35 Whelen

OU812

Handloader
Apr 18, 2006
Well I took my new to me 35 Whelen out for a test run this morning and I have to say I'm quite impressed. Should do very nicely in the mountains for elk. Speed was 2665 3 shot ave. Other 2 single shots were me getting the rifle in paper before shooting for my 3 shot group.

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

NICE! What’s the load Bill? That’s about a peer to my 250 Partition load with RL15.

Can’t hardly beat a great shooting Whelen and I’ve had as much fun running mine out to 600 as any rifle!

SJB358":2pea27gi said:
NICE! What’s the load Bill? That’s about a peer to my 250 Partition load with RL15.

Can’t hardly beat a great shooting Whelen and I’ve had as much fun running mine out to 600 as any rifle!

Scotty the load is 58.0 RL-15, remington brass, fed 210m primer, 225 AccuBond,
col of 2.610. The rifle has a 24 inch Douglas barrel, Carl Gustufson action, McMillan sako hunter stock.

OU812":3sed5zgh said:
SJB358":3sed5zgh said:

Scotty the load is 58.0 RL-15, remington brass, fed 210m primer, 225 AccuBond,
col of 2.610. The rifle has a 24 inch Douglas barrel, Carl Gustufson action, McMillan sako hunter stock.

Yes sir! I always say if you can’t make a Whelen perk with 15 and a 225-250 grain Bullet something is bent!

Very Nice.
Them little 35 cal pop guns will shoot.
Don't know why everyone doesn't own at least one.

truck driver":3h4ls59w said:
Very Nice.

Sure seems to shoot, wouldn't have hurt my feelings to have owned one sooner. I did have a 350 rem mag that shot great too.

OU812":1g9mvykw said:
truck driver":1g9mvykw said:
Very Nice.

Sure seems to shoot, wouldn't have hurt my feelings to have owned one sooner. I did have a 350 rem mag that shot great too.

Seems like most of the .358's I have had have been great shooter's. The little 350 Rem Mag I have puts the 180 TTSX's into small little groups without too much danged trouble.

Is that the Oregon elk rifle of choice this year?

SJB358":avdu1w2s said:
OU812":avdu1w2s said:
truck driver":avdu1w2s said:
Very Nice.

Seems like most of the .358's I have had have been great shooter's. The little 350 Rem Mag I have puts the 180 TTSX's into small little groups without too much danged trouble.

Is that the Oregon elk rifle of choice this year?

Yes it is. My 300 rum with nightforce scope is to much for the ranges i will be encountering. My old 350 shot really well too. Really liked that rifle.

I think the 350 and Whelen are two peas in a pod. I have a nice 7600 I got from Fotis quite awhile back that I kinda always wanted for hunting up North. I put a couple of quick loads together with the Sierra 225 and H4895 and shot the darned thing...

I was sorta amazed how well the ol trombone rifle shot.. Nothing special with it either, just used some old RP cases, BR2's and made the 225's fit the magazine.. Gotta be something to it..

Great looking groups Scotty. From what I'm seeing from every one it seems like you would have try to get a bad load combo. I think a 35 whelen would shoot great with either baby or baking powder and a 225 bullet.

OU812":2lghw76e said:
Great looking groups Scotty. From what I'm seeing from every one it seems like you would have try to get a bad load combo. I think a 35 whelen would shoot great with either baby or baking powder and a 225 bullet.

That's about what I think as well Bill. My 700 is pretty darned good as well with the 15 and 225 Accubonds.

I need to get the gummy old recoil pad replaced and lengthened a little as well, but it has always been a decent rifle. It sure hit elk and deer pretty danged hard..

I would say it's pretty dang good, that is another great group. I'm banking on the 35 hitting an elk very hard.

FOTIS":9b7j9iyo said:
What are the velocities Scottie?

Fotis, the 225 AccuBond ran about 2740'ish if I remember correctly from the 700

I think the 225 Sierra's were in the mid to high 2600's.

Here's how the 200gr ABs will shoot out of a slow twist factory 22" barrel

Attachments

• KIMG0082.jpeg
    KIMG0082.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 832
truck driver":2u8ono1b said:
Here's how the 200gr ABs will shoot out of a slow twist factory 22" barrel

Truck Driver that is an impressive group with some good speed behind it. Good shooting.

Thanks for the compliment.
If you get tired of the rifle let me know I'll give you $1.98 for it :roll: :grin:

truck driver":162momoy said:
Thanks for the compliment.
If you get tired of the rifle let me know I'll give you $1.98 for it :roll: :grin:

I'll keep that in mind as it's always nice to make a little profit from a gun sale. :p I do tend to sell rifles once I kill a bull elk with them or get bored with them which ever comes first. :mrgreen:

Back