New Minor Project 30-30 XLR

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Always loves the Marlin XLR rifles but hated the 24" tubes.

So I got one in 30-30 of course and having the tube chopped and recrowned and sites moved to 21".

I think I will like it!

Interested in how this turns out. I always thought one of these fixed up with an aperture sight to take advantage of that long barrel would be pretty cool.

Thanks I just hate the 24" tube. Too long for a 30-30 for hunting.....in my opinion

Got a Marlin cowboy 45-70 with a 26" octagonal tube, but that is different

FOTIS":27pn6fri said:
Thanks I just hate the 24" tube. Too long for a 30-30 for hunting.....in my opinion

Got a Marlin cowboy 45-70 with a 26" octagonal tube, but that is different

I agree with you there.

JD338

When the .30-30 was devised, the Model 94 Winchester had nothing but 24" and 26" tubes on them. Carbines were around, but people back then used longer rifles for hunting, and it didn't get in their way.

Just my personal opinion, but, I would keep it in the 24" barrel configuration. The ReMarlin group just filed for bankruptcy. It would be worth more in the future to keep it original. 24" of barrel doesn't bother me. I've shot plenty of magnum rifles, which have nothing less than 24" barrels, and it isn't too long for me.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

I have an old, long, octagon Marlin 93 and it's pretty but I like my Marlin carbine. I can get it poked out the pickup window fast! :) Sure makes hogs sad.

Fine looking rifle Fotis!

I like the levers with the bigger loop.

Hope to get one in 45/70some day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After looking at that I think I might do the same thing, only at 16”. It would make for a very handy, compact little rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely! This handles like a rapier.

Sweet! Now order some Hawk 190sn with the .025 jacket, some H335 and "really thump some stuff", ala .303 Savage! I easily got 300fps "more" than the old .303 190 too.

Back