Change ?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Ever just sell some rifles and buy something different? Just because?

Fotis doesn't get a vote on this issue! :mrgreen:

Guy

Yes, I did sell a couple to finally get my Savage 99 in .300 Savage. They were old milsurp rifles, but I wanted the Savage 99 more than the milsurp.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Yup. I had a M70 XTR in 243 Win that I sold to by a M700 Classic in 257 Roberts.
Also had a Ruger Super Blackhawk that was sold to fund my S&W 629 Classic.

JD338

I’ve thought about it... but then end up just +1 the collection.

Speaking of sir Fotis, I picked up one of his rifles a few years ago. Haven’t shot it much until recently when I took the magpul stock off it and put on something better.

Used up all my reloads and starting the next batch I made some tweaks to the load given the performance in hotter weather.

It’s going to be a keeper [emoji1303]

204 ruger, 32gr vmax, 200 yards, 5 shots

6c31ea4d8536ca4eddefb4e15f31ebed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only one I can think of was a semi-bull barreled tang safety Ruger in 25-06 to get a double barreled 12 gauge that later got sold when I needed money so I didn't come out ahead on that deal.

All other guns sold over the yrs were when times were tighter than they are now and were sold simply to put some Ben Franklin's in the bank account. None I really miss as most were nothing special other than a 788 in 6mm I should've kept.

Yes I have. Sold guns I wasn't using or had no special meaning to me to buy something else to play with. All because I just wanted too.

Yes, probably more often than I should have.
Part of the enjoyment is in the acquisition of a new, or new to you, firearm.
The other part is getting to own, shoot and/or hunt with a new firearm and/or cartridge.
This all adds to our knowledge and experience, and hopefully produces new memories and adventures along the way.
Enjoy the journey!

The twin forces of boredom and novelty have been powerful motivators to move perfectly good rifles on down the road in pursuit of the new and different.

hodgeman":9pguyo7w said:
The twin forces of boredom and novelty have been powerful motivators to move perfectly good rifles on down the road in pursuit of the new and different.
Yep and specialty rifles you buy for one hunt and done like my 338 Win.
Makes me wonder why I just bought another rifle.

I guess I'm not the only one guilty of doing this. Unloaded a real nice Rem. 742 with VX3 Leupold scope for a Walther Q5 Target pistol. Cost me a few extra bucks in addition to the rifle but the fact that I never used the 742 and I needed a good target gun for IDPA made it an easy choice. Also sold a Sig 938 for my new Sig P320 X-Carry. Wanted a slightly bigger gun for carry. That also involved a few extra bucks. I guess when we get an itch we have to scratch once in a while.

All my life! ha Sometimes I had to (young family or emergency) mostly just to try something different. I don't accumulate many, too easy for "me" to get distracted from my responsibilities, so if I want another, I sell one off or trade it in on the next one. The real "keepers", I give to family or very close friends. Start over, ha.

I don't think of it as "selling" as much as "trading up." I've never sold a gun just to have the cash. Thankfully, I've never needed to. In my case, guns were sold in order to obtain something different/better/more useful than what I had before. Generally, I don't sell anything that's fairly unique, and I've never sold anything that I've inherited along the way. The ones that I've sold have been ones that I could walk out and buy again tomorrow, if I were so inclined, like my Ruger Blackhawk, or ones that just didn't fit me right, like my Beretta A390.

My problem is that I'm genuinely interested in rifles as an instrument...I can't remember the last time I had a hunting rifle that didn't make the grade with regards to practical accuracy or function. But, that's usually not enough to hold my interest long term.

My much loved Nosler and Steyr I've had the longest...and even that's my second go on the Steyr. I've got some heirloom guns from family that I'd never part with, but I don't hunt very much with any of them.

Everything else is pretty much subject to vanish for the next thing that tickles my fancy. My Browning X-bolt was a great rifle...very accurate and well made. But once load development was done...just not that interesting to keep around. The Barrett it funded is more interesting and even lighter and more accurate...but the long term potential is still being determined.

GeorgeS":2ncjpg9j said:
No, I just buy the "something new". :grin:

After a while, I need a bigger safe. (y)

George

+ 1

We never sold/sell rifles ( or shotguns and handguns ), each one had a story and we kept them all. We have handed many over to family with instructions to keep them in the family, just keep handing them down. We have two that is now in the hands of the sixth generation--an old win 22 long pump action with an octagon barrel, steel butt plate and it weights a ton, but still works and is used and a shotgun that needs some work

GeorgeS":3397hyc9 said:
No, I just buy the "something new". :grin:

After a while, I need a bigger safe. (y)

George

+2

I rarely sell anything unless it doesn't shoot as well as I think it should.

Back