One make of rifle only?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Could you be content with just one make of rifle? Perhaps you already are?

Such as nothing but Winchester Model 70's:
a varmint rifle
a couple in standard hunting cartridges
perhaps one "big" rifle

Or Ruger, Remington, Weatherby, Marlin? Maybe not just one model? Ruger for instance offers an amazing variety of rifles.

I've thought about it several times. Wouldn't be too hard for my youngest son and I to get down to just a few Winchester built rifles for all our hunting. We'd have to buy a varmint rifle or two, but otherwise we've got a good start. Similar situation with Remington 700's, we've got four of them between us, and could happily hunt North America with what we've got, and do some target shooting with the varmint-barreled 308 as well. At one point I considered going to all Ruger Number One single shot rifles. I still like that idea, well I did until I had to shoot a big bear several times in a hurry.

If you have, what did you settle on? If you could, what would your choice be? If not, you're like a whole bunch of us who can't resist buying the next thing that looks "cool." :mrgreen:

Regards, Guy

Very interesting question Guy! I use a 700 in .338RUM for Elk, a 700 Titanium in 7-08 for Deer and an old Rem 66 for Just plain fun and the occasional squirrel or Rabbit. I also have an Older model 1100 I switch barrels on and hunt Ducks, snipe and Turkey. Yeah, you could do it with the same make but as we all know, a good gun show is a terrible place to go and just "Look" at the new and different goodies.

Interesting question...

I could likely whittle down to a single centerfire rifle if pressed, so narrowing it down to a single action would be totally doable.

If pressed to do that, I would likely pick Sako. 5 sizes of scaled action to match a cartridge- from .223 up to .375H&H with rifle models from varmints to as big as hunted game gets. On the domestic side it would likely be a Kimber for the same reasons.

I've had more Remingtons, Winchester 70s and Rugers for 50yrs. I've had a smattering of many, many other makes, ha. I am "now living with" a Mod 70 FWT (7x57) and a Ruger 77 "tanger"(338WM) My "Mate" says that's "it"..."hey, I'm still the Boss here...Yes Maam"! :)

I'm not far from that with regard to bolt actions and Weatherbys. Two (?) Remington 700s and two Savages that I recall. Oh, and the Ruger American in the 450 Bushmaster. Nothing like it in a Weatherby with a lower-Michigan-approved chambering.

Weatherby doesn't make a lever action in 35 Rem, so the Marlin 336s are the other niche in my collection.

I have been really happy with my Sako 85 in 30-06 and my Forbes in a 270. Both are very lightweight and shoot extremely well. I also have a Sako a7 (AKA the punisher) in a 300 Win Mag that shoots great but not a lot of fun at the range. I have a Winchester 94 (my dads) that is great. It took a cow elk with a 170gr Partition about 7 years ago (one shot).
So back to a single brand of rifle Sako 85.

I could live with my two Ruger 1B's in 6mm Remington and 30-06 for everything I'll ever get to hunt to include a Grizzly Bear. I would have to somehow keep my 280 AI built on a Model 70 Classic Sporter. Sorry but I just cannot give that up. And then it comes to a .22 LR for rabbits, gophers, and such. A guy needs one of those, and that darned CZ Model 455 I bought sure shoots great and I'd have to somehow keep it as well. Then of course a guy needs a shotgun and I have a Remington 870 that is really nice but if I truly had a choice I would like a classic over/under.

I have a few pre-64 Model 70's. My favorite is a 1953 model in 308. I have several 700 Remingtons and a few Savage 99's. I love my Marlin and Winchester levers. Guess if I had to just have one make of rifle I'd pick the Winchesters with a claw extractor. I'm sure glad I don't have to choose or haven't so far.

Lets see here:
Weatherby - 2 Mark V
5 Vanguard S2 / 2 Howa

Savage - 1 338 Lapua

Remington - 1 7400

Marlin - 1 XL7S

Ruger - 1 American
With 7 Weatherby/Howa we have a winner. For some reason I really like this rifle platform.

For make, I’d have to say Winchester.

Model 70 for bolt action, then a lever or two, and a 550 for 22s &22 LR, and of course a shotgun.

If I could only have3,
A 12 gauge, 22 rim fire (22MAG) and 3006.

Would love to own a WBy or SAko someday.

I love all the choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy, it could be very easy to just have one manufacturer for your hunting needs. Even though I have several guns from different manufacturers it would be easily done to switch to one or downsize to one. My Ruger rifles come to mind, having a 77 bolt action in .35 Whelen, then a couple of 7x57's in No 1 and a 6.5x55. Really all I would need to do is swap my .223 REM 788 for a Ruger.

Ironically when I open the gun safe and look at my handguns it is almost exclusively Ruger. Blackhawks, Super Blackhawk, Single six's, Mark II, Security Six, SR1911. Only a couple of Smiths and a Glock are the odd cousins.

Yes, and it would be Winchesters, a Model 61 on the low end, then a 94, four or five model 70s from .220 swift to 300 H&H, then a model 101 in 20 guage (three barrel set) and good old model 12 in 12gauge. Yep, I could do that. But I'd have to give up the remington .222 and the Ruger #1 .220 swift, glad were just speculating.

I think the hardest thing for me would be giving up my Marlin 39A lever action 22 rifle...

I don't want Marlins for all my centerfire rifles. They're great, but... sometimes I shoot long, and I really like other rifle platforms for that, despite what some folks here have done with their Marlin bolt actions...

Otherwise, I could easily go with Remington, Ruger, or Winchester for all my center-fire needs/wants.

That Sako idea is cool too...

Guy

I would not want to give up my lever action Marlins, especially when I found 37 220 grain Hornady Flatpoints for my .375 Winchester at a flea market today!! I'm good for 37 more shots...

Well if I won a lottery I'd have a battery of Dakota model 10 up to 450/400. bolt actions, I'd propably go with a model 70 action in .223; 243; 257AI; 6.5 something; 280AI; 7x57; 3006; 300 something; 338; 35 Whelan; 375H&H.
Better go by a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to say Winchester’s.
I got 4-.22, 3 pumps and 1 auto.
Lever action .22 magnum, .30-30, .25-20, .45-70, .45-90.
And I got a few Model 70’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I currently own a 512 Remington 22, Remington 700 .223, Remington Tactical .308 , 721 35 Whelen, and 700 7mm RM. so in reality I have already pretty much accomplished this objective. What more do I need?

I have pretty much been a Remington fan but I do have a Weatherby, a couple of Marlins, and a Winchester.

JD338

This is a rough question for a confirmed rifle crank. Glad we don't have to make this decision in most instances. We are assuredly blessed here in North America. I could do very well with any of a number of rifles--Winchester, Remington, Ruger could all work. Even Weatherby would suffice (no, I'm not a confirmed Weatherby fan like some). :shock: With all the new makes coming on the market, the major difficulty would be focusing on one manufacturer.

I like to have a variety of rifles from different manufacturers but have had a lot of Remington's in the past so they are a favourite. Being a lefty makes things more challenging but I could be happy with only Browning (BLR, LH BAR, LH X Bolt, their lefty friendly shotgun's and 22's) Tikka would be at the top of the list for centerfire rifles and hopefully they will make a LH T 1x 22 lr in the future, would buy one in a flash for my wife to use.

Back