338 RCM

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I’m looking to do a trade with a guy for a ruger 77 Hawkeye in 338 RCM. I was wondering if any of you are loading for this cartridge.

I have a Winchester 70 Classic featherweight in 25 WSSM that I had bought for my daughter. I figured it would be a good scaled drown version of my wife’s 270 stainless featherweight. Sadly it has become apparent that my daughter has little to no no interest in hunting.

A guy offered this ruger 77 in 338 RCM in trade along with dies and some brass. I think it would make a decent rifle to have in the truck, much more fitting than the 25 WSSM. The 25 being a tad light for bears and moose. Basically trading one obscure factory cartridge for another.

From what I can gather performance wise this is just a tad hotter than the 338/06. That’s a pretty good performance window for general Alaskan big game needs.

I didn’t see any nosler load data for the 338 RCM. I’m thinking a do all load with the 200gr AccuBond or 210 Partition would be about ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had no experience with the 338 RCM but was considering one when I feel into my 338wm.
Hornady as I'm sure you know is the only company to offer loaded ammo for it and also the brass for reloading and they also offer the most reloading data for the cartridge.
Do to the specially blend powder Hornady uses don't expect to achieve factory velocities with reloads in the 20" barrel. The 338-06 will out preform it when reloaded and come close to 338wm velocities.
Living where you do and and what you may encounter I would lean toward the 338 RCM over the 25 WSSM. The only thing is collectors value that you might consider with the M70 in 25 WSSM.
I would loose the factory muzzle brake if I would get one since the felt recoil isn't much more then a 30-06 and I value what hearing I have left over feeling a little recoil but that is my opinion.

I would consider the 338 RCM an excellent cartridge, and especially as a truck gun. I have not loaded for it, but I wouldn't be hesitant about grabbing one if I saw one crop up nearby.

If it's one of the "Ruger Compact Magnum" carbines with the open sights...I'd be all over it.

Hodgdon now sells the "magic gunpowder" in bottles...Superformance.

While it's true that when the cartridge was introduced you couldn't replicate the loads with available powder, that's no longer the case. In fact, with newer powders like SP and RL26...you might be able to beat it.

I’d be all over it Bear. It’s got a touch more capacity than a 338-06 so it’s really in good stead being about like an Ackley. Anything you can load in one you can in the other realistically. I don’t believe you’d give up much if any useful performance with the short barrel. The Ruger should have plenty of magazine to load the 200-225’s put plenty to get useful speeds.

I’ll say the 25 WSSM is a want by collectors so you have a bit of an edge.

Just looked, the 338-06 A-Square 69.00 H20 cap, 338 RCM 71 H20 cap... so really you’ve got a sweet little 338-06 that’s a bit handier. Nothing to dislike there if you’ve got plenty of brass.

e1802d950bd8a3926d951487ff2f17a0.jpg

I went ahead and did the trade. It’s a pretty handy little package. Neat looking little round too. It came with dies and a 100 new brass and about 20 loaded rounds.

From looking at the load data from hornady it looks like I should be able to get 2600fps out of 225gr bullet without too much trouble. This works out well considering shooter pro shop has 225 Partition blend for about half price. They also have 200gr etips at a really good price. Either one would probably be very effective but I’m leaning towards the partitions.

It should make for a good knock around rifle for big game.

Thanks, it actually balances pretty well and is quite handy with the vxiii 2.5-8x36 I put on it. That was the scope that I had on the 25 WSSM. At some point I wouldn’t mind getting a different reticle put into it. It is a standard duplex now, I think a German post would be pretty nice. I’ve always liked the post reticle on a closer range rifle.

I also ordered 100 more brass and 200 of those 225 Partition blems. That ought to just about last a lifetime.

A little after midnight yesterday Bear was "thinking about" a trade and by 7:30 the same day, made the trade, attached a scope, ordered more ammo, and calculated how long the ammo will last

When he tells his wife he is going out to shoot dinner, she starts fixing the potatoes, she knows the meat for dinner will be there very soon.

Good luck with your new toy big guy and dont worry too much about your daughter not hunting, she could change her mind--we (women ) do that

Great looking rig bear.. Those 225 Partitions at 2600 seem like a great combo.. Not exactly a slow bullet either.. That looks like a very handy set up though. Congrats on the trade. I think you did well, those Rugers are hell for strong and durable.

Europe":3i34fak9 said:
A little after midnight yesterday Bear was "thinking about" a trade and by 7:30 the same day, made the trade, attached a scope, ordered more ammo, and calculated how long the ammo will last

When he tells his wife he is going out to shoot dinner, she starts fixing the potatoes, she knows the meat for dinner will be there very soon.

Good luck with your new toy big guy and dont worry too much about your daughter not hunting, she could change her mind--we (women ) do that

When you have such limited free time you can’t waste any of it!

I don’t mind if she doesn’t want to hunt, at least she enjoys eating them. She is always welcome to tag along.

I’m going to be heading out after a brief nap today and try to capitalize on one of the 150 caribou left on the quota. I’ve got a spot in mind that normally holds a few bulls, only downside is it will require a fair bit of hiking to get there and will have to carry it back out 3/4-1 mile. At least it will be downhill with the loaded pack!

If this spot doesn’t work out I’ll have to venture up to the 3 ring circus that will be the Denali highway this weekend where 5k guys will compete for the remaining 150 bulls.

Bear, good luck today on your caribou hunt, sounds like a tough hunt but better than competing with 5k other guys for sure. What will you be hunting them with today ?

BTW--do you know how many guys on this forum wish they were going with you today ?--all of them !

good luck Bear

I’ll be using my suppressed 308. I was going to take my son but I guess the prospect of getting rained on and slogging up a mountain for the next few days wasn’t very appealing.

It’s going to be a solo hunt this weekend. It will give me a chance to use my new garmin inreach. At least I can keep in contact with everyone in case anything goes wrong.

Sounds like a great opportunity to try out this new rifle.
Best of luck and have fun!

I won’t have a chance to work up a load for the 338 today, going to use the tried and true 308 load this weekend

I like that 338 you picked up. Should be a real handy, general purpose big game rifle.

Guy

Congratulations on the new rifle.
The 225 gr PT at 2600 fps should cover any thing
you want to hunt or gets in the way.
Good luck on the Caribou hunt!

JD338

We use our Inreach's around here all the time as cell phone signal in the mountains is pretty non-existant. We all used them in AK last year too. It's a bit spendy for the high end plan but you can put your account on hold after hunting season instead of paying a activation fee every year.

Good luck looking for a bou.

Good trade- and I carry the .25 flag pretty high. If you shoot a 25WSSM and like it that's great, but Winchester dropped the ball when they didn't make a 25WSM. It would have been a "weatherby for the masses". IMHO 338 looks pretty versatile and a bigger hammer. CL

Back