Nosler Heritage or Sako Classic

PaLuke

Beginner
Mar 18, 2017
Hello everyone. I’m trying to decide between a Nosler Heritage or a Sako Classic. Both would be in 7mm magnum. I’ve haven’t shot either and only just handled both. I searched looking for issues with either and there are some complaints with both. Right now I’m thinking Sako. This will be strictly a hunting rifle and my max range for hunting is 300-400 yards. I believe that’s a fairly long shot to begin with. The Sako is 9.5 twist and I’ll load the 150 grain ELDX. if anyone here has had a chance to shoot both which one do you prefer? Thank you.

My wife has a M48 Heritage in 280 AI.
Fantastic rifle. She shoots it out to 600 yards.
She has taken several WT deer with it, longest shots being 300 yards. This fall she will be using it on moose.

JD338

Thanks for the reply. Does she prefer the 280 AI over the 7 mag? I was looking at that cartridge myself for the Heritage. Not much separates the 2 of them.

I have been a fan of the 280 AI for a while and had one made. When she started shooting, she really liked my 280 AI. Ballistics are similar to the 7mm Rem Mag but burns less powder and recoil. The 280 AI is based off the 280 Remington and the 30-06 case so the magazine will hold an additional round vs. the Magnum case size.

JD338

Wow! Great rifles and cartridges being discussed!

Either 280 AI, or 7mm Rem mag is just terrific. I've only had the 7mm Rem mag, a few different rifles. When JD338 and I got to comparing notes a few years ago, I was really impressed with the velocity/ballistics he was getting from his 280AI.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the SAKO or the Nosler. I'd grab the one that fits best.

Since I pass through Bend, Oregon a couple of times each year, I stop in at Nosler's showroom sometimes. It's always a cool little stop on the trip!

I think that if I got the Nosler rifle, I'd order it for pickup there, and include a tour of the facility. That would just be great!

Regards, Guy

Back