Favorite calibers

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
I was fortunate enough to be allowed to set in with a group of approx 25 hunters, all 60 and older and we were discussing our favorite calibers, and actions.

It was kind of funny, because over the course of my lifetime I have had the opportunity to use a lot of different calibers and I was unable to get below 7 "favorite" calibers. I would guess that these 7 calibers accounted for 90% of my hunting.

22hornet, 243, 257 Roberts, 6.5 x 55, 7 x 57, 300 H & H, 375 H & H ---all Bolt actions and all either pre 64 model 70's, mauser 98 clones, or Mannlicher Schoenuer actions--

22 hornet, 243, 257 only in Arizona, the Swede, Mauser and 300 H & H various countries, but the Swede, A LOT, in Europe and the 300 H & H a lot, everywhere. The 375 H & H in Alaska, Russia, and Africa.

What action and calibers have you found you end up using over and over and over again ?

Only been hunting for 10 years so far and just around the corner...
30-06 for 'anything can come'.
Hornet - along with 8x57irs in a Drilling with 16/70 shot, 223 if i go for fox-pelts.
Got a 270 win, too, in a single shot. POI wanders and I don't know if it is the scope or the rifle, yet. So it is currently on detection.

For bigger game, I just hunt second hand. My friend's experiences with rifles I suggested and ammo I made.

I load for 222, 6x55 (for my future ex-wife and maybe my shorty), several 308, 7x64, 300 wsm and 8x68 and demand reports.
Ah - 338 lapua soon to come.

In my neck of the woods, 30-06 does all I need. So no reason to change.
In 1 1/2 years my ender son will start hunting, so new excuses to buy stuff :)

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Europe":g14ir11m said:
I was fortunate enough to be allowed to set in with a group of approx 25 hunters, all 60 and older and we were discussing our favorite calibers, and actions.

It was kind of funny, because over the course of my lifetime I have had the opportunity to use a lot of different calibers and I was unable to get below 7 "favorite" calibers. I would guess that these 7 calibers accounted for 90% of my hunting.

22hornet, 243, 257 Roberts, 6.5 x 55, 7 x 57, 300 H & H, 375 H & H ---all Bolt actions and all either pre 64 model 70's, mauser 98 clones, or Mannlicher Schoenuer actions--

22 hornet, 243, 257 only in Arizona, the Swede, Mauser and 300 H & H various countries, but the Swede, A LOT, in Europe and the 300 H & H a lot, everywhere. The 375 H & H in Alaska, Russia, and Africa.

What action and calibers have you found you end up using over and over and over again ?
I'm going to be 50 yrs old this year, and my favorite calibers that I use, or keep coming back to, are: .223, .243, .300 Savage, .308 Win, .300 WSM, .45/70
I'm in the market for a good 6.5mm round, and I love the 6.5x55 Swede.
The majority of the calibers I have above are bolt action, Remington, Winchester, Mauser, Ruger, and Savage 110's. All push feeds, except for the Ruger M77's
The .300 Savage is in a vintage Savage 99,a lever action, and the .45/70 is in the Marlin 1895 22" barrel version.
I have used a .375 H&H in the past, and like it well. The .45/70 almost equals the .375 in power for short range work, that's why I don't have another .375!
With that combination, I can hunt everything from mice to moose, or even a polar bear, if I so desire.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

So I’m going strictly off my favorite calibers.....

224, 243, 257, 264, 277, 284, 308, 338, 358, 366, 429, 458, 475...

Rifle.. P64

Now favorite cartridges would be 10x that large :mrgreen:

noslerparition--the 30-06 is really all anyone needs, regardless of what Scotty says lol I for some reason liked the 300 H & H in the mid calibers and have stuck with it.

hawk--I have passed 80 and just recently became unable to hunt, so I have been hunting over 70 years, starting on my fathers farm in Arizona with a 22 and 410. The 45/70 is a very versatile caliber and was well liked by my husband. He used it more for javelin than anything else, but your right you could hunt Polar Bears with it.

scotty, your caliber range is much greater than mine. I am sure I have already told you that my first Africa hunt was with a 416 Rigby and it was just too much gun for me. Dropped down to a 375 H & H and never looked back. I remember you loved your 338 for western Elk hunts and probably still do. I LOVE the pre 64, but also the mauser and M/S--however to date I have never shot one while standing on my head so my love for the CRF may be misplaced lol

If Bill still made bullets, you would only have one favorite bullet maker

I am 67 and started off at the age of 8 with a Model 15 Winchester in 20 gauge and at 16 with a 222 Remington and shot in for years. I still have it and love it. I have pre 64 Model 70's in 243, 30-06 and 308. And one safe queen in 300 H&H. I do shoot a Remington 721 in 300 H&H. I guess my favorite rifle right now is my pre 64 308. I still love the 222 and the 25-06 and the 257 Roberts. I have a Savage 99 in 300 Savage and one in 308. They have been great fun. I have way more rifles than I need but sure want some more.

The majority of my hunting experience has been with the .243 Win- shoots bigger than its paper ballistics, .300 Savage, not a barn burner, but chambered in my favorite rifle, the Savage 99. It outperforms its paper ballistics as well. The .300 Mags, .300 WSM, .300 Win Mag, .300 Bee, are just amazing!
Everything I've hunted I've put the bullet in the heart-lung area of vital organs. Nothing has gone further than 30-40 yds.
Coyotes dusted with 90-100 gr bullets in the .243 usually somersault when hit properly even out to 400+ yds. Always an exit hole as well.
Deer with the .243 and .300 Savage drop fairly quick.
The .300 Mags usually instant one shot stops from deer to elk while using 180 gr Nosler BT's.
Wanting to see what the .45/70 does on game animals. Heard some stories, but haven't hunted with it yet.
The 6.5x55 Swede is my all time favorite though. Light recoil, light report, hyper accurate, and as deadly as it is accurate. It never fails to exit. Shoots plenty flat, and doesn't need excessive speed to be AWESOME!
Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

348 and 275 H & H

I like my 300 H & H, 30-06, 7mmwsm, 375 H & H and 45/70, but nothing beats the 348 as a do everything rifle and that little 275 H & H is such a sweet mountain rifle. However, the 30-06 was the only rifle I owned until I was out of college and believe it or not Scotty, it will hunt anything. Reading Aprils post above reminded me of Scotties dislike of the 30-06. I think his exact words was"it is boring" lol My husband agrees with Fotis-he loves his Weatherby's, especially the 340

.22lr-22hornet-222 Rem- 257Roberts- 30-06- 7mmRem-338Win-35 Whelen/AI are the ones I own.
My favorite out of those are .22lr-257Roberts and the 30-06.
Between the .22lr and the 30-06 I have used them the most in my hunting life time.
Just picked up a 300Win so the vote is still out on that one till I shoot it some.

243 Winchester, 270 Winchester, 308 Winchester, 300 RUM, 375 RUM, and 458 Lott.

Those are probably my favorites but I’m looking to add a 6.5 into the mix, and possibly a 300 WSM.

The 243 was my go to coyote and deer round. I’ve killed more deer with that round than any other. It’s a highly underrated cartridge that punches far above its weight.

The 270 and 308 are pretty close in performance and hard to beat as do all general big game rounds. I’ve leaned more into the 308 as it’s much better in box magazines and goes with a suppressor like peas and carrots. I have more 308s than any other cartridge at the moment.

300 RUM is a long range hammer. When paired with a fairly light rifle it makes the perfect combination of speed, accuracy and shear horsepower for Alaskan big game.

375 RUM is another powerhouse. I consider this the lifted, built diesel truck of the cartridge world. Unnecessarily powerful for all but the most extreme big game uses.

458 LOTT, if the 375 is a lifted diesel truck then the Lott is a semi truck. Not as fast or flashy as the 375 RUM but if you have to move a building it will pull it off its foundations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with an 30-06 in 1960, bought a new Husquvarna Imperial grade 270 in 1966 so my favorite caliber is 270, WIN. or WBY. and second is 338 Win. or 340 wby. Many others have came and gone but those are my favorites for big game. preferred rifle brand is Weatherby.

I can cut it to 3 if I really wanted to. I would need a 22 in addition to these, but everybody has a 22 and a 12 gauge right?

Quality 20" AR in 223 for predators. I like a little more speed for a little more shock but I could get by with it. I could buy the cheaper reman stuff that's loaded down (Ultramax 50gr Ballistic Tip shows 2750fps from my 20" barrel) to shoot fox or bobcat, and run something hotter with a 53 or 55gr bullet for coyotes. If it was real windy I'd just take the 264 and make a bigger hole. It's a cheap to shoot cartridge to practice with and keep myself tuned up with also. I'd probably cheat and add a 22 Nosler upper at some point.

264 Win mag in a Model 70. I would want my custom one with the 25" barrel and thumbhole stock. This does all big game smaller than elk and coyotes that irritate me by continually staying out of range of my AR.

300 win mag in a Model 70 I'd want my Rifles Inc custom lightweight one. This does all big game larger than elk.

I've used the .300WSM a lot in the last dozen years or so- much more than anything else. I could likely use it exclusively the rest of my days and not be in bad shape. For small game, a good .22 bolt action is a must have.

I keep coming around to the .308WIN- while a lot of folks say it isn't as good as the '06...it's never left me wanting and my safe isn't complete without at least one. My current one is in the futuristic Steyr Scout but I could add a Kimber with nice wood and be happy.

While I have had good results from the .270, the 7-08 and 6.5CM, I just don't have a long term amount of experience with them. Nothing unfavorable and I can see the 6.5 being one that I go to a lot in the future.

I actually don't like the .223 very much... but I seem to keep getting one over and over so I guess I should list it.

I also have a love for the .30WCF that is much like the .375H&H...more romantic than practical for the most part.

I've never really had a favorite action- it seems they all work when well made and none of them do when they're not.

I've had a lot of favorites over the 35 years I've been hunting. I use to shoot a lot of big bores because they flat hammer elk but they aren't known for their long range capabilities. Of my bigger guns my 375-358STA and 416 Rem are probably my favorites. I've still killed elk out there a ways with both, 650yds for the 375-358STA and just over 400yds for the 416. My favorite for the last few years has been my 300wsm. Very mild recoil and mine shoots the same velocity as the standard H-1000 loads in a 300wm. This year I built a 300wm on a Christensen carbon wrapped barrel that is probably more accurate then my 300wsm, at least it is on days when I can shoot. So it might be my new favorite for the next few years until I build a new favorite. I shot my 6.5-300wm a lot a few years ago too. It killed 3 or 4 elk and I shot the furthest animal I've ever killed with it, a mule deer at 1006yds.

I like your 375 RUM and 458 Lott analogies Bear. I use to be in diesel performance and have owned both calibers, still own a 458 Lott.

25-06, 'cause all I do is mention that I'm hunting with one, and the deer & antelope give up, hop into the cooler and I give 'em a ride home to my freezer.... :wink: That's in a bolt action Remington 700 CDL that cycles so slick and is so nice to shoot is just icing on the cake...
tXu4Weuh.jpg

KkWG11Tl.jpg

Well, I might have a real soft spot for the 30-06 too, since it's given me a nice variety of game and isn't all that tough to shoot well either:

C690xVcl.jpg

Both the 25-06 and the 30-06 have proven to be excellent cartridges for my purposes. I've owned a number of rifles in each, but have settled on the 700 CDL's which seem almost perfect for me and my hunting.

Regards, Guy

Favorites?.................. the list is still growing. Maybe not as mush as Scotty who has yet to meet a cartridge he does not love........... :>)

#1 is the .270 win because it's got so many things going for it. Mostly more than enough power, foot print, range and hardly any recoil. A long range deer/antelope par excellence that has enough in the tank to take an elk. All that and it's God's cartridge!

Love the 300 WM & 300 Roy............. They flat out get the job done across the board and are the go-to round for so many.

Huge 340 wby fan! Rifle badassery.......... Nothing brings the mail like this one does. Last Saturday I shot a couple of my hand loads when it was 100 degrees and a 240 grain bullet clocked in at 3088 fps. Under 1/2" at 100 yards and I have shot 1.5" groups or less at 300 yards. On the 8th day the Lord sayeth "give me something totally awsome" and Roy did.

Love me some 9.3x64............ Most likely the most versatile cartridge in the world and over 90 years old.....
From deer to Africa's big 5. Able to knock the snot out of a bull elk at 500 yards too. The ballistic sister to the .375 H & H that might have a slight edge down range.

The .300 savage.............. fantastic deer cartridge out to 300 yards and no recoil.

404 Jeffery.............. I've not hunted with one but, it's going to get the job done with plenty left in the tank. Working on loads now and from what I can tell 400 grain bullets from 2300-2500 fps. Again, I don't know squat about Africa's dangerous game but, I think this old cartridge will do me fine someday.

I could probably get by with my 22LR and 30-06, But, I don't.

My favorite rifles are the 270 Winchesters.

My most accurate is the 308.

I like the way my 9.3x62 hits with authority.

Have a customized 458 Win Mag for a stopping rifle.

Have also built/customized various rifles, reloaded and hunted with 7x55, 7.7x58 and 8x57s.

Back