Long range rimfire trainer

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
While at the range the other day I was shooting at the 300 yard berm when an acquaintance of mine showed up and pulled out a very impressive looking 22 lr. It was a savage MKII with a 6-24x50 vortex.

He set up a couple steel targets from 200-300 yards and went to plinking.

After a while we got to talking and he offered me to send a few downrange. I’ve got to say it was very satisfying to pull the trigger and then wait that unbelievably long pause until the almost unnoticeable, ping.

I enjoyed it so much that I set about to get one of my own. It will be a great way to kill time while waiting for barrels to cool and cut costs while still having plenty of trigger time.

After doing some reading and review watching I decided to give the Ruger Precision rimfire a look. They happened to have one at Cabela’s and I was pretty impressed with it. Ended up taking one home with me.

I took it home and put a few frills on it. I also ordered a SWFA SS 10x42 to stick on top. I think it will be a perfect fit. I’m looking forward to getting some glass on it and getting out there to the range.

128d29f4f62e7e09be8debffb326ea3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":2j3ltchk said:
While at the range the other day I was shooting at the 300 yard berm when an acquaintance of mine showed up and pulled out a very impressive looking 22 lr. It was a savage MKII with a 6-24x50 vortex.

He set up a couple steel targets from 200-300 yards and went to plinking.

After a while we got to talking and he offered me to send a few downrange. I’ve got to say it was very satisfying to pull the trigger and then wait that unbelievably long pause until the almost unnoticeable, ping.

I enjoyed it so much that I set about to get one of my own. It will be a great way to kill time while waiting for barrels to cool and cut costs while still having plenty of trigger time.

After doing some reading and review watching I decided to give the Ruger Precision rimfire a look. They happened to have one at Cabela’s and I was pretty impressed with it. Ended up taking one home with me.

I took it home and put a few frills on it. I also ordered a SWFA SS 10x42 to stick on top. I think it will be a perfect fit. I’m looking forward to getting some glass on it and getting out there to the range.

128d29f4f62e7e09be8debffb326ea3f.jpg

I used to shoot 22 pistols at 100 yards for practice for my 44’s some. It never occurred to me to try a 22 rifle at those distances. That’s does sound like great practice for downtime at the range. You have me interested in trying it myself! Thanks for sharing, and I bet that little Ruger precision will be a boat load of fun and accurate to boot!

Should be both fun and useful. Our gun club ran a series of rimfire precision matches, styled after the center-fire PRS matches, this year. Relatively inexpensive, and lots of fun!

Guy

Guy Miner":2f9vtzhd said:
Should be both fun and useful. Our gun club ran a series of rimfire precision matches, styled after the center-fire PRS matches, this year. Relatively inexpensive, and lots of fun!

Guy
That sounds like a blast

Over here, kids are not allowed to use anything bigger. And even for rimfires they have to be 14...
This is how I introduce my elder son to shooting with at least a little more bang than airguns. Just 100 meters, but he enjoys.
And I have to admit I bought it a little bit for myself, too ;-)
2b1900acf6727cae2f766a5bd476d8ce.jpg

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I started my kids shooting rimfire at 5 yrs old. Is that a law there?
634748c1c9f99c3cfb512aab4ee8d993.jpg

I've used a scoped Marlin 783 .22 magnum for decades. I like the .22 magnum better ( for me) as it beats the wind better. I've 'almost" hit prairie dogs and Squeaks ( thrown dirt in their face!) at atad over 250yds with the Remington Vmax type 32gr, ( I think been awhile) Anyhow its very good, no, excellent practice! I grew up shooting at 8yrs old, my dad was an excellent teacher too. He always had me shoot at 'very small targets", then he would start a competition between us. It was just the right amount of 'stress" to put on me and make me "hunker down", ha. I'm glad all you guys have your kids shooting! Good luck to you all..

Got the 10x SWFA SS in the mail today. Just had time to mount it and level everything out before heading to work. I can’t wait to get out and send some rounds down range!
5da2e8ce893d57a45f225b14ff932e4d.jpg

936873662012f22c22e651bb7ae9b0f7.jpg

Does a 22MAG count? This is the rifle that is the most fun to shoot by far. Older Savage 93FV, Boyds stock and a Bushnell 4-12AO. CL

Cool rifle! CL

Very nice setup. I'm with CL, I have a Savage B22 Magnum. I take it to the range and shoot it while my barrel is cool on my other rifle, it is a tack driver. Just put a Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10 on it, many times it shoots better good than my centerfire rifle.

cloverleaf":2j4smszy said:
Does a 22MAG count? This is the rifle that is the most fun to shoot by far. Older Savage 93FV, Boyds stock and a Bushnell 4-12AO. CL

Cool rifle! CL
It's a rimfire - so it counts

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

That 22Mag is fun 'cause it can shoot like this....sometimes.... Full confession- the other two shots in the five shot "cloverleaf" group are under the penny. Still - fun! And because I know it shoots well there are no excuses when it dosent!! :) CL

Groups from last week at 100 yds:

Washington State is about to classify all semi-auto rifles as "assault rifles" including the 10/22's I got for my sons and my wife long ago. Then that will require special licensing to own one, giving away privacy of medical records, renewing an application to own one every five years or so... Sheesh!

Meanwhile - I don't have a "tactical" type 22, just my good ol' Marlin 39A, which has been a very nice lever action 22 for a long time. I do love shooting that rifle.

Regards, Guy

I got out to shoot the RPRR today. It was a blast. I shot high velocity, standard and subsonic loads to test out.

Neither of the high velocity loads shot that well, CCI minimags and stingers. They were both 2” or worse 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

The best of the supersonic loads was the federal pistol match load. 5 shot groups averaged just over 1” for 5 shot groups.

The best group by far was the 40gr CCI green tag. This was a 10 shot group at 100 yards.
97a9fa5b0f439d4b388f64a141ae10be.png

The Aguila 40gr subsonic load turned in this 10 shot group.
10e24d731b639a4da425a63652138f7d.png

I’m looking forward to trying out some match loads. I’ve heard really good things about the ely tenex, and federal gold metal match.

Back