Montana Rifle X2/X3

A

Anonymous

Down at the local hook and bullet, there is a Montana X3 in .300WSM on the shelf...nice feeling rifle, weight seems right, balance good, and the machine work is clean.

The only glaring thing aesthetically is the bottom metal. I'm sure it's functionally fine, but the color of the aluminum is so vastly different from the stainless on the action the it gives the gun a "spare parts" look. I realize that aluminum and stainless can be tough to match, but other companies are doing it better and doing it under the $1300 price point.

Did the X2 have a stainless bottom metal? While I can't pretend to be really familiar with the Montana product line, I have seen and handled a few. This mismatch is significant enough, that I spotted it across a room and I can't believe I had one in my hands and didn't see it immediately.

It’s basically a $1300 Ruger. I understand the same company does the casting for both companies receivers. They don’t have the best reputation for quality, and the customer service is horrid.

Sorry not to be able to answer your question. I had a bad experience trying to order an action from them, and I made it known to the sales rep that I would not be sitting quietly when their name came up.

The X2 has stainless steel bottom metal. The X3 uses newer lighter material in the stock and aluminum bottom metal to reduce overall weight. I have an X2 myself in 26 Nosler. I completely disagree with gbflyer. It IS NOT a $1300 Ruger. The MRC 1999 action is a M70 Clone with pre 64 type trigger group. Yes the action is cast but the similarity stops there. Quality is excellent, accuracy sub MOA mostly due to a very good hand lapped barrel. These rifles are not a true production gun, they are basically a semi custom. put together with the parts by each part of a small shop. I agree that the customer service is a little lacking(my rifle too 2 months longer than quoted to be built) and communication was lip service at best. it has gotten better I am told.

I had the stainless-colored bottom metal for a couple of Wby Mark V's Cerakoted in a color that matched the metal. It really turned out well, and would be an option to consider if the color mismatch bothered you.

26NosFan":ehr5urkb said:
The X2 has stainless steel bottom metal. The X3 uses newer lighter material in the stock and aluminum bottom metal to reduce overall weight. I have an X2 myself in 26 Nosler. I completely disagree with gbflyer. It IS NOT a $1300 Ruger. The MRC 1999 action is a M70 Clone with pre 64 type trigger group. Yes the action is cast but the similarity stops there. Quality is excellent, accuracy sub MOA mostly due to a very good hand lapped barrel. These rifles are not a true production gun, they are basically a semi custom. put together with the parts by each part of a small shop. I agree that the customer service is a little lacking(my rifle too 2 months longer than quoted to be built) and communication was lip service at best. it has gotten better I am told.

Glad you got a good one, I really am. I wish I could have gotten one to review as well. It sure wasn’t for the lack of attempting an order. And I certainly wasn’t bashing Ruger. Nothing wrong with a good cast receiver. Glad they lightened them up with an AL bottom metal. Ounces mean everything after packing an arm stretcher all day. [emoji1]

The new changes are said to have taken over 1/2 a pound out of them. I inquired about upgrading mine with the new stock and floorplate but the cost was $750(huh?, whole rifle is $1400!!) mine weighs about 8 3/4 lbs with a full magazine scoped and slung for a hunt.

I like the few I’ve seen. I’ve seen a few of them and one in 6.5x284 and man it felt good. I didn’t notice the BM color but they definitely are an excellent action with the best hunting trigger in the business. A few buddies own them in 26 Nosler and 338 Win and they are absolutely hammers.

hodgeman":n7h560dc said:
Down at the local hook and bullet, there is a Montana X3 in .300WSM on the shelf...nice feeling rifle, weight seems right, balance good, and the machine work is clean.

The only glaring thing aesthetically is the bottom metal. I'm sure it's functionally fine, but the color of the aluminum is so vastly different from the stainless on the action the it gives the gun a "spare parts" look. I realize that aluminum and stainless can be tough to match, but other companies are doing it better and doing it under the $1300 price point.

Did the X2 have a stainless bottom metal? While I can't pretend to be really familiar with the Montana product line, I have seen and handled a few. This mismatch is significant enough, that I spotted it across a room and I can't believe I had one in my hands and didn't see it immediately.

The color match on mine is pretty good. At least, it is not noticeable unless you look for it. See these photos: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38374

Dan

That one is matched way better than the one I handled. That looks great!

NYDAN":3799zfo0 said:
hodgeman":3799zfo0 said:

The color match on mine is pretty good. At least, it is not noticeable unless you look for it. See these photos: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38374

Dan

I don’t want your rifle, because that would be coveting, but I want it’s twin.

Back