Let's be safe with our rifles, please!

Sad story! I believe gun safety should be regarded in an almost religious fervor. Safe handling practices needing to be habitually practiced and drilled regularly. Your peers keeping you accountable.

Anything less and your flirting with disaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a dog gone shame and should never have happened. All he had to do was leave the rifle alone and called her back before picking it up and instructing her not to leave the rifle unattended in a ready to fire condition. I've seen too many ADs from people trying to lower the hammer on a loaded gun.

Oh, that makes me ache.

At a memorial today for my gun loving aunt. No smoker health but, go go go energizer bunny.
Lung cancer. She refused to slow down for cancer, but after it had finished her off, she enjoyed one more week with her loved ones close by.

Great life, no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life taken away is never restored and regrets never leave. So sad and unnecessary. May God help them all.

One of the highest accolades I ever received was from a guide who was reminiscing one of our past hunts to a new group of camp nimrods on their 1st Boar. Tom was recounting the moment after my shot. He didn't see from my angle, but I knew d@mn well drilled the shot exactly thru the middle of "just F'd 'em up Big Time".

I had racked the round out of my rifle, cleared the magazine, left the action open, then lowered it down to him from the stand.

He told the guys " Gunner is extremely safety conscience, I appreciate that.....Please show everyone here the same respect".

It's discipline 1st, then there should be no 'accidents'.

Being a Hunter Safety Instructor, I see so many things that went wrong in this tragic story. Very sad indeed.

JD338

A few weeks ago our range president sent out an email that there was an accidental discharge at the firing line. An elderly gentleman was shooting a lever gun and, for whatever reason, decided not to shoot the round in the chamber, and when he went to let the hammer down it slipped and set off the round. Nobody was hurt , just a splashed round on the concrete pad. Luckily everyone escaped flying lead and jacket pieces.

Back