Nosler rifles

Bwana1

Beginner
Jan 26, 2006
For those that are considering buying a rifle chambered for 26 Nosler and 28 Nosler, be warned there is no ammo available for these calibers. Have checked Nosler’s web site as well as the major on line retailers, and all sold out. Nosler, how can you allow this to happen?...

Practically everyone who shoots one of the Nosler family of cartridges is a hand loader. I would have to imagine that the demand for factory ammo is pretty limited. Limited enough that it only generates enough demand to warrant running it in batches.

My hunting partner has a 33 Nosler and it's become his favorite hunting rifle. He asked me to teach him to hand load just to feed that beast as factory ammo is simply not available up here.

Bwana1, you've got to be frustrated!

Hey - here's a thought - and I don't know if it would work or not. Can you give Nosler a phone call and see if they'll whip up a few boxes of ammo for you?

Hodgeman made a good point, most of us here on the forum anyway are handloading fanatics, and I just spent a moment reflecting back to see if I'd ever fired a round of factory ammo through either of my two most-used hunting rifles, a 25-06 and a 30-06, and I honestly can't think of a time when I bought a box of cartridges for either rifle. The 25-06 I've had for quite a few years too.

Ah well - not trying to excuse the lack of factory ammo for your rifle - but perhaps Hodgeman is right, and Nosler didn't count on many folks wanting factory ammo for those cartridges? I dunno.

If you haven't already called them, I'm guessing it would be worth a try. They might be able to whip up a couple of boxes for you.

Regards, Guy

Yeah, those two are wicked cartridges but being stuck with one maker of brass and ammo is tough for the folk that don’t handload and still a pain in the butt even if you can’t get brass.

Guy brought up a good point. I don't know if Nosler allocates some ammunition for customers who buy a Nosler rifle. It would be worth a phone call.

JD338

Thanks for the reply’s. Just checked Nosler’s site. 26and 28 Nosler Brass is out of stock....Not going to do handloaders any good! Nosler, what is going on?

Ya, Midsouth Shooters Supply has Norma 26 Nosler brass in stock.

I know you're just looking for something to shoot from your new Nosler rifle, and the lack of ammo is discouraging. Doggone it.

I've got a couple of rifles that are very difficult to find ammo, or even reloading components for, and I have to plan well in advance to make sure I've even got the components on hand to build ammo for them. Factory ammo? Very seldom found, very limited quantities available, and pretty expensive too.

I'm learning from your posts on this, because I am considering buying either a 26 Nosler or a 6.5-300 Weatherby rifle, or building a 6.5 based on either the 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag case...

And I know that any of those options will end up being a handloading proposition, though supposedly factory ammo is avail for the 26 Nosler as well as the Weatherby.

This is a tough time of year for hunting ammo, it is flying off the shelves!

I hope you manage to come up with enough ammo to hunt with your 26 this season!

Regards, Guy

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/ri ... 72421.aspx

Midway has brass for both 26 and 28.

Nos 28 is in very slim supply from what I searched on several sites though. My 280 Rem pretty much requires hand loading also. Although finding factory rounds for it is actually easier now than it has been. It's the gun that started me reloading 25+ years ago. Good luck with your new gun. Save the brass from any factory rounds you shoot. You may eventually decide to reload and you'll be well on your way then.

I believe Bertram is now making brass for both cartridges as well.

Bertram is outta stock. loaded ammo for the 28 ,,,,, good luck. Dallas reloading has some but it’s a premium price. I FINALLY snagged 100 pieces of brass and 2boxes of 160gr accubonds for mine. Been rough but I should be good for a bit..

The Sportsman's Warehouse website show 26 Nosler 140AB and 28 Nosler 160AB as in stock. I know the store here locally has 26 Nosler 140AB on their shelf. Their website also shows 26 & 28 Nosler brass in stock as well.

Back