Tell Me Why

When it comes to somebody else spending their money, expect nothing but enabler's on here including me! Lol.

With me it's often want, not need, but in your case I say you need one. Are you talking the new model 70's?

Not me...the .300 makes too much sense as a "one gun" solution for everything on the continent.

I'd do without a large number of cartridges....a good .300 isn't one of them.

Uh, can't think of a reason at the moment. :? Sure you'll get lots of help spending your money, though. (y)

Geez Rodger, if you had a 300 Mag, m70, you could kill any game in North America. You could compete in long distant shooting competitions. You could defend your spouse...

I think there’s a lot of us with 300Winmags I. model 70 that would let you shoot them...

Mine is the EWS, and while I love great wood, I love the Bell&Carlson I the extreme weather system.

Sorry brother, can’t help ya with a reason to not get one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elkman":20hxbgwl said:
Because you already have a .338 ??? :grin:
I'm looking to replace the .338 with a smaller caliber but still have enough gun for 500lb plus animals.
I don't have a lot of faith in the big 7s and though I could get by with just my 30-06 I feel I need a little more reach and flatter shooting round.
I would like a 308 Norma but it would be more expensive to shoot and I would have to have a action barreled and chambered for it so the cheaper choice is the 300win and I can load it down or up if I want to duplicate the 308 Norma which I think would be a better round for what I want but not a cost effective option.

ShadeTree":3gggbedc said:
When it comes to somebody else spending their money, expect nothing but enabler's on here including me! Lol.

With me it's often want, not need, but in your case I say you need one. Are you talking the new model 70's?
I was looking at a used 1980's model push feed.
I have 2 already and I like them, nothing wrong with the newer ones just more then I want to spend. I buy used and then dress them up the way I want them.

well - I would never be one to talk you out of buying a rifle.... :) . But here would be my question: what bullet will the 300 handle that the 30-06 cannot? Yup you will loose some velocity, but will the critter on the other end know the difference? You will get some additional point blank range from the magnum, I would think. But are you really chucking lead out that far? Don't know. Friend shot his pronghorn at 400+ with his 300 mag. Took three shots though....and he is a good shot. competes well at 600 and 1000. My .02- but buy a rifle! CL

Roger your quote
" I could get by with just my 30-06 I feel I need a little more reach and flatter shooting round." i
is the exact same reason I bought mine.

Because if you actually shot and hunted with the 7 Rem Mag, and put hundreds of pounds of quality venison in the freezer with it, you would realize that it a very effective cartridge, that will be more pleasant to shoot than the the 300 Win Mag!

And the Federal Premium 7 MM Rem Mag factory load with the 165 gr SGK shoots flatter and retains more energy than a 180 gr bullet out of the 300 WM past 300 yards! (I have taken lots of elk, moose and deer with this combination and have never felt undergunned!)

Blkram":tzo3du9a said:
Because if you actually shot and hunted with the 7 Rem Mag, and put hundreds of pounds of quality venison in the freezer with it, you would realize that it a very effective cartridge, that will be more pleasant to shoot than the the 300 Win Mag!

And the Federal Premium 7 MM Rem Mag factory load with the 165 gr SGK shoots flatter and retains more energy than a 180 gr bullet out of the 300 WM past 300 yards! (I have taken lots of elk, moose and deer with this combination and have never felt undergunned!)
Gil I really haven't given it a chance and maybe I should.
I checked my zero with it last year in Montana and it was exactly the same as it was before I left and was able to make first shot hits at 200,300 and 400yds with it on the steel targets the outfitter had set up on their range. But I did that also with the 338win and the 35Whelen/AI. All three cartridges where loaded to with in 50fps of each other and the 35/AI was pushing the heavier bullet of the three.
I could pick up any of those three rifles and not worry about not reaching out and hitting what I was shooting at.
I had shot the 7mmRem less then the other two because it was the easiest to find a load for and was one and done and right down boring. :lol:

Rodger,
My 7MM's (280, 7MM RM and STW) have been one and done, but never boring!
Love those 1/2 MOA groups!
Plus they are pleasant to shoot, even off the bench.
As someone once said, "the only interesting rifle, is an accurate rifle!"

Gunner46":3vz8x0p1 said:
Me thinks your hunting elder's soul is subtlety telling you need a 338/06(AI) !
I have it's big brother, 35/06(AI) and it thinks it's a sniper rifle.
Blkram":3vz8x0p1 said:
Rodger,
My 7MM's (280, 7MM RM and STW) have been one and done, but never boring!
Love those 1/2 MOA groups!
Plus they are pleasant to shoot, even off the bench.
As someone once said, "the only interesting rifle, is an accurate rifle!"
I hear yeah Gil. I'm probably going to just keep the 338 and try some reduced loads with lighter bullets. So far I have been loading it to near max with medium weight bullets, the recoil is stiff but not unbearable.

A friend of mine loaded his 338 Win Mag with a mild load behind Speer 200 gr Hot-cor bullets and found accuracy and performance on big game very good with pleasantly reduced recoil. I will see if I can get the powder and charge info for you.

truck driver":1jlomvpo said:
I'm probably going to just keep the 338 and try some reduced loads with lighter bullets. So far I have been loading it to near max with medium weight bullets, the recoil is stiff but not unbearable.

My buddy shoots the 180AB in his .338WM and it's a hammer...you could slow them down a bit and not be much off the .300WM recoil level.

Only if you don't need/want the extra 100yds plus/minus range advantage over your 30-06...
and the extra recoil.

Back