older 700 Remington rifles with SS barrels

Kodiak

Handloader
Oct 4, 2006
In the late 1960s and into the '70s Remington made some magnum caliber rifles with stainless steel barrels. I came across one locally that shows some wear. Ahead of the chamber the throat "looks" a little dark. Did these barrels not hold-up as planed, or is this normal for the SS barrels of those days.

Seeking your expert advice,

Jim

Which cartridge Jim?

It could just be the SS is tarnished a bit. Really hard to tell without a bore scope to be honest. Anything above that is a guess.

Some people weren't aware that using heavy ammonia could darken the stainless used in the barrels. The darkness may be merely cosmetic. In fact, that would be my first guess if I was inspecting the barrel. If there is no evidence of erosion of the throat or formation of an alligator texture to the barrel, I would not be afraid to pick up the rifle. As Scott mentions, a bore scope will quickly tell you what you are dealing with.

The barrel is Marked 7MM Remington Magnum. The stock has the rolled pattern checkering that still looks pretty good.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Jim

I’d bet very very very few of them got shot enough to really get hurt bad. I know I’ve whooped on a few and still haven’t really “burned” one out. I’m trying though.

Granted, it isn't a Remington made rifle, but I have a stainless Winchester chambered in 7RM. My count of rounds down the barrel exceed 1500, and it still delivers 3/4 MOA with 175 grain TBBC and 175 grain PT which is what it delivered when it was new.

Kodiak":1vz5iouo said:
The barrel is Marked 7MM Remington Magnum. The stock has the rolled pattern checkering that still looks pretty good.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Jim

I had one of those, with a rather nice stock, and I surely SHOULD have kept it! Beautiful rifle even with most of the finish worn off from being carried a lot and it would just flat SHOOT!

I'd grab it. (y)

Guy

Didn't the original stainless barrel 700s have some kind of blackening on the stainless?

Bruce, I've only seen 2 of them lately and I'm guessin' it's some type of bluing on (maybe) a bluable metal coating (?) I'm not sure, as the used finish of the barrel is a very dark blue in color.

Jim

I've seen very few civilian barrels 25-06 and above shot out. Most shooters don't have the money or inclination to shoot recoiling rifles enough to use up a barrel. I think I read that some stainless barrels were electroplated with copper which could be turned black with some chemical treatment.

Back