Custom Rifles...Does anyone even bother anymore?

A

Anonymous

I was contemplating a rifle build this afternoon...looking up components and pricing them out.

It dawned on me, does anyone do this anymore? At the current state of the industry, you're certainly not going to buy practical accuracy over what is available off the shelf. You're probably not going to buy a lighter rifle than is currently available out of a box from at least a half dozen makers. Fit and finish on modern guns is pretty much perfect on all but the cheapest models built for economy and a lot of those just flat work better than a $300 rifle should.

About the only thing modern gunmakers don't do standard is put great wood on a gun, but wood is out of favor with much of the shooting public anyway. You can get good wood on a factory rifle, but it certainly isn't the norm like it used to be.

I recently went to an outing with several friends and we shot at steel targets from 300 to 850 yards. Out of something like 20 rifles- everything from 5 pound mountain rifles to full up custom chassis guns that cost $7500...the stand out rifle? A Christensen Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor that MSRPs for $1250. Everyone who shot it agreed- it was phenomenal in every respect. It was taken from a carton and had a Zeiss V4 bolted to the top and we shot it head to head with full chassis customs and it hung right in there.

It printed a 1/2", 6 shot group with 3 different shooters. I (and the rest of the crew) was impressed.

In looking at my list of components from this afternoon, I'd be twice the price of the Mesa in just parts...and that's before I paid a gunsmith for a single minute. I literally can't build that rifle for what it costs to purchase.

So, in the modern gun market- is there a compelling reason to go custom anymore?

Sure people bother, but I don't disagree with your assessment. For not a lot money today some of the factory guns are putting out some real shooters that would be hard to improve on in that department.

Far as a full on custom the main reason I would see would be because of what the name entails, a custom gun built to the clients wants and specifications. It's his or hers just the way they wanted it. Something most factories can't or wont do.

But dollar for dollar when comparing end performance accuracy, it's real hard to beat some of the guns they consistently reproduce today from the factory.

Really the only reason to go full custom anymore would be for very specific reasons. Ie a certain type or rate of twist, a wildcat, or specialized throating to accommodate an oddball bullet choice.

I still think a full custom from a good riflesmith is a better all around rifle than any off the shelf rifle. The semi customs are really hard to beat but don’t hold those resale quite as well as a named builder.

I have one more build in me. Will probably utter that statement again after this one! I want a proof 24” barrel, a decent custom action, and going to nestle it into my manners elite stock. Going for a light(ish) 300 WSM. Already have the stock and optics, just waiting on a barreled action. Although it might be worth it to just pick up a Christensen and swap the stocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I do but I build my own guns. So I built a 300wm on a Gunwerks GRB action with a Christensen carbon barrel, a Trigger Tech trigger, and bedded it into a Stocky's LR carbon stock. I loaded up 75, 76, 76.5, 77grs of H-1000 with 215 Bergers and took it shooting this morning. I shot 2 not so stellar groups at 100yds with 75 and 76grs. I moved back to 790yds and shot the one 76gr load I had left. It hit low of the steel plate so I dialed 2 moa more in the scope and switched to the 76.5 load. Then I shot this 3 shot group.

I do, put together my own also. I do it because I’m trying to get one of my own that will shoot as good as some of these semi-customs and Tikkas.[emoji1]. It certainly makes no financial sense, but I enjoy the process.

I think of my rifle as a tool to hunt with. To me function, is beauty, like a precision tool. I could not enjoy a custom rifle as I would be afraid to use it. To me they are a thing to admire, and treasure, not hunt. I know that many here hunt with them, and my hats off to you. Give me a Remington that shoots 1/2 MOA, that I can hunt with, and to me its thing of beauty and wonderment.

Their made to be used! I have no problem dragging a high dollar rifle thru the woods in the rain. All of mine are fairly weather resistant, stainless/synthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are 1" grid lines on the steel. That means this group, shots 9 through 11 through this barrel with zero break in, is about 2 1/4". The little shot to the left of that group is my buddies 22-250 with 50gr factory ammo :lol: .

Attachments

• Gunwerks300wm.jpg
    Gunwerks300wm.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 1,026
IdahoCTD":1ss76is6 said:
Those are 1" grid lines on the steel. That means this group, shots 9 through 11 through this barrel with zero break in, is about 2 1/4". The little shot to the left of that group is my buddies 22-250 with 50gr factory ammo [emoji1] .

Nice work...or should I say Werk?

Custom doesn't mean fancy Bill. Mine are almost all stainless with synthetic stocks. I use the heck out of my rifles and don't treat them nice.

Attachments

• Gunwerks300wm 2.jpg
    Gunwerks300wm 2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,030
It is difficult to beat what is being provided by the various manufacturers today. However, an individual may still want a custom rifle to feature some particular component. My last custom rifle was built because I wanted a rifle built by people living in this region. The stock is a beautiful piece of French Walnut and was carved to my specifications by a local stock maker. The rifle was built by a long-time resident of this area who was then dying of cancer. This was one of his last projects. It has special meaning because of my association with this area. It was reason enough to order the build. It doesn't really shoot better than any number of my Winchesters or Remingtons, but it does have special meaning for me.

DrMike":1mhjtkli said:
It is difficult to beat what is being provided by the various manufacturers today. However, an individual may still want a custom rifle to feature some particular component. My last custom rifle was built because I wanted a rifle built by people living in this region. The stock is a beautiful piece of French Walnut and was carved to my specifications by a local stock maker. The rifle was built by a long-time resident of this area who was then dying of cancer. This was one of his last projects. It has special meaning because of my association with this area. It was reason enough to order the build. It doesn't really shoot better than any number of my Winchesters or Remingtons, but it does have special meaning for me.

Very special rifle Dr Mike

People will continue to build rifles for the same reason they reload. They enjoy it. One could successfully hunt anything on earth with a rifle from a variety of rifle building companies using factory ammunition from several ammo companies.

I prefer a rifle that fits me, and I also am one of the last humans on earth that likes walnut and have no problem using a wood stocked rifle in the field, therefore I would order a custom rifle in a heartbeat, but would I need it to successfully hunt--no

Hodgeman, you are right. Quality is lights out great, that said... people, keep chasing better.....good topic for an article.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's some fantastic shooting Idaho! That has to be very satisfying with any gun, but particularly one that you built.

It doesn't always work out that well or come together that quickly but quite often it does. That is why I'm a huge custom rifle fan, that and because I sell muzzle brakes for a living :mrgreen: . I have shot tons of groups in the .2's the very first time I've shot a gun. Many times in the first 5 rounds through the gun it's happened. That's if I know the loads for a certain caliber.

First and foremost I am a hunter who collects guns. I have one custom a interarms mauser with a douglas 24" barrel. I inherited this rifle from my father and it is a very lucky rifle. I also have a semi-custom Forbes 24 rifle which is very light and very accurate. I have two factory rifles both Sako's that are lightweight and also very accurate. In fact, I am the loose-link in my shooting accuracy with any of these rifles. Does the custom or semi-custom make me a better hunter? Nope. Just a collector.

IdahoCTD":3d42mnzs said:
Custom doesn't mean fancy Bill. Mine are almost all stainless with synthetic stocks. I use the heck out of my rifles and don't treat them nice.

That’s a good looking stock. What do you think of it? I’m pretty impressed with their stuff.

I like McMillan stocks better, particularly Game Scout and Game Warden stocks. The Stocky's stock is too fat at the top and too high IMO. I also don't like the rough paint they apply to them. It rubs my cheek a bit under recoil. I will stick with McMillan from now on and might even swap this one for a Game Warden. The Edge fill McMillan Game Warden (with a fat enough forend to fit the larger carbon barrels) are about 4oz lighter too. More expensive but worth it IMO. I have a couple EH-1 Manners stocks too and the Stocky's is pretty much a copy of it but with rough textured paint. The fatter and higher combo means I have to tilt my head more to get on the scope and that is something I'm not a fan of, especially shooting prone.

BTW that group was shot off of a bipod laying in the back of my truck.

Back