Rifle Time this Morning!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I've been doing a lot of handgun shooting, but almost no rifle shooting in recent months.

This morning some friends and I met at the gun club. We repaired and rebuilt target stands for a while, then broke out the rifles & handguns for some fun. I'm fortunate enough to have met this young couple about a year and a half ago, and they've become good friends. We hike, bicycle and shoot together. The young fellow has done some rifle shooting, but his wife never had.

I brought three rifles to the range today, and each of us shot all three:

22 Marlin 39A, factory sights

30-30 Glenfield, with Williams rear peep sight and two types of ammo; full power 170 gr Rem and the Unique/cast bullet handloads

375 H&H Ruger Number one with the 3x Leupold, and full-power 270 gr Hornady RNSP handloads!

Her first shots with a rifle, the 22 cal Marlin 39A:
gg3K7Mch.jpg

Twenty minutes later, shooting the 375 H&H:
0g60FTHh.jpg

He's loading the 30-30 Glenfield - it was a favorite - especially with those mild, cast-bullet loads!
QoZAdANh.jpg

Me, with my 375 H&H Ruger. Love this rifle!
fUZUiaCh.jpg

Full recoil, and why I like a scope with generous eye-relief.
avN6zBsh.jpg

We all did some handgun shooting as well, but the rifles really stole the show. Lots of fun.

What a pleasant way to spend a beautiful early-summer morning! Temps were maybe 70 by late morning. All of us enjoyed, the gun club got new target boards built, and we learned some good stuff about shooting today.

Regards, Guy

Excellent post, Guy. Always pleased to see new people shooting, or people who don't often shoot enjoying some time at the range.

Envious!
I got to finish mowing my grass , helped the wife harvest a peck of peas from the garden, had lunch, cleaned up the tractor and mower plus service it and then I came in took some Tylenol since I over did it and once it kicked in I took a nap. :)>)

Very nice! It is always fun to teach new shooters. What did she think of the 375 H&H?

AFG270":1tq71mjo said:
Very nice! It is always fun to teach new shooters. What did she think of the 375 H&H?

She liked the 30-30 better. :grin: But, she handled the 375 pretty well. I was impressed.

Guy

Guy, good for you. Hopefully they will also decide to hunt in the future.

we need more women hunters --someone has to take my place, maybe this lady !

Anyway well done Guy, thank you

Back