Dressing up the 348.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Dad's old sling fell apart while stored on the gun all these yrs. I had an old leather sling I put on it but didn't completely trust it on this gun as the sling is on it's last leg, getting spongy and soft, and could tear.

Found a new 2 strap army sling for it. Took me a bit to get it hooked up right so that it quickly slide adjusts loose or tight like it's supposed to, but I believe it's right now. Like the leather pad I replaced on the stock, it needs some age and wear to look better with this gun, but for now doesn't look too bad.

That classic rifle deserves a classic sling, and it looks like you've done that.

Nice.

WOW!!!! Very nice! That rifle is too danged cool!

I saw the thick timber I'll be hunting in a few weeks, kinda wished I could bring myself to carry the 348 but I would beat myself up to walk out of the timber for a chance at 400.. One of these days though.

Thanks all.

Scotty I was fortunate enough to kill a deer with it last yr and am planning on carrying it again this yr for 1 of my tags. I feel your concern though. For me it's not so much the cartridge, as my typical shots are well within the limits of a 348, but more the limiting factor of open sights in dark woods. Those sometimes quick shots that present themselves with a scope as a deer walks through a hole in the brush at 100yds, would be much more challenging if not at times next to impossible with open sights and my eyes not what they used to be.

I got this gun, a Remington 141 pump in 35 rem, and a 8mm mauser, all that I'm planning on putting to use, but all open sights. I just got to try and limit myself to 75yds and under in the woods. But it's a way cool feeling to be filling out your tag after a successful hunt with a classic open sighted rifle laying next to you.

Back