Single shots from a cold bore.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
As far as hunting, the ones that count. No allowance for the rifle or shooter to "settle" in.

The old mauser gets an A+ in that regard. I'm impressed. It was shooting slightly left and I discovered the peep was already all the way right and that's because the previous owner (or someone) also had the front sight driven out way to the right. Moved the front sight back to center where it belonged.

That now put me 1.5 inches right of center. Moved the peep left not real far I didn't think, and went clean off the paper. Left it sit and shot the springfield, then moved the peep on the mauser all the way right like it was before, then back slightly left this time, and shot again. REAL close. Went home.

Went back the next day for a single cold bore shot and it cut that bullet hole just above. All done.

Today, 2 days later I set up again and took a single shot and quit, it cut the first shot from 4 days ago, just below.

There's much newer rifles with a more precise aiming system via a scope that can't do that on cold bore shots. I've had a few.

That is way cool, how far are you shooting with the peep sights? I can use them up close but not much past 50 yards.

Elkman":199iprmn said:
That is way cool, how far are you shooting with the peep sights? I can use them up close but not much past 50 yards.

For working up loads, and the little bit of target shooting I've done so far on all my open sighted guns, 348, 35 rem, and this gun, 50 yds.

Target shooting I would be very comfortable with both the 35 rem and this gun at 100 as they both have peep sights and both seem extremely accurate at 50. In the woods might be a different story, all depends how clear the sight picture is at the time. As you know without a scope your sight picture in the woods can REALLY vary.

Some fine shooting on your part. I'm afraid my eyes disqualify me from even approximating such precision these days.

DrMike":2tix74n7 said:
Some fine shooting on your part. I'm afraid my eyes disqualify me from even approximating such precision these days.

Thanks Dr Mike. My eyes are not what they used to be, but the peep sights are a great aid as of now. I can still see good at distance but am getting where I have to hold things out at arms length to read.

The 1'st day was sunny, humid, and warm. Next day was sunny but much more pleasant. Today was heavy overcast....enough so I was concerned I wouldn't be able to see the target right for a fair test, but when I set up I could make it out so I gave it a whirl.

Not saying that I've been blinded by advancing age, but I do a fair amount of hunting by braille. Feel fur, shoot. Feel teeth, go to the side. Feel something else--TEXAS HEART SHOT!

Lol Dr Mike! Well you can take solace in the fact that you're apparently very brave.

Back