Weekly hunting rifle practice

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Season is approaching. Most of my range time is now with the hunting rifles! Was at the NCW Gun Club bright and early this morning, setting up targets at 100, 200 and 300 yards. Got the rifles ready, and at 0705, sent the first round downrange! (y)

After some recent painful issues with my neck, I avoided shooting from prone, and concentrated on my sitting position. Marksmanship skills are coming back! My neck appreciated the mild recoil of the 25-06 rifle, but the 30-06 was tolerable. The Remingtons are both shooting very well, as expected. It's just a matter of tightening up the nut behind the trigger now. :grin:

9Ac7qdfh.jpg

vZhnjzgh.jpg

eu7Obd2h.jpg

rpJbnzFh.jpg

Am continuing to use my two standard loads:

30-06, 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip w/H4350 for 2970 fps

25-06, 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip w/Retumbo for 3150 fps

Bear season is only a week away! Guy

I've been shooting a bit lately too and shot this at 946yds this morning. Not my best shooting but not bad and definitely minute of deer, elk, or moose

Attachments

• 300wm 946yds.jpg
    300wm 946yds.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 283
Nice! Well beyond the distances I can easily practice, or intend to ever shoot again.

Good work.

Nice work Guy. Classic matched pair of rifles you have there that can cover just about anything, as you've shown. Keep up the practice. Hope your neck issue resolves itself.

I've killed 9 elk, 2 antelope, a axis doe and buck, and a deer in the last 4 years. The average shot distance was about 225-250yds and the vast majority were 125 to 350yds. The longest was 600yds. I don't try to shoot stuff a long ways off but I'm prepared for it if that is the only chance I have. Shooting 950yds makes shooting 600 seem like a chip shot too. If I would of had my ammo last year I would of shot the only bull moose we had a chance at. He was 1050yds standing in a big clearing. I shot a 5" group at 950yds about 4 days before that so I would have been pretty confident in my shooting ability.

Thanks Scotty.

Nathan your shooting and long guns are pretty wicked (except for the Remington part)

Same here on shot distances. Sometimes it’s better to be comfortable with shots that most wouldn’t or couldn’t take. Me, I’m happy to be good at 600 and plant them at 150 or less.

Back