22-250 re-barrel, What barrel & twist?

mcseal2

Handloader
Nov 1, 2010
A few years back I bought an early 80's Remington 700 in 22-250. I figured the barrel was shot out when I saw it for sale, it looked like it had been someone's prairie dog rig. It had a HS precision stock, Timney trigger, and fixed 12x Leupold. The barrel wasn't shot out then, but is now after I've put a lot of the hot Hornady Superformance 50gr V max loads through it.

I bought it cheap figuring it was worth what I paid for components and got a few years and a pile of coyotes out of it so I'm happy. Now it's time to put some money into it though. I looked at selling it and getting a Ruger American, but by the time I put a B&C stock on the American and buy a scope it will be smarter just to fix up the gun I have.

I'm thinking this is primarily going to be a truck gun so I don't want to get crazy with barrel length. I am using the AR rifles for most of my calling now and plan to add a 22 Nosler upper to handle any calling duties I'd have grabbed the 22-250 for in the past. I'm thinking a 22" barrel is where I'll end up. I plan to shoot 50 to 60gr bullets through it and not the heavy stuff. I have a 243 and 25-06 if I want more bullet than that. With this being a truck gun barrel weight isn't a huge deal so I'm thinking a heavy sporter or light bull barrel will be just right. I'm leaning toward a stainless #4 or a fluted #5 but it varies between barrel companies. I'll probably cerakote the whole set-up when it's done since it's a blued action. I have a Leupold VX III 6.5-20x that works just fine for a truck gun scope. I don't find the smaller field of view an issue when I'm not using it calling, 6.5x is just right for most shots and if I have time and a great rest I can dial it up.

After all that rambling, what barrel brand and twist would you go with? I want this to be a tack driver that drops a pile of coyotes.

Thanks for the help.

Consider a criterion barrel in 8 twist if you want to screw on yourself. Otherwise, any cut rifled barrel maker would do.

I’d go 7 or 8 twist, Krieger, Bartlein or Brux. Criterion RemAge are pretty danged tempting as well, you could throw your own barrel on it in whatever contour you like. I’d probably consider the 22 CM since excellent brass is available and it’ll be an excellent foundation for the build. I’ve got an 8 twist 22-250 and with today’s powders like RL17 and 26 there isn’t much I wish for with 75 grain Swift Sciroccos at 3300+, the 22 CM is just a smidge better. 22” sounds perfect and danged handy as well.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/barr ... on-remage/

Thanks guys.

I bet those Sciroccos at that speed are wicked!

For this gun I'm thinking I'll stick with the lighter ones. I have shot a lot of coyotes and the ones I shoot from the truck I very seldom have time to range. Often I'm tracking them in the scope waiting for a quick stop and trying to bark or howl to make it happen. A lot of those shots happen in the 250yd range early in the fall and 350 or so after deer season. I find it hard to estimate range while tracking one through the scope, and if I pull my head off the glass to guess range when they stop I'm to late getting back on target to get the shot. Even using the reticle to range can be to slow. My best "fix" for this over the years has proven to be something flat shooting as can be. I used to load 70gr Ballistic tips in a 6mm to 3812fps and that was excellent for this type shooting. The 22-250 with the 50gr factory Hornady Superformance load pushing that bullet to 4000fps was also. It's not as much about BC for those shots inside 350 as it is speed and a short time of flight.

With time to range, dial, and take the shot I'll take the higher BC slower bullet every time. For quick shooting at a target that if I'm lucky will stop for a second or two, I'll take the speed. Actually I guess I like both if I can have them, that's why I shoot the 264 win mag for so much of my big game hunting, but I have to pick my poison for a low recoil truck gun.

That 22 Creedmoor or even the 6 Creedmoor are really wicked looking but I want to keep this rig simple. Also having the 6mm, pair of 243's, and 25-06 to shoot the heavier stuff keep me wanting this rig shooting the light stuff fast.

mcseal2":38wmir3l said:
Thanks guys.

I bet those Sciroccos at that speed are wicked!

For this gun I'm thinking I'll stick with the lighter ones. I have shot a lot of coyotes and the ones I shoot from the truck I very seldom have time to range. Often I'm tracking them in the scope waiting for a quick stop and trying to bark or howl to make it happen. A lot of those shots happen in the 250yd range early in the fall and 350 or so after deer season. I find it hard to estimate range while tracking one through the scope, and if I pull my head off the glass to guess range when they stop I'm to late getting back on target to get the shot. Even using the reticle to range can be to slow. My best "fix" for this over the years has proven to be something flat shooting as can be. I used to load 70gr Ballistic tips in a 6mm to 3812fps and that was excellent for this type shooting. The 22-250 with the 50gr factory Hornady Superformance load pushing that bullet to 4000fps was also. It's not as much about BC for those shots inside 350 as it is speed and a short time of flight.

With time to range, dial, and take the shot I'll take the higher BC slower bullet every time. For quick shooting at a target that if I'm lucky will stop for a second or two, I'll take the speed. Actually I guess I like both if I can have them, that's why I shoot the 264 win mag for so much of my big game hunting, but I have to pick my poison for a low recoil truck gun.

That 22 Creedmoor or even the 6 Creedmoor are really wicked looking but I want to keep this rig simple. Also having the 6mm, pair of 243's, and 25-06 to shoot the heavier stuff keep me wanting this rig shooting the light stuff fast.

Makes sense to me Keith. 55-60 grain bullets that are sleek wont stink if they are pushed quick. The extra twist won’t hurt a darned thing either. Found no negative for overspinning good Bullets.

I would confirm what Scotty said about barrels. A good cut rifled barrel from Brux, Bartlein, Krieger, or Rock Creek should serve you well.

A buddy of mine picked up a Tikka 22-250 with a 1:7 barrel...some sort of a special run for Whittakers.

Holy cow...77gr bullets at warp speed. It smokes wolves much further than makes sense.

Thanks everyone. My buddy put a Bartlein on his 300 win mag after he did a lot of research. I was leaning that way and haven't heard any bad about them here. I've got a Kreiger, Pac Nor, and Lilja on rifles that I'm happy with too. It seems like different barrel makers are favored for different bore diameters. When I got my 6mm barrel for example Kreiger was what I was told to get by a lot of shooters. I am not up on what to get right now, haven't built anything for a little bit.

1-7, 1-8 would be a good twist for heavies. A heavy .224 is a game changer once ranges start to extend past 300 yards.

I have a 1-7 22 creedmoor, running 95gr SMK @ 3085fps. It’s a lot of fun to shoot longer ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman":1hezcmkm said:
A buddy of mine picked up a Tikka 22-250 with a 1:7 barrel...some sort of a special run for Whittakers.

Holy cow...77gr bullets at warp speed. It smokes wolves much further than makes sense.

I have the same one.. It is a demon with everything I have shot thru it to this point.

A young lad that I know just had a 22-250AI made for himself, it is a 1-7" twist Benchmark, he is very pleased with it. They have just recently changed the laws here in Saskatchewan as you can now shoot center fire 22 calibers for big game.
I have a couple of aftermarket barrels on my rifles and have been please with their performance in this day and age I am not sure if any of the main manufacturers make a bad barrel :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

The only reason I went with the 22 creedmoor is that it feeds better in an AICS style magazine. It also has just a touch more case capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back