my project idea.

Do you not reload? If you do there are a bunch of really neat wildcats available. I’ve been eyeing the 358 yeti lately. Pretty nice to have a mag fed semi auto with 35 rem+ power. 200s @ 2450fps! Easily formed brass from 308 cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do too, just wish it was .458 and not .452 for obvious bullet choice reasons. Barnes does make some pretty stout bullets in that size though.

The .452 really opens your bullet selection to purpose designed bullets. The heavier .452 designed for 460 SW are Taylor made for the 450 BM velocity window. Most 458 bullets are really too stout for socom velocity

I have about 2x as many uppers as I do lowers. Some are monogamous upper/lower marriages, but I also like being able to save some cash just building uppers..I also did the small, med, big..The Nosler and valkyrie is something I'm kicking around now..As for my "small" (other than 223's) I went 204 Ruger, my mid's are 6x45 and 6.8 SPC..Then I have a 458 SOCOM and use Barnes 300 grain TTSX designed just for the SOCOM..Kind of pricey, but deer act like they were hit with a freight train.

26NosFan":17eglmi6 said:
So I have been kicking around the idea of putting together a multi upper AR. A lower with good trigger and furniture and then 3 different calibers(a DI gun not piston). Small, medium and large. I do not want a 223/5.56 too blah. So here is my short list, I want your opinions. figures are for buying factory ammo until reloading is possible. Intended purpose.. well because I want to but plinking/range, maybe defense, no hunting(I'm too much of a purist) Just a fun gun set.

the 224 and 6.8 have the added benifit of the same Bolt head so thats a plus and the 300 can use a standard mill spec for 223 theres that. Others need different bolts and BCGs. theses would likely be full uppers, meaning complete so just slap on load and shoot.
I've a 450 Bushy I keep in the float plane. Never had to kill a Grizz with it but it works great on porcupines.
The most popular rifle at the lodge. I have a 15 gallon barrel across the river filled with old props, drive shafts and the like, caribou horns sticking out the top. Makes a pretty good "dong" when hit. Wagers are a must, good cigars the most popular currency, a touch over 300 yards has proven too easy.

26NosFan":ym9uqcpk said:

i have 8 AR’s. Three in 556, one in 264 LBC, and then two AR10’s in 308 win. The 556’s are set up as a short 16” very light furniture sled defense rifle, one 18” bull and one 20” bull. The 16” is a 1 plus moa rifle, both the 18 and 20” are 3/4 or better depending on ammo. All of these are. 1 x 8 twist barrels. The bulls barrels are black hole weaponry polygonal barrels. I love there barrels as you will see. My next is a 264 LBC ( basically 6.5 Grendel with longer throat) it shoots Hornady Black 123 SST’s lights out.

The ar10’s are both 308 20” black hole weaponry barrels. One is a bull one is a semi bull. When sighting my bull barrel in first day at 50 yards, first shot was off a little just made sighting on target adjustments next 5 rounds went into the same hole. Shooting Men m80 ball. Similar results with the semi bull. These things are accurate and with muzzle brakes they shoot like a heavy 556 rifle. Of course they are a little heavy. Scooped out with a Nikon Prostaff 5 6 x 18 x40. It weighs close to 13 lbs. which does not bother me as I am 6’ 5” and 285 lbs.

I love these rifles as I hand load as well, and I have bulk military ammo as well. I have loaded up hand-loads for the 308 with 155 gr TMK, 168 gr SMK, and Hornady 178 gr HPBT. They all shoot great. The 556 I have loaded 69 gr HPBT, 75 gr HPBT and Nosler 70 gr RFD’s. It takes some time to get them to shoot great but that is the fun in it.

For me it is really about practicality. In 308 and 556 I can get reasonable ammo all day. The 264 LBC is just awesome , it’s accurate and under the right conditions you can hit 1,000 yds at sea level. 10 or 11 MRAD but doable. Same thing with the 308. For real long range and hunting larger I just go to my bolt action rem 700 270 win and 338 Win Mag.

I had considered going with an AR10 in 338 Federal awesome hunting round. I could just build another upper. But he 308 serve me well. if you want exotic 358 yetti, 375 raptor or 458 reloading can cut your cycle ammo cost substantially. Just your initial investment and the learning curve. Depends what you want it to fit. If you want to shoot long build and AR10 in either 6.5 Creedmor or 260 remington. Really depends on what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since not hunting and just playing or maybe self defense the choice is not as important as if combat or Medium to large game . My personal opinion would be 6.8 and 6.8 family with . 450 bush for big bore . But for you not really worried about bullet performance on game it is not that big of a deal so just go with whatever ammo is readily available and at the price that allows you to shoot more .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Back