Mauser.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Needed this like another hole in my head. Walked away from it twice. But for $300 how can you not buy it? The action alone is worth more.

98 Mauser made in Oberndorf Germany in a 8x57. I was told by 2 older gentlemen after words that the Redfield receiver sight on it is a $75-$100 dollar piece.

I don't know when I'll even shoot it, but I made up my mind I'm only buying quality stuff and when it's priced cheap it's hard to turn down.

I don't believe you were hurt on that deal. Congratulations! Is it better than some of the newer actions available? No, but it has the "cool" factor. That makes it a great buy, even qualifying as a steal. I wanted a Mauser action for my last build, but found a great deal on an '03 Springfield that served as my base. Was it a better action than any of my FN Winchester actions? Not in the least. It was a matter of what I wanted. I like it. FWIW, I like the 8X57 cartridge. It will carry the mail for you if you choose to leave it as is.

And that 8x57 is a cool caliber... Just load it up and go hunt. It will do anything an 06 will do.
Take care
Ed

Looks nice, and for that kind of money how could you have gone wrong! It'll be fun to shoot and have around.

Good luck with it ahead ST.

Looks like a classic hunting rifle should! Hard to go wrong with a 98 mauser, and the old 8x57 is a great round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm getting too many guns to effectively load for and shoot, like I said did not need it and did not go there to buy a gun. I came back the 3rd time and looked hard for a reason not to buy it. A tiny crack in the stock, a rough action, pits or rust somewhere I didn't look close enough to see before. Nope, slick and clean. Just couldn't let it sit there, at that price it's money in the bank.

Dr Mike, I agree. Although they do have some features other actions do not, including a model 70 mauser type or an 03, to the average person including myself they wont offer anything more than another action could and would. But a lot of people seem to think they're better, and an authentic clean 98 isn't usually available, set up and ready to go at that price.

I have a custom .30-06 that my wife's grandfather built for me on an Oberndorf action. It's clean and pretty, and shoots well. The only thing I've done to it is to put a Weaver V10 scope on it and replaced the original trigger with a Timney (which was a great upgrade). Enjoy your new piece, brother.

Back