Very nice .416 rifle for a guide:

Darcy builds some excellent rifles. I’d probably do the same thing if it were my job.

That would be a handy rifle!

I know I would beware that lady and that rifle as it sounds like a sure bet that she knows how to use it!

I built my 416 Taylor on a lh model 77 with a 22" barrel and a laminated stock that is pillar and glass bedded with action cross bolts. It is heavier than hers, and the recoil is manageable with 350 gr bullets at 2400 fps. It is also very accurate; 1/2 MOA.

I had a real fondness for my .416 Rigby despite it being too heavy to really tote around for my style of hunting. Well, that and it beat you like you owed it money every time you pulled the trigger.

The guy I bought it from, ended up missing it and buying it back from me. He shot two brown bears with it, both near 10' and both shots traversed the entire body stem to stern (well, one was stern to stem).

Any of the 416s are potent medicine for anything walking on the earth.

interesting article Guy. He does build excellent rifles and that looks like a good one. It is a lot of gun for a sheep hunt, but an excellent caliber for an all purpose Guide gun, especially if guiding for Grizzly. I might draw your attention to her comments about rifles "built for" women. I could not agree more.

I think Hodgeman and Bear should buy one just like it for their wives

Hodgeman--I agree with you about the Rigby and liked your description of the recoil it produces. The 416 Rigby was my rifle on my first Africa hunt. I sold it after that hunt, bought a 375 H & H and never looked back

My wife is fairly recoil sensitive, She has all she can handle with the 270 winchester! She even had a brake installed on it. I’d lay heavy odds that she would have no part in that rifle! Not to mention it isn’t pretty enough, she likes highly figured wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear- Mrs Hodgeman agrees....no interest in shooting anything that kicks that hard. She tops out at the .308WIN and figures anything that she needs killed can be killed with that!

1100 Remington Man":29hwth0m said:
I would not want to shoot it off the bench. Is a 375 H&H not enough gun ?

When staring down a charging brown bear nothing really feels like enough! I remember my 375 RUM running 270gr TSX @ 2950fps feeling “puny” when looking thru the peep on a charging bear. It’s half the reason I build the 458 LOTT.

Impressive woman who knows what she wants in a rifle!

JD338

JD338":1nbo3xym said:
Impressive woman who knows what she wants in a rifle!

JD338

I think she grew up in that bear & moose hunting camp. Ya, she knows what she's doing!

Guy

Thebear_78":2w4tuek9 said:
1100 Remington Man":2w4tuek9 said:
I would not want to shoot it off the bench. Is a 375 H&H not enough gun ?

When staring down a charging brown bear nothing really feels like enough! I remember my 375 RUM running 270gr TSX @ 2950fps feeling “puny” when looking thru the peep on a charging bear. It’s half the reason I build the 458 LOTT.

I agree with TheBear78 wholeheartedly

1100 Remington man. The short answer to your question is yes, as I have, and I am sure TheBear78, Hodgeman. Dr Mike, and Gill , have hunted them with calibers smaller than the 375----But, speaking only for myself, I agree with TheBear78, I always wished I had more when the moment of truth arrived.

TheBear78---what in your opinion would the recoil compare to, with a can on the 416 Rem ?

Thankful Otter":29oh9v98 said:
1100 Remington man. The short answer to your question is yes, as I have, and I am sure TheBear78, Hodgeman. Dr Mike, and Gill , have hunted them with calibers smaller than the 375----But, speaking only for myself, I agree with TheBear78, I always wished I had more when the moment of truth arrived.?

Good point!

There's a world of difference between hunting a bear and stopping a bear. I'd hunt any bear alive with a .300 and feel confident in it's ability to cleanly take the animal.

Looking over the sights of my .375 at an inbound griz made that rifle feel about as serious as a Super Soaker squirt gun. I'm happy that the griz broke that one off and kept going through the bushes. While I have a lot of confidence in the .375's stopping power...I'm happy to have not tested it!

Following up a shot bear in the alders is very unpleasant- no matter the rifle. If I were a guide and I vocationally dealt with wounded bears...I'd get something in the .416/.458 class and never look back. For hunting bears, I'm happier with something I just shoot better and reduces the likelihood of having to crawl through the alders in the first place!

hodgeman":215b92m2 said:
Thankful Otter":215b92m2 said:
1100 Remington man. The short answer to your question is yes, as I have, and I am sure TheBear78, Hodgeman. Dr Mike, and Gill , have hunted them with calibers smaller than the 375----But, speaking only for myself, I agree with TheBear78, I always wished I had more when the moment of truth arrived.?

Good point!

There's a world of difference between hunting a bear and stopping a bear. I'd hunt any bear alive with a .300 and feel confident in it's ability to cleanly take the animal.

Looking over the sights of my .375 at an inbound griz made that rifle feel about as serious as a Super Soaker squirt gun. I'm happy that the griz broke that one off and kept going through the bushes. While I have a lot of confidence in the .375's stopping power...I'm happy to have not tested it!

Following up a shot bear in the alders is very unpleasant- no matter the rifle. If I were a guide and I vocationally dealt with wounded bears...I'd get something in the .416/.458 class and never look back. For hunting bears, I'm happier with something I just shoot better and reduces the likelihood of having to crawl through the alders in the first place!

Well said, Hodgeman. Hunting isn't really comparable to stopping an enraged/agitated bruin.

My buddy just got back from guiding. He had to DLP this bear at under 20 feet as it charged. He uses 375 H&H ackly. 300gr TSX.

60e9906df8d09fbe57cf53e6e6893dfe.jpg

TheBear78---what in your opinion would the recoil compare to, with a can on the 416 Rem ?

I would guess the recoil would be very similar to a 375 H&H at that point. The 416 run a touch harder than the 375 but it’s still a slower recoil, more of a fast shove than a whack.

I think I read that the 416 had around 58lbs of recoil at around 20fps but don't quote me on that.
Either way I wouldn't want to shoot it from a bench unless it was in a lead sled. :)>)

Thebear_78 said:
My buddy just got back from guiding. He had to DLP this bear at under 20 feet as it charged. He uses 375 H&H ackly. 300gr TSX.

60e9906df8d09fbe57cf53e6e6893dfe.jpg

Bear, thanks for sharing,--- a couple of questions

375 h and h ackley--comparable to the 375 weatherby ?

DLP. Do you get to keep the cape, and/or meat or the entire animal must be turned over to the State ?

Hodgeman and Bear---do you guys hunt the Kodiak bears. We were there years ago and some of those bears are huge ?

DLP = defense of life or property, the hide, claws, and skull must be surrendered to the state and will be auctioned off later in the year.

The 375 AI is nearly identical to the 375 weatherby but has conventional shoulders instead of weatherby radius shoulders.

I’ve never put in for the draws for a Kodiak bear. It’s fairly expensive and time consuming hunt. I’d rather spend my meager free time and hunting budget for something that I can eat. I have several friends who have, even one who used a bow.

Back