30 cal practice day

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Took two of my favorite rifles to the rifle range this BLUSTERY morning. :grin: You'd have thought I was in Wyoming with the crazy winds... :wink:

The 308 Win, Rem 700 Green Machine, and the all-around hunting rifle, my 30-06 Rem 700 CDL. Each of these is sporting a scope I'm still becoming accustomed to.

There's a 6-24 Vortex on the Green Machine. The 6x Leupold atop the 30-06 was on my 25-06 last fall for mule deer season. Cool little scope with dots for 300 & 400 yards, roughly.

Loads were as follow:

308: 155 gr Nosler HPBT Palma bullet, 46.5 gr Varget, Lapua cases, Federal 210 match primers. 2850 fps.

30-06: 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet, 59 gr H4350, R-P cases, Magtech LR primers, 2970 fps.

30-06 at 100 yards, I'd forgotten that I'd scrubbed the heck out of the bore last time I cleaned the rifle. My first two shots were high, then the rifle and I settled down and shot a rather nice, tight 3-shot group. I haven't measured it, but appears to be about 1/2" fired from prone, resting the rifle on my hunting pack. This load has taken mule deer, black bear, pronghorn and elk. I'm happy. This one will be going to Wyoming with me this fall.
ck0jcVyh.jpg

mMaOvIsh.jpg

Also did some practice at 200 & 300 yards, and all I've got to say about that is that my danged neck does NOT like shooting uphill from prone anymore! Ugh. I'll do some more practice from sitting during next week's range session.

The 308 Green Machine with that nice Krieger barrel continues to do exactly what it's always done. Shoot very nicely. The Vortex is something I'm still getting used to, but there's no doubt that the optics are clear and precise.
wLatSxbh.jpg

J57fRemh.jpg

MInnVL4h.jpg

Nice, short, hour on the range this morning in the blustery wind.

Regards, Guy

Good work Guy! Do you think the bedding job that guy did on your 25-06 and 30-06 improved the accuracy significantly? I only ask because they seemed to shoot pretty well prior to having them professionally bedded, as I recall and it looked like that gunsmith did a heck of a job from the pics you posted up a while back.
V/R,
Joe

Joe - the 25-06 didn't get much more accurate, but it sure is consistent. It was always sub MOA, with pretty much anything including Remington factory ammo.

The 30-06... I don't think I even fired it before I had it pillar bedded. It might actually be more accurate than the 25-06, but don't let my quarter-bore rifle hear that...

It was pretty cool, having them both done at the same time. The smith was pretty tickled about doing that, making the two rifles almost identical.

They're pillar bedded, free floated, and the triggers set at 3 pounds. Both work really well.

Guy

Those CDLs of yours certainly are well traveled and really do deliver the goods. I love seeing a well worn wood stocked rifle out and about getting it done. That 30-06 looks like it will be just the ticket for WY!
V/R,
Joe

The .30 cal has gone a little out of fashion of late hasn’t it?

Never mind, my 308 Win and 30-06 are still my go-to rifles when I want to hunt something of any size or toughness.

Keep it up Guy - nice rifles and shooting!

Back