Barrett Fieldcraft in .30-06

A

Anonymous

I checked out a Barrett Fieldcraft in .30-06 today. 5.5 pounds with a 24" barrel and it feels good- it's essentially one of Melvin Forbes' Model 24s made under license by Barrett.

I really don't need another .30-06...but dang if I don't want one now. My superlative experience with the Barrett in 6.5 doesn't do anything to quench the fire either!

What is everyone getting these days with the '06 and modern powder? While the 180gr @ 2700fps is the most boringly reliable combo ever made, I think with 24" tube I could wring a little more...maybe enough that it's essentially my .300WSM's equal.

With my 24" Remington 700 CDL I see:

165's at a somewhat surprising 2970 fps

180's at a solid 2800 fps

200's were great at 2600, though I think there was more on tap. It was just such a great shooting load that I stopped right there.

All with H4350

I think the 300 WSM and the 300 H&H (pretty much ballistic twins from what I read) both still offer more velocity than the 30-06 is capable of with any given bullet weight.

Guy

I think with RL26, I’ve got a 22” tube and I’m looking at 28xx.

I’ll load up some and hit them with the magnetospeed. I think you could be close to 2900...

RL26... it’s amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guy Miner":o792axdd said:
You liked the rifle that much eh? :grin:

I hate to admit it...but I did. (y)

The only problem is something would need to go down the road to make it happen and I've got nothing I really want to send down the road!

Ha! Am in much the same boat. I tell myself that I'd like to thin the herd, but honestly, I like all my rifles! Even the ones I don't use often.

I dunno. Maybe my sons will sort it out after I'm gone. :grin:

Guy

I'm getting 2850 with 180 Accubonds with 26. I'm right up to the neck with powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":3azi93ef said:
I'm getting 2850 with 180 Accubonds with 26. I'm right up to the neck with powder.

22” or 24” barrel?

mjcmichigan":rcu1d77o said:
salmonchaser":rcu1d77o said:

22” or 24” barrel?

Well I measured it this morning. I've had it in my brain it was 26". It is, from the bolt face, 24"

I’ve seen some scary impressive velocities with Superformance powder and 200-212gr bullets.

It seems with RL26 and heavy for caliber bullets surprising velocity can be safely achieved.
My goal, with the rifles I hunt with, is as heavy as possible, running 2900 to 2950 FPS. Out to 300 yards for sure, I don't have to think about which rifle I'm hunting with. The hold is basically the same with a 200 yard zero. The 257 Roberts to the .338 Jarrett. Rl 26 looks like it may allow me to pick up a weight class in bullet weight.
Need to play with it some more.

I am doing a bit over 2800 with RL16 in my 22" P64 Featherweight with 180 Accubonds.

I'd think a FC in 30-06 would be one awesome rifle to carry around in the mountains. Especially with 180's at 2800 or 200's at 2700.. Neither of those would leave much to be desired.

SJB358":2bclaru6 said:
I am doing a bit over 2800 with RL16 in my 22" P64 Featherweight with 180 Accubonds.

I'd think a FC in 30-06 would be one awesome rifle to carry around in the mountains. Especially with 180's at 2800 or 200's at 2700.. Neither of those would leave much to be desired.

Hey Scotty, haven't seen you around much, good to see you posting. Not to derail the original post but I've been wanting to try the RL16 for a while now and finally came up with a lb of it locally that I'll be picking up. It shows real good speed across the spectrum of bullet weights in 06 and not high powder charges. How do you like it so far?

ShadeTree":3dsumdit said:
SJB358":3dsumdit said:

Hey Scotty, haven't seen you around much, good to see you posting. Not to derail the original post but I've been wanting to try the RL16 for a while now and finally came up with a lb of it locally that I'll be picking up. It shows real good speed across the spectrum of bullet weights in 06 and not high powder charges. How do you like it so far?

I like the stuff alot. It works just like H4350 and seems to be much more available. Burns clean and seems to be plenty accurate. I need to get the 06 out and shoot it a little, but yeah, I like it. I refused to chase down H4350 and 16 seemed like a good replacement. Supposed to be pretty temp insensitive as well.

SJB358":195xa88i said:
ShadeTree":195xa88i said:
SJB358":195xa88i said:

I like the stuff alot. It works just like H4350 and seems to be much more available. Burns clean and seems to be plenty accurate. I need to get the 06 out and shoot it a little, but yeah, I like it. I refused to chase down H4350 and 16 seemed like a good replacement. Supposed to be pretty temp insensitive as well.

That's funny, I see that eluded to quite a bit and the opposite is true here locally. There's easy 8-10 cans of H4350 sitting at one local gun shop but several shops could not come up with the RL16 for me to try from their normal distributors unless I wanted to pay an exorbant 1 off hazmat fee. The RL16 shows at the top of the charts from 150 on up and is touted as very stable so I wanted to give it a whirl. Good to hear the report. Thanks.

Back