New lever action rifle

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Our resident huntress in the far north has me taking a trip to Italy. Love Italy and was looking for an excuse to go

Looking at Uberti and Chiappa and possibly even more specific the 1886 Ridge Runner 45/70. Should be a fun trip

Bear78, we both thank you for all your help. ( Bear, I was able to talk with Taylor) ( also the WWG is not now being considered )

Compared to the Marlin 1895 trapper 45/70, anybody want to weigh in--bad or good--about the rifles made in Italy, the aforementioned rifle made by Marlin and/or the comparison between them

the uberti 1886 Sporting(25.5" barrel) and Hunter lite(22" barrel) are VERY handsome rifles.

April, I have said it before and will say it again. do you need anyone too carry your luggage. cool trips. Glad your enjoying your retirement from sailing

We ran into a ton of win replicas when we were involved the cowboy shooting circuit and never heard any complaints from any one. Of course we have also never heard any complains from a Marlin owner.

We were able to handle a ridge runner and boy did it feel good in my hands. I would think the larger loop, the overall short length, and the suppressor that is available on the rifle would make it a very nice close quarter rifle.

Great Video!

Periodically get an itch to pick up a 45/70 or a 257 Wby

You fired up the urge. Spent too long looking at 45/70’s and 257’s this morning. Almost late for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know if you're primarily looking for an "authentic" style lever, but if quality is your main consideration I'm very happy with my Henry H010CC, with color case hardened receiver. Action is slick, good wood and fitment, and an excellent shooter.

IMG_20180306_141929.jpg

IMG_20180306_141952.jpg

bdbrown66--thank you for the Henry suggestion. Nice rifles but they dont offer, to my knowledge, some things I would prefer. But will look it up, maybe I am wrong

Bear78--thank you for your willingness to help April, help me. appreciated.

here is were we are

trapper --16 1/2 barrel, 35 overall----7 lbs and 5 in the tube
ridgerunner----18 1/2 barrel--37 1/2 overall---8 lbs and 4 in the tube

ridge runner comes with preferable iron sights but the one's on the trapper could be replaced---both have large loop levers, But the ridge runners screw on brake intrigues me. The Winchester, albeit a replica, is a preference I think, and as you said it would certainly match up nicely with the 71. The difference in the weight is no problem but the shorter the rifle, the better I like it. the Ridgerunner does give one more finish options.

I will be on the east coast trying to finish up a project and might just fly to Virginia. they said they have a range there and I could touch off a couple of rounds and see if I like it. I have shot the trapper.

thanks again

Just a word of note on brakes and low pressure cartridges...

On something like a 45-70, the brake won't work nearly as well as on a smaller bore, higher pressure cartridge. I've done some side by side shooting with a ported and an un-ported Marlin and the difference in recoil was negligible..the difference in report however was significant.

The muzzle blast was substantial enough that any minor effect on recoil (if there was one) just wasn't worth it IMHO.

That doesn't apply to higher pressure rounds- cartridges that operate at 65k PSI can make a brake really dampen recoil- even if the racket they make is horrendous.

Luckily it looks like you can use a thread protector or better yet a suppressor! It would be an inch shorter with the thread protector too

5813ef194b4136bf7dac0537033d4c1f.png

Mike, thank you, good point. Actually you and April were thinking the same thing, as approx a half hour after my post she emailed me with the same information you provided to me as well as mentioned what Bear just mentioned. just use the thread protector and the barrel is even shorter, putting it closer to the barrel length of the Trapper

Bear, thank you, great point.

Bear, I did want to tell you that suppressors are not legal here. We tried to reverse this last year, but failed. We can use them if you had one grandfathered in, but that means you would have had to have had one before 1900--I didn't make the cut. However, I am allowed to carry a handgun, but dont as because of how we are usually dress a lever rifle works better, than a handgun, at least for me. I have approached the RCMP about being allowed to use one when we are working on predator control. The extra length would not be as much of an issue when it is a dedicated predator control project, but I do wonder about the balance

bdbrown66 I stand corrected. I knew of the Henry rifle but did now know they had a 45/70, large lever, Carbine. I will see if I can find one to look at and use

Bear78 suppressors ?

I have never had or even seen one used.

Besides "quiet" are their other advantages.

In a word suppressors are “awesome”. It’s a more pleasant experience in every way. Less recoil, vastly reduced noise, and just generally nicer. If given my choice I wouldn’t shoot anything unsuppressed ever again. Aside from cost there is simply no cons to shooting or hunting with a suppressor.

I've had several Marlins and a Winchester. As well as other lever-actions.

I think if I was seeking a higher-end lever action, I'd look hard at Big Horn Armory: http://www.bighornarmory.com/

Or perhaps something from Turnbull:
https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/

Of course a good old Winchester Model 71 in the classic 348 Win cartridge would be excellent, as would the 1980's Browning reproduction of it.

A number of firms specialize in producing excellent, high-end, customized lever action rifles. Brockman's, Ranger Point Precision and Wild West Guns to name a few.

Regards, Guy

Guy, thank you, but you have the women on the forum mixed up. April and Aleena would also suggest Kilamajaro, Turnbull, Wild West, Brockmans, and Big Horn, but they are waaaaaay out of my league and budget, but I like your style. Nice rifles one and all.

I love the 71, but just can't bring myself to get a third one ( one original and one Browning) But the Winchester part of the 71 makes me want to get a Ridgerunner, which is a very good Winchester Replica and as Bear said it would sure fit nicely with the 71. There is a lot to like, for me, in the Ridgerunner and so far no body has said anything but nice things about it. I already had a Marlin and will probably not go there again ( however there is nothing I can say negative about the Marlin )

Thanks to Hodgeman and bdbrown66 I also have an interest in Henry that I did not have this morning.

If I do get to Virginia, I am going to try to convince Rodger to drive me from the airport to Taylor and if I am successful, I will buy him dinner and a drink. If I do get one I will also need to send a dozen roses to Bear as he steered me to them

Thankful Otter":2qj9hl94 said:
Guy, thank you, but you have the women on the forum mixed up. April and Aleena would also suggest Kilamajaro, Turnbull, Wild West, Brockmans, and Big Horn, but they are waaaaaay out of my league and budget, but I like your style. Nice rifles one and all.

I love the 71, but just can't bring myself to get a third one ( one original and one Browning) But the Winchester part of the 71 makes me want to get a Ridgerunner, which is a very good Winchester Replica and as Bear said it would sure fit nicely with the 71. There is a lot to like, for me, in the Ridgerunner and so far no body has said anything but nice things about it. I already had a Marlin and will probably not go there again ( however there is nothing I can say negative about the Marlin )

Thanks to Hodgeman and bdbrown66 I also have an interest in Henry that I did not have this morning.

If I do get to Virginia, I am going to try to convince Rodger to drive me from the airport to Taylor and if I am successful, I will buy him dinner and a drink. If I do get one I will also need to send a dozen roses to Bear as he steered me to them
Sounds like a plan Cheyenne. I'm only a phone call away. Just don't make it the second week in July since I'l be in South Carolina with the wife at the World Horse Shoe pitching tournament which she is participating in.

I agree with Bear, twice actually

First, if I were still hunting I would have a suppressor on every rifle I hunt with. I have discussed this with hunters on three or four continents and the pros are, less recoil, it is a better option than a brake to obtain less recoil, reduces noice, reduced game spooking, sight picture not lost in scope, PH and trackers especially like it when their clients use them------cons, and I agree with the cons as well, rifle does not have a clean line/look with a can on the end of the barrel, feels unbalanced ( until you get used to using it ) and of course it makes the barrel/rifle longer and this can be a problem in close quarter hunting. Jerry ( Jamila's father ) is another who likes and uses them.

Not every jurisdiction allows them however and so traveling from one jurisdiction to another can create problems for the traveling hunter when being processed through customs.

Every lever action company mentioned are good lever action rifles. But specifically for Cheyenne and knowing her love of Winchesters, I am recommending the Ridgerunner. I like the Marlin, Browning, and even the Henry ( as long as it is not a "Brass" model )

A lady who really wanted to hunt Africa, but the 375 H & H was the minimum she would be allowed to use, was unable to handle a caliber that large, until she had a can put on one and she was then able to realize her dream.

Bear, I have never seen a can on anything under a 243 caliber--have you ?

90e78af251aa0b712d243d58e6d3ee47.jpg

I’m shooting my 22 creedmoor as we speak with my can on it! There wasn’t much recoil to speak of but it’s non existent with the can. I know a lot of guys who run a can on their AR15s also.

My 22 lr suppressor is one of the most fun things you can shoot! Nothing better than thumping a bunny and the two with it don’t even run off. It’s almost like cheating.

282dd63633e7a7082dcf4b2356018c9c.jpg

97ef21c3c3f914aa76795aa1ae3c20e6.jpg

Back