Rem Sportmaster 512 Date of Manufacture?

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
We've had this old Remington 512 Sportmaster .22 in the family for a long time. I know dad bought it new, but That's all of the story I know, and there's no left alive today that might know. I'd like to know if anyone can figure the date of manufacture by the codes. It doesn't have a serial number, so pre '68 is as much as I'm able to narrow it down. If I'm reading this right, the code P TT, it was built June, 1948. https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun Articles/remington_barrel_date_code.html
Thanks! It's had a rough life, dad and all three of us boys toted it around shooting squirrels, rabbits, and pop cans. The bore is still bright and shiny and shoots as good as it ever did.

Attachments

• sportmaster.jpg
    sportmaster.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 295
  • codes.jpg
    codes.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 295
  • proof.jpg
    proof.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 295
  • 512.jpg
    512.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 295
I've got one of those, and I think mine is older and yours is later production. The tapered red cocking indicator on the end of the bolt, and the bolt handle shape is what I remember from the '60's. On mine, the safety is a left/right wing on the back of the bolt, and the bolt handle has more of a bell shape. I'll try to get a pic, but not sure how soon. Gotta visit a granddaughter tomorrow!
EE2

Back