...Winchester Mod. 54...

wildgene

Handloader
Jul 4, 2011
...LGS has a original Mod. 54 in .30 Govt, anyone have an idea what it's worth?, it's marked $500, seems like a 'bargain' to me...

I had a Model 54 many years ago. This was, of course, the precursor to the Model 70. I confess that I have no idea what they are going for now, but if it is in good condition, I should imagine it is worth that much.

If it's all original and the wood and metal good with a clean bore in good shape I would think it would be worth that.
Use to see lots of them in shops but they have dried up and are hard to find anymore.

I gave $400 for mine but it was chambered to the 30-30 Win. (y) Stock could stand refinishing and the checkering is quite worn. The bluing is just about all gone but the bore is as bright and shiny as a new dime. It has a factory installed Redfield receiver sight and it's very accurate considering I don't shoot metallic sights of any kind very well. The M54 in 30-30 isn't the easiest model to find.

If the one you're looking at is reasonably clean and unaltered in any way I'd say $500 is not an unreasonable price. You might talk him down a bit but if not, you decide.
Paul B.

wildgene":27ob2d1x said:
...LGS has a original Mod. 54 in .30 Govt, anyone have an idea what it's worth?, it's marked $500, seems like a 'bargain' to me...

Man, I wished you would’ve told me that before I left Wyoming! 500 bucks is a steal if it’s decent.

Back