cheek pad and ammo carrier for a pre64?

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
My daughter has commandeered my pre64 Model 70 30-06. I mentioned it elsewhere about her being a lefty, now being a righty, and she shoots the 06 well.

She's got a bit of a struggle with the stock drop and getting the scope aligned quickly, which I understand, since she's used to a good cheek weld and using that as her alignment on the scope.

There's seemingly a million options out there...I'd like something more "classic" looking than the really "tactical" options I've seen, but if it can carry her hunting ammo, that'd be even better. Just something to take up the drop in the m70's stock. My 06 was made in 49, so early post-war or possibly transition era type drop...meaning there's a fair bit of it.

I'm used to shooting with my cheek off the stock with that rifle, but it'd help her a lot to get a good cheek weld.

Our early youth season just ended, and I have until 11/26 to get something for her (that's when our general rifle season opens).

Open to any suggestions.....

Thanks!

Get a McMillan or similar stock with the aluminum bedding block in a classic style and put that on the rifle just for her while she uses it. Obviously put the wood stock in the gun safe for storage or somewhere else where it won't get banged up. The new profile on the stock should fit her a lot better and make the scope line up better for her and maybe for you as well. You might like how it feels yourself in getting on the scope and in the felt recoil which might seem just a little bit less with the newer design. You/she would still be hunting and shooting with an awesome pre-64 Model 70 and in 5 minutes the wood stock could be put back on and you would never know the action and stock had ever been apart!!

See fixed it for you!
David

David - I think that's a splendid idea! A stock swap can completely transform the way a rifle fits and handles.

Guy

Guy Miner":24282i23 said:
David - I think that's a splendid idea! A stock swap can completely transform the way a rifle fits and handles.

Guy

AMEN! Tom shoot me a text. I think I have something for you.

Back