8x57 Mauser

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Finally got everything I needed for loading for this gun and got around to messing with it. Loaded some 150 speer hot cor's up the scale and quit at 50.5 which is a 1/2 grain under max at a touch over 2900. Loaded 3 at that and 3 at 50 grains doing 2850. It liked the 2850 speed better.

Loaded up some more at 50 and double checked it today. It done what it did yesterday, put 2 together then walked the third 1 low and left. Whether that's me or what the gun does when it gets heat in it I don't know but either way it's close. Do a little windage adjusting on the redfield peep and we should be on the money.

I love a lot of these old guns.....they're just too good to put out to pasture just yet. That 150 hot cor at 2850 should give deer a very bad day.

I should imagine that load launched from that rifle will put the hurt on any deer you may wish to hunt. Delightful cartridge, for sure.

ST, that is too darned cool! Talk about a wicked thumper! Awesome shooting as well.

Scotty this rifle is stamped BYF which when looking it up it was made in Obendorf Germany. It has several other marking on the receiver including a Nazi eagle.

I'm not usually weird about things but believe it or not that whole thing kinda bothered me initially as it's hard telling what this gun might of been part of. Enough so that I mentioned it to my Dad who promptly told me you can't let things like that bother you, the gun is just an inanimate object.

I plan on enjoying it and putting it to good use. I'm getting old enough to realize I'm a long ways from a young man, yet still occasinally rely on sound advice from my Dad to quickly clear things up.

If I weren't left-handed, I would have one of those, too.

Being German, I would be even more bothered with the symbols.

But tell you what - I would simply have them erased and it would be steel and wood again.

It is not the weapon that does bad things. It's the person behind.

Frank

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

noslerpartition":2dhahe7p said:
If I weren't left-handed, I would have one of those, too.

Being German, I would be even more bothered with the symbols.

But tell you what - I would simply have them erased and it would be steel and wood again.

Frank

Very well said Frank. Soldiers are a product of politics. Not making excuses for horrible things but the average Joe was just serving his country.

ST, I hear you about asking Dad. I still ask my pops before I do big things myself!

I wish my dad was still around! :) An 8mm Mauser is "right there" with the 30-06 in my book. An awesome military round for sure. I also wish I had an MG43 to shoot them with and a pick-up full of ammo, ha.

Very nice rifle. There used to be quite the cottage industry in revamping military rifles to sporting arms and some of the work was just amazing. You just don't see them that often anymore.

My father in law has a Springfield that was re-worked and it's a great shooter.

noslerpartition":1k9pe4vh said:

Frank

which is still true today!

There were many rifles, handguns, bayonets, swords brought back from Europe, Africa, and the Pacific theater. At that time, they were used and displayed without controversy.

I also agree wholeheartedly with Scotty comments. The "soldier" was not ask to fight for their country in those days, they were drafted.

To go a step further, how many rifles have been made from parts of rifles that may or may not have been used in the war ?

Enjoy your rifle, it is a beauty.

Europe":30cce68e said:
noslerpartition":30cce68e said:

Frank

which is still true today!

There were many rifles, handguns, bayonets, swords brought back from Europe, Africa, and the Pacific theater. At that time, they were used and displayed without controversy.

I also agree wholeheartedly with Scotty comments. The "soldier" was not ask to fight for their country in those days, they were drafted.

To go a step further, how many rifles have been made from parts of rifles that may or may not have been used in the war ?

Enjoy your rifle, it is a beauty.

Thanks Europe, I plan on it. It's a good shooter. After adjusting too far to the right it did this with single shots on 3 different days.

I have three 8x57JS AKA 8mm Mauser rifles. They all prefer heavy bullets Sierra 175 SP and 200 Match King and like IMR 4064 powder. I load for my cousin that has a scoped sported Spanish 98 Mauser in 8mm. The 175 Sierra doing right at 2700 fps is a deer's worst nightmare. His rifle has a really ruff bore because his son got hold of some old military ammo that had corrosive priming and did not clean it and it rusted really bad. He asked me to see if I could do something to at least get it accurate enough to hunt deer with inside 100 yards. I gave it a good cleaning and re-crowned the barrel with a brass round head bolt chucked in a drill with valve grinding compound because the crown was terribly worn from hauling the rifle around in his truck muzzle down on the carpet which always has dirt, sand etc. in it. Kind of sanded down the muzzle and crown. I loaded up a load that I know shoots in most 8mm rifles with IMR 4064 and 175 Sierra Sp bullets. When I went to the range it blew me away at how accurate this rifle was with the terrible bore. 5 shots in 1 inch with 4 in a ragged hole. My cousin said that the rifle had never shot that well. He has killed a bunch of deer with it since then. Come to think of it I need to call him and see if he needs some ammo loaded for up coming deer season. He has a tendency to wait to the last minute to want some loaded. LOL

Back