35 Rem on the bench.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Bought this gun over a month ago and yesterday was the first I even chambered a round in it. Ridiculous really for a gun I wanted to shoot. Too busy right now.

Better to be lucky than good I guess. Never would've dreamt this 80 yr old pump gun would want to be this much of a shooter. I'm not going to pretend I actually could've done better in reality, probably not, but I will say that the lowest shot was the first shot, and the first shot I take with any old gun is done with a little bit of trepidation. This one had the added question of I had it apart in 30 different pieces cleaning it, so did I get everything back together properly? Mentally those first shots are a little rough to keep as controlled. Lol.

Regardless it's a grand old gun. Cycled rounds out of the tube magazine and into the chamber like butter. Very happy with the old girl on all points.

I fully expect to see a deer fall to that gun this coming fall. Love to see how well the older guns shoot!!

lefty315":vv4fqirf said:
I fully expect to see a deer fall to that gun this coming fall. Love to see how well the older guns shoot!!

I'll be trying to fill one of my tags with it Lefty. I love old guns and there's plenty of them out there that are real shooters! Besides that they are just history and got the cool factor going for them, at least with me. Got an 03 springfield that should be re-barreled to be right but I'd like to kill at least one deer with it first in its military barrel configuration. And I'm hoping to fill another tag again this yr with Dad's old 348.

That all will leave some deserving guns at home, but not a hard choice really at least for this yr. I wouldn't want to impose my thoughts on anybody else, but for me it's hard to beat the feeling of a successful hunt with an old gun.

Very neat. That has to be most gratifying for you. The Core-Lok bullets would definitely deliver the goods for you.

DrMike":3ltrrgu8 said:
Very neat. That has to be most gratifying for you. The Core-Lok bullets would definitely deliver the goods for you.

Dr Mike I'm a fervent do it yourselfer, but if this thing is gonna shoot factory core-lokt's like that I'm not sure why I'd be foolish enough to mess with anything but the core-lokts on this gun. Plus it is not a bench gun and never will be so it's not a gun I'll ever shoot a lot. Just grab it and go come hunting season. I was holding at the 6:00 position at the bottom edge of the red, so it's really pretty much right on for me already.

The man I bought it from had it 15-20 yrs if I remember right, and told me he never even chambered a round in it much less shot it. If he had shot it I might not of been able to buy it off of him. Lol. He had bought it off a buddy who had it passed down from his Grandpa and his buddy wanted to sell it because he had it for a number of yrs and never used it. The rifle was dirty with old oil and such down in the parts when I disassembled it, but the chamber and bore looked excellent so it wasn't hard to believe it wasn't shot much.

Looking forward to getting mine home and trying it out!
Should be here soon...

Thanks all.

Blkram, don't be surprised if the trigger on yours is borderline horrendous. Somewhat typical of any Remington pump gun including the 760's and 7600's. But if it's like mine it wont have creep and will break crisp, just very heavy pull. You just got to steadily increase the squeeze until it goes off. I can deal with a heavy trigger much easier than creep and overtravel.

I'm not afraid to dive into lots of things sometimes at the risk of getting in over my head, but these guns are somewhat complicated in design and parts, and there's no way I'm gonna even think about attempting to make the trigger better.

If you like neat old guns, you will really like your 141. They are very handy and well made, and the 35 Remington is a powder puff to shoot.

I have my grandpa's model 14 he bought about 1927. Moose bear and a few deer fell to that 35 Rem and the 200gr CLRN.

tjen":1ridn5hx said:
I have my grandpa's model 14 he bought about 1927. Moose bear and a few deer fell to that 35 Rem and the 200gr CLRN.

That takes a cool gun and jumps it up about 10 notches. That's awesome. (y)

Oh man!!! Niiiice! Reminds me of a gentleman I know who shows up at the annual sight in to check his zero with an OLD octagonal barreled 30-30. Occasionally some one some one will cast a side long glance or make a good natured comment about that old geezer and his old gun. Specially when he produces a RED box of federal ammo, with just a few empty cases. He usually proceeds to drill a one inch dot at 50 yards.... :) Your 35 is a sweet old rifle. Keep the young bucks humble, and enjoy! :) CL

Very cool old rifle - and apparently you shoot it well!

Ya, unless I was going to shoot it a lot, I might just go buy a half a case of that Remington ammo and call it good... Dang. Nice little group!

Guy

Thanks CL and Guy.

Guy, thought of that after it shot that group with the factory ammo. I should have boxes of this stuff. Don't know if I'll be fortunate enough to get the same lot number or not. But yeah even though it's loads of fun, the gun wont be shot much probably. Other than I'd like to see what it will do once at 100, it will be check it before season and go hunting.

I can't shoot a gun better than what it will shoot, obviously this gun does a very good job at repeating itself so all the credit for that goes to the gun and the master machinists from decades ago. On my end that peep sight is a big help getting the most out of iron sights.

Back