.300 H&H

gbflyer

Handloader
Mar 28, 2017
Gathering parts for a long term project, yet another rifle that I really don’t need[emoji1]

Located a model 70 classic action that I picked up locally. I have a .30 cal Hart barrel sitting here. I’m thinking old school .300 H&H due to my affinity for nostalgic cartridges. And they feed like butter. I was wondering if anyone has one and has had much experience with these new Reloder powders we have available these days? The old H and IMR powders/data basically yielded 30/06 results in my limited experience.

Any thoughts? Not looking to make an Ultra Mag out of it for sure. My days of hot rodding are over[emoji1]

I have an acquaintance with one- a fairly old one- that is perhaps the smoothest feeding rifle I've ever felt.

With modern gunpowders and actions, it's no trick to get far better performance than 1930s loads. You've got one grain less capacity than the .300WM and 7gr more than the .300WSM....so achieving ballistics approximating the two should be simple enough.

A 180gr at 3000ish is plenty for anything that walks this continent, although I'm certain you can work handloads that exceed that.

Build it without delay, you will not regret it. I have hunted all over the world with one. Jamila and her mother have used one successfully for years in Africa and Cheyenne has one and has used it in the North country. All four of us prefer the 200 gr bullet ( swift or nosler ), and imho the 200 outshines the 180.

I just noticed however, you may not want a rifle that is only shot by the females on the forum lol--I am not sure why this is, but my gut feeling is it is an old cartridge and the fellows here like all the new 300's on the market, plus the smaller action required for the new stuff which helps reduce rifle weight and again most of the fellows here like lighter rifles.

Good luck on your build

I’m debating my next 300. I have a 8 twist Krieger 2 contour coming. Kinda thinking the 300 Win, 300 Weatherby or 300 H&H.

gbflyer":1anvwkex said:
The old H and IMR powders/data basically yielded 30/06 results in my limited experience.

I'm not sure why it is...but most manuals and ammunition makers seem to treat the .300 H&H with kid gloves.

My Hornady 10th doesn't list anything more potent than 2850 with a 180gr bullet. Nosler 8 maxes out at 3000 and Hodgdon treats it the same. Factory ammo is also typically anemic. IMHO, none of those loads really explore what the H&H is capable of in a modern rifle. Boddington has written in several places about his love of the .300 H&H and loads that send a 180 at 3200 and a 150 past 3400 fps. Probably not every rifle is capable of that. Layne Simpson has written a couple of pieces that pretty much replicate it with IMR 4955.

Don't get me wrong, a 180AB or PT at 2850 will still knock nearly anything spinning, but you can do that with an '06 and a decent hand load. The 300 H&H is sufficiently obscure these days that it doesn't merit a lot of load development.

Of course, ballistics aren't everything...a good CRF rifle shucking that long, tapered case might be the most foolproof feeding and extracting rifle out there.

....darn it, now I want to build one.

I’ve never been real big into the big 30’s, but I’ve always wanted the old 300 H&H. I also really like the older classic rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbflyer":31qn9r58 said:
Gathering parts for a long term project, yet another rifle that I really don’t need[emoji1]

Located a model 70 classic action that I picked up locally. I have a .30 cal Hart barrel sitting here. I’m thinking old school .300 H&H due to my affinity for nostalgic cartridges. And they feed like butter. I was wondering if anyone has one and has had much experience with these new Reloder powders we have available these days? The old H and IMR powders/data basically yielded 30/06 results in my limited experience.

Any thoughts? Not looking to make an Ultra Mag out of it for sure. My days of hot rodding are over[emoji1]
I'll probably be called out on this but I have a Nosler#One manual printed in 1976 and here are a few loads out of it for the 30-06, 300 H&H and the 300wm. All are book max loads from that time and all will be with a 180gr Nosler Partition bullet
30-06 --- imr 4350 = 55.0grs max for 2724fps imr 4831 = 57.0grs max for 2749fps 22" barrel
300H&H -- imr 4350 = 65grs max for 2992fps imr 4831 = 68grs max for 2990fps 26" barrel
300wm -- imr4350 =70grs max for 3115fps imr 4831 = 73grs max for 3144fps 26" barrel
The 30-06 was at a disadvantage with it's 22" barrel and might reach the 300H&H with a 26" barrel.
To be honest I think there isn't that much difference in the 300H&H or the 300wm.
The load data for the 300H&H was shot from a M70 while the 300wm was shot from a Rem 40X match chamber and Hart barrel. So with a tight chamber the 300H&H might pick up a few FPS with these loads.
Either way what ever you shoot with it won't know the difference.

Rodger, that sounds about right. From memory we got close 3000, a shade under with a 200 gr in a 26 inch barrel. Personally, I would not use anything less than 200 in the H & H. The difference between the 180 and 200 is minor, but the with the bc being better with the 200, why not.

Mike, if you were starting from scratch, what action would you use ? Also you spoke of Boddington, didn't he also advocate the 200 gr ?

Europe":ymhnqwlm said:
Rodger, that sounds about right. From memory we got close 3000, a shade under with a 200 gr in a 26 inch barrel. Personally, I would not use anything less than 200 in the H & H. The difference between the 180 and 200 is minor, but the with the bc being better with the 200, why not.
April though not a lot of experience with the big 300s what little I have I found that the 180gr seemed to be made just for the 300s from the 300Bee on down and seem to be the most accurate in the rifles I owned. Could be the length of the bullet and rate of twist but I don't know nor do I claim to.

Europe":1odjr8s3 said:
Mike, if you were starting from scratch, what action would you use ? Also you spoke of Boddington, didn't he also advocate the 200 gr ?

I'd most likely use a Montana 99 action... it's got all the good attributes of a M70 and is available without buying an entire rifle to take apart. I could use a CZ 550, in the magnum size, they can hold 5 in the mag...but that's likely only available buying a ready made rifle.

I had a horrible Kimber 8400 in '06 that was built on their big action prior to the 84L. With the benefit of hindsight, that would have made a good donor...mostly on account of that it wouldn't shoot for love or money.

I could go either way on the bullet. 180s or 200s would be fine, especially since I'd have to load for it anyway. I know Boddington has sort of backed off the 200gr bullets in the .30s from his earlier books to later ones...that's probably the result of modern bullets that just work and can stick together.

Thank you Mike. The Montana action would be a good one. Would you go with a 26 inch barrel ?

I am considering my swan song to my granddaughter to be a 300 H & H so this is an interesting thread to me.

Also. Without a doubt bullets have gotten better, a lot better. But not just the 180 gr bullets, so has the 200 gr. I know we are talking about how may angels can dance on the head of a pin, but I have had good luck with the 200 and when push comes to shove a little more mass in the same quality bullet can't be all bad. BUT Admittedly, I am old and find myself "dated" more often than not these days. So if I move forward with this project I will keep an open mind about the 180 and appreciate your guidance

Looks like lots of love out there for the H&H. Makes my decision much easier.

I see McMillan builds a supergrade pattern stock. I think that in their “McWoody” molded - in color combination would go along nicely with the SS metal...maybe get Lilja to make me a supergrade contour barrel. Time to start saving[emoji1]

gbflyer":19ja7nwc said:
Looks like lots of love out there for the H&H. Makes my decision much easier.

I see McMillan builds a supergrade pattern stock. I think that in their “McWoody” molded - in color combination would go along nicely with the SS metal...maybe get Lilja to make me a supergrade contour barrel. Time to start saving[emoji1]

I dont think you will be disappointed. A lot of 300's that will do the same or even a bit more than this old girl, but loaded properly she can hold her own, is a classic caliber and feeds like slicing warm butter--good luck

Mike, I have found a couple CZ's and Kilimanjaro rifles on the market. The CZ is in Europe but the Kilimanjaro is in the states. I have never owned one but Aleena had one in a 280AI and it was NICE. The one for sale is made with a Montana action, but it is a 24" barrel and Walnut, which may be a negative for you, as you young fellows all like cheap stocks LOL

I’m looking for a magnum P64 action for mine. It’ll get an EDGE filled standard shell with a 25-26” barrel. Already have the barrel ordered, just picking up pieces. A lot of good thoughts on the 300 H&H. Definitely has all id like to do with either a 180 or 200.

I have a 300 H&H Remington 721. I haven't worked with 180-200 grain bullets as large hogs and maybe a mule deer are what I go for. It's in the shop right now to cure a bolt release problem. It does feed and extract smoothly. I first saw a 300 H&H cartridge about sixty years ago and always wanted one. I think the cartridge is just plain cool!

If my present M70 300wm would have been chambered for 300 H&H I would have still jumped on it with both feet. And now that I have all the 300 H&H parts in the action guess what I will rebarrel it for when I burn this barrel out. :)>)

ethmoid1999":1bc23uas said:
I have a 300 H&H Remington 721. I haven't worked with 180-200 grain bullets as large hogs and maybe a mule deer are what I go for. It's in the shop right now to cure a bolt release problem. It does feed and extract smoothly. I first saw a 300 H&H cartridge about sixty years ago and always wanted one. I think the cartridge is just plain cool!

Man that oughta be a sweet piece. I can't speak to the 721's personally as I've never owned 1, but handled a few. Sometimes you can feel quality and that's what the few I worked seemed like. Tight, smooth, slick actions. Quality machine work from an era gone by, from what I could tell.

I always wanted a 300 h&h but to date don't own one. I need to change that. (y)

The 721 rifles are cheap on Gunbroker. I've had 3-4 in 30-06 and planned to build. Then I'd shoot them. Every one shot good. Anyway, nephews and friends got those. I was hot for a 280 AI. Just couldn't stand to do it to a good, working rifle.

Back