Another safety reminder.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Guys post about the shooting accident, reminded me of something else to be mindful of that I eluded to on the 35 Rem post.

When shooting old guns, but really any used gun for the first time, safety should really be approached with the same assume the worst that could happen and take measures to avoid accidents and injury's, that is used in normal gun safety.

I typically do not wear glasses when shooting a known gun with a known load, maybe should but I don't. But I ALWAYS wear glasses when shooting an old gun or used gun for the first time. No matter what else you double checked, you really cannot know for certain the history of the gun. Did somebody run a bunch of hot loads through it, or even half a dozen way over pressure loads that has the metal fatigued? The list of possible safety issues goes on. If you've ever taken many trips to a shooting range, I hate to say this, but when it comes to knowledge of safe reloading practices and the signs and effects of extreme pressures, some people are idiots. Apparently facebook is more important than taking the time to read a basic reloading manual.

That first shot always includes glasses and my support arm is bent in a V well away from the receiver and my support hand is well forwards of the receiver on the forearm which is my typical hold anyways, but slightly more exaggerated and aware of, on a first shot. If everything checks out after the shot including a normal looking case, there's no reason to question that it's anything but a normal safe firearm after that.

You cannot neccessarily control a failure of some sort on a previously untested firearm, but you can control and minimize potential injury should a failure happen. I'm probably preaching to the choir on this site, but please ALWAYS assume the worst and take appropriate measures on that first shot with an unknown firearm. Dumb things can and do happen. Once that cartridge goes off you cannot rewind and do things differently.

Back