Dangerous Game bolt action...custom rifle bug bites

A

Anonymous

I've been thinking about putting together another rifle lately...I've got several more practical hunting rifles than I'll ever need, so I'm thinking something a bit more esoteric.

A dangerous game bolt gun intended for bears and generally toting around in the North. While the whole double rifle design intrigues me, even the most basic offerings exceed my budget several times over. I've toyed with a big bore lever gun a few times, but I'm just more comfortable with operating a bolt.

I've had a couple of Ruger Alaskans, both satisfactory. I liked the Kimber Talkeetna and a Ruger RSM in .416 Rigby. The Talkeetna was too long and the RSM was just too much of everything.

I'm thinking something in a .338 up to a .375. The rifle needs to weigh no more than 8 pounds, be fairly compact with a 20" barrel or so and be pretty well weatherproof. I don't intend to scope it, but being able to stick a scope on it probably won't present a problem with any modern design. It doesn't need to be capable of shooting past 150yards or so but needs to be able to resolve stressful situations with authority up close.

I want an aperture sight- ghost ring type and a hooded front as middle aged eyes make "express sights" problematic to shoot accurately at anything past rock checking distances. I'd also want a mount for one of the newer bright white "tactical" lights either on the stock or under the barrel. Checking out noises in the brush is much better with 3000CP lighting up the dark,

This crowd is generally very knowledgable about what's out there and sifting the good, bad and ugly from a set of vague requirements. I'm thinking a 1-2 year build, mostly over the winters.

What's your input on action, cartridge, components...etc?

Sounds like your describing the 375 RUM I built a few years ago. It’s in the classified section, just saying [emoji12]

9e38928574151070a23ff84ba2325fd9.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike, I know you said bolt, but everything you describe, screams a lever 348, 356, 358

I have a custom made 375 H & H on a pre 64 model 70, that I really like a lot for the type of hunting you are describing

As far a putting together a rifle. I tried making 458 Lott a few years back and failed miserably--so I have zero recommendation on components

Hodgeman, you mentioned your desire to own a double

dont overlook Searcy--they make an absolutely beautiful 450/400 3 inch, with wood to die for for only 10000.oo Very cheap for a double of this quality and it would certainly work do the job you described---except for the weight of the rifle

Well if a wildcat intrigues you give a look at the .375 Taylor aka .375 Chatfiield-Taylor. Mine is simply marked 358/338 Win. mag.

Mine is on a tang saftey Ruger M77, 22" barrel, currently no iron sights and is on a Ramline stock. Can you say budget thumper? :lol: Weight is about 7.5 pounds as it sits, accuracy is quite good and velocity is equal to the .375 H&H. Currently scoped with with a an old El Paso Weaver 3X with post reticle.

Mine was originally built as a steep mountain dark woods elk rifle and for use should one of my applications for a job transfer to Alaska happen. Never did.

Brass is easily made using 7MM Rem. Mag (anneal necks first) .338 Win. Mag. (original parent case) or my favorite, .458 Win mag. brass. On pass and slight trim to square off the necks. IMR 4350 or H4350 is my powder of choice. Only drawback to the gun is you ain't gonna find ammo at your local Walmart or LGS. You gotta make it yourself.

Paul B.

458M798_092515_2Shots2loads.jpg

458 Win Mag.
2 shots at 50 yds from sandbags:
1 was a 450 gr Barnes Solid,
Other was a 450 gr Swift -A.
Rifle is a Rem M798 with barrel shortened to 23":

RemM798_458_061215_1.jpg

If your leaning more for dual purpose I'd do a 375 Ruger. It fits in actions better than the RUM and doesn't give up all that much to it, especially in a stubby barrel. If it's strictly for bears then I'd do something bigger ie: a 416 or 458. The 375's have better trajectory with the heavies and make better dual purpose rounds. I say that but I killed a buck at 460yds with my .416 Remington with 350gr Speers at 2650fps. I did also kill a bull elk at 650yds with my 375-358STA with 250gr Sierra's at 3080fps.

We shot quite a few bears off of bait with a 375, a 416, and 460 Weatherby. The is no question the bigger caliber stuff kills our black bears better.

I ran Quickloads with a 20" barrel using 300gr AB's between a 375 RUM and a 375 Ruger. There is about 65fps more in a 375RUM when both are loaded to 3.6" OAL. It takes 8grs more of Norma 217 (the highest velocity powder for both) to get that velocity too. I had a RUM and it gained very little but recoil over my 375-358STA so I sold it. I have all the parts to make a 375 Ruger now. The brass isn't the best but I don't intend to shoot it a ton anyway. If you load it with 300gr Cutting Edge bullets it's darn near the equivalent to a 338 Edge with 300gr bullets for long range work. Even with a 3.75" OAL and a 26" barrel it has about the same 65fps gap between the two.

I’m easily getting over 3k fps with 260 NAB in my 375 RUM. easy to convert 300 RUM. Brass in a pinch, I’d probably give the edge in quality brass to the RUM.

No fleas on either of them though.

There is better brass for a 300/375 RUM. My 375-358STA would shoot the 260AB's over 3000fps and shot the 250 Sierra's 3080fps.

Whatever you go with the light mount is easy to do. I can help walk you thru making and installing one under the barrel

Sounds like you need a Ruger Scout rifle in 338 RCM with a light rail added.

Or a Steyr Scout rifle in 376 Steyr.

I have a similar desire but absolutely no need for one. That being said, you can get a Winchester M70 SS Classic in 375 H&H, chop the barrel and mount the sights.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It looks like Mike is ignoring all our suggestions---especially mine---which is too bad, as once he hunted with a 71, he would forget all about building anything, as he would realize, once he hunted with the 71, you can not improve on perfect

Thankful Otter":24wrdhec said:
It looks like Mike is ignoring all our suggestions---especially mine---which is too bad, as once he hunted with a 71, he would forget all about building anything, as he would realize, once he hunted with the 71, you can not improve on perfect

I've got to admit...I've not ruled anything out totally at this point except the double...$10k would ensure Mrs. Hodgeman pays the bill with my life insurance payout!

I keep looking at the 71 and similar pieces from Big Horn and Marlin and the Big Horn looks particularly attractive.

For me the cartridge would be 375 Ruger. H&H performance is a standard action. Hornady did extensive testing on it down to 20" and it is efficient enough to not lose much. the 250 Gr GMX for deer elk moose and the 300gr DGX bonded for everything that bites back. Ruger, Savage and Mossberg are the only off the rack rifles right now chambered for it I think. I would love to find one of the Howas produced a few years ago. Stainless 20" with Hogue overmolded stock(also sold as a barreled action). That would fit the bill just add a gold bead and a ghost ring.

If the standard 338win isn't enough gun you could always have the chamber on one reamed to 33Nosler and get more performance out of it.

hodgeman said:
[

I've got to admit...I've not ruled anything out totally at this point except the double...$10k would ensure Mrs. Hodgeman pays the bill with my life insurance payout!

LOL thank you Mike for having a sense of humor as I was just joking---well sort of---If you read your first post about the type of hunting you want to do with this rifle a lever would not be a bad choice. If you did choose the 71, go with Browning, not Winchester, in case you decide to scope it.

I would like to ask a question, but I know I will get killed via pm, but I am sure a couple of you fellows will answer me honestly without putting me down

in reference to the last post by 26nosfan--why does the standard action make it a better rifle than my rifle with a 375 H & H action ? and in reference to Rodgers post----338 win to 33 Nosler- I know nothing about the 33 nosler, is it comparable to the 375 H & H in KNOCK DOWN power or just faster and at the range Mike is talking about when hunting bears--- up close and personal, why would one think that is better or maybe I just misunderstood Rodgers point. Hope I ask that in a way that neither offends or confuses.

Well Cheyenne first off the 375H&H takes a magnum length action making for a heavier rifle. The 33Nosler is more powerful then a 340Wheatherby which is more powerful then a 338Win and would handle heavier for caliber bullets in the 300gr range better in a standard lighter length (30-06) action.
As far as more stopping power then a 375H&H the answer is no but I believe you can get more rounds in the magazine with the Nosler but I'm not sure since I have never handled one just going from printed statistics.
Up close and personal I would want a 90mm recoiless rifle but that would be awfully heavy to lug around.:)>)

Edit: after looking at the load data for the 33Nosler as compared to the 375H&H 300gr AccuBond the MV is only 28fps difference in favor of the 375H&H at max load and the 375 is .037" larger in diameter. So there really wouldn't be enough on the table to go with the 375 unless you really want it in my opinion.

Back