Need Some Info on Tikka T3 Lite

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
I've come across a NIB Tikka T3 LIte in 270 WSM at my local dealer at a really good price. It isn't the new T3X variant, I assume it's last year's leftover..Anyway, I've always heard about the recoil lug on the T3-lites bending with the heavier cartridges, and was wondering if this was something in the early production that has been fixed in newer rifles, or is it a concern at all? I can get the rifle for $500..

There isn’t much of a recoil lug to speak of on a t3. Luckily there are a lot of good after market parts now. I wouldn’t be worried about it at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$500 for a T3 Lite in 270WSM?

I'd jump on that one. Both of mine- previously a 300WSM and currently a 270WIN shoot ridiculously good. There's little wrong with the T3 out of the box, but the aftermarket has really come into its own for these.

270WSM is a fantastic cartridge as well.

hodgeman":24xfk6kh said:
$500 for a T3 Lite in 270WSM?

I'd jump on that one. Both of mine- previously a 300WSM and currently a 270WIN shoot ridiculously good. There's little wrong with the T3 out of the box, but the aftermarket has really come into its own for these.

270WSM is a fantastic cartridge as well.

Yep..It says $579 on the tag, but talking to him he said its been there over a year and the WSM's don't sell too well around here, and that he'd make me a deal on it...I noticed there's a spot on the barrel about 1/2" x 1" where the finish is a little rubbed down and the business end of the recoil pad is kind of scuffed. I assume these are due to being pulled on and off the rack for 18 months..I showed him these issues and offered $500 and he said he'd take it.

I have a stainless version of this exact rifle. It has been a great shooter and I've killed a few deer with it. For that price, I'd buy it. I truly doubt you will be disappointed. If I may, I would put a Limbsaver pad on it and some steel scope mounts.

I own a bunch of Tikkas, and all are great rifles. I recently acquired a T3x CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor (24 in barrel) and a T3 Compact in 7mm-08 for my wife. The accuracy from both is standard Tikka, excellent.

Ron

rjm158":3jrcoasi said:
I have a stainless version of this exact rifle. It has been a great shooter and I've killed a few deer with it. For that price, I'd buy it. I truly doubt you will be disappointed. If I may, I would put a Limbsaver pad on it and some steel scope mounts.

I own a bunch of Tikkas, and all are great rifles. I recently acquired a T3x CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor (24 in barrel) and a T3 Compact in 7mm-08 for my wife. The accuracy from both is standard Tikka, excellent.

Ron

Thanks for the advice..I've had Talley One Piece light weight alloy rings on my Savage 16 325 WSM and 280 M70 featherweight for 4 years, and they've held up great too.

That's a good price on that Tikka. Steel or titanium replacement lugs can be had for $30 or so. Check out eBay and Tikka performance.com

Just want to thank all you enablers! Just got home with it! 8) Fit and function is A+, the minor cosmetic blems don't concern me for the price.

Congratulations on a great gun that I have no doubt will shoot lights out. I'm kicking myself for not being able to swing a deal on a LH version of the same rifle in 270 WSM last winter too, it was $599 CAD NIB too but I just couldn't do it and now it's gone. You just got a lot of gun for the money and I'll be watching to see how it does for you.

You got a good deal. I have a LH T3 light stainless synthetic .308 with a Zeiss 3X9. I bought the rifle in 2007 and when I carry a centerfire I carry this one.

Back