Tripod training with the 22 RPRR

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I took the 22 RPRR out for some tripod training after breaking in the new steel today.

The 4” swinger was pretty much unmissable at 100 yards, a touch tougher at 150 and 200. The 9x12 square was reasonably easy to hit at 300.

The tripod while much more stable than offhand it’s still not as solid as prone or shooting from a bench. Using the sling ran under the tripod adding down pressure. This really cuts down the vertical wobble. I still need to work on my horizontal stability.

Another cool thing about shooting the 22lr at these ranges is you can watch the bullet drop in and hit the steel. It was even more visible once they turned the lights on. It won’t be long before most of my shooting will be under the lights.

a3f813ac9fd569a1696438ea9ea08ffc.jpg

570eff67054acf50585e0a094e786d57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o.k. I'll bite lol

I thought you had sun right now although you soon would start losing it, maybe all of it, if your as far north as Mike and cheyenne ???

Two. I am assuming your freezer is full or you would be practicing on an animal not steel

otherwise, it was a fun day and good practice for you.

Bear, I deliberately waited for you to receive some intelligent responses, but since you didn't --(-;

All joking aside, it looks like you had a fun day at the range, or is this out of your back door ?

I have never seen one in real time but watched a video about them sometime around the beginning of this year. They look like a pretty cool rifle to play with

It was just a fun day at the range with wife and daughter. I stayed later to do some shooting with the rifle. They mostly enjoy shooting handguns.

Anchorage is constantly gaining or losing about 5 minutes of light a day. 24 hours of light at its best, about 3 hours of twilight at its least. We are getting sunset around 6:30-7 here in anchorage right now. My range is open till 10 so after dark you either have to move to a range with lights or set up a light on the target. I don’t normally fight the weekend crowds at the range and head in about 6 pm when it closes to non members. There are less and less crowds as you move into winter. I was talking to the RSO and he tipped me off to dolor LED yard spot lights. He said a couple guys use them to illuminate targets on the unlit ranges. They just stick into the ground/snow a few feet in front of target. I guess it works quite well.

The great thing about shooting the rimfire is that I was able to get much more trigger time vs centerfire. I regularly do shoot off the tripod at least a few rounds 5-10 every trip but the extra cost of centerfire ammo always limits it. At $8/100 for rimfire ammo I was able to get 10x the trigger time in.

It also ups the challenge. This range is limited to 300 yards. Any of my long range centerfire rifles are almost boring to shoot at such close ranges.

Thank you Bear for taking the time to share this with us. I hear you about the cost of shooting a rimfire vs a centerfire, plus no recoil, hot barrels, noise, etc. 22.s are a ton of fun to play with and that video I saw of your rifle was very very cool. The stock adjusts so your daughter, wife, and you can all enjoy it, nice unit.. I have zero knowledge about the led lights but it sounds like it would be very interesting.

All these new rifles, lighting, scopes, are so very very cool and I am sorry I missed that part of shooting. Our rifles when I was your daughter age were very basic. I envy you and your family Bear, so many new cool types of firearms to enjoy and I am glad you are doing so.

Did you ever try a monopod at the stock-end with a bipod? For me it helped a lot when shooting prone

NP

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I have a monopod that I often put on different rifles. What I’ve found is that when shooting on a hard surface I’m better off with a sandbag as the hard monopod will “bounce” during recoil. It seems to work pretty well on soft surfaces like grass. I use atlas bipod on most of my rifles, and a chassis specific bipod on another.

When I shoot off the tripod I am standing or sitting. It’s actually pretty versatile for a variety of positions from sitting, kneeling, and standing.

This is the tripod setup I have been using. It’s a PIG0311G combined with a pig saddle from shadowtech llc. I have found this to be an excellent product. It has a very wide range of adjustment from 11”-61”, combined with a ballhead and that changes from 16”-67” with 3 leg angle options.

9140221923b6c1d4944e750e81cd5a16.jpg

After hunting with the tripod the last couple years I think it’s a worthy tool to have in your toolbox. I doubt I’ll use it every time but there are enough times when having it could make the difference between being able to make a shot and having to move to another shooting position.

When on a downhill or sidehill situation standard prone is not often possible, in wet marshy tundra it can keep you from laying in a couple inches of water. When caribou hunting there is often no trees to use as a standing or kneeling rest, often taller grass or rocky ground can make prone impossible. It also doubles as a walking stick. While a little heavier than my spotting scope tripod it’s not bad and with quick swap base can switch from spotting scope to rifle in seconds.

479b8b2b2f9a0433d3c82ef586b10ede.jpg

I’ve marked the bipod legs in a couple spots to help speed up setup for hunting. Playing with different ways to use the sling to help tighten things up. There is definitely a trick to it. I know I figured more out last night in a 100 rounds of rimfire than I have up to now. Little things that add up to make it more comfortable or stabile. For example spinning the ball head around to easier reach the pan lock.

d289593382190892233c156d18368f55.jpg

I know a lot of guys on here aren’t into the “tactical” style stuff. I’m not much of a couch ninja either. I do like precision and integrating that into my hunting style. I think there is a lot Hunter could take away from the PRC and tactical crowd that could make us much more effective at longer ranges. I agree it’s not necessary for most Midwest and east coast style stand hunting but is there any down side to shooting more accurately?

Cool setup bear.
Whose ball head setup did you use? Is it part of the Shadowtech saddle?

It’s just an inexpensive vanguard BH250 ballhead I got off eBay. I just had to get one that would handle the weight of my heavier rifles, I ended up getting one rated for 44 pounds.

I use a little different set up but also like the tripod for shooting from. I run a Promaster 525 tripod set up with an Outdoorsmans pan head and their shooting rest. It's not as heavy or steady as yours, but works well for me. I shot my moose off it at 300 yards this year and have taken some deer with it in the past. The 2 yolks on the shooting rest make it steadier than a single y yoke and faster than a saddle. The separate adjustments on the pan head for tilt and pan seem faster for me to line up than a ball head while balancing the gun with my other hand. It works great with my 15x binos or spotter too.

Downside is this set up is not cheap. The Outdoorsmans stuff especially is really pricey but I don't expect to ever have to replace it, it's well built. I had an Outdoorsmans tripod but ended up selling it. The Promaster works at more heights than the compact medium Outdoorsmans tripod I had and is similar in weight. It also has a leg that can unscrew to be a trekking pole when I skimp on weight and leave mine at the truck, then end up packing meat out.

Back