Picked up kind of a rare one.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Some of you may recognize this gun or even have one, others may have never even heard of it.

This thing is right in the wheel house of what I like. For me it's in the same company as Pop's model 71 as far as the cool factor. I'm jacked. I wanted it as soon as I seen it, and the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Was obviously re-blued at some point in it's life, the bluing is too even for a gun this age, I don't care. Also had the checkering cleaned up at some point as it's too sharp and crisp for a gun this age, but again I don't care.

Savage model 1920 in 250-3000. The first bolt action light sporter weight, high powered rifle produced by an American company for the public. This one comes in just over 6 lbs. From what I can find it was produced from 1920-1928 in both 250-3000 and 300 savage, with less than 12,000 made. This one has a serial number in the low 2,000's so I'd guess it at a 1921.

The action design is a controlled feed mauser type borrowed heavily from the 98 and 03 springfield right after the first world war, but in a short action. I apologize in advance for the picture bomb, but I think it's a neat gun.

Got some dark spots in the wood here and there throughout, but that just adds to the character. This one seems legit throughout right down to the sling swivel type and design.

Precise checkering lines and fit and finish on these old hand worked guns.

Tang safety on a 1920 mauser type bolt action. Who would've thought.

Bolt peep sight with a flip down tab within the peep. Flip it down like it is here and you have a larger hunting peep to look thru, flip it closed and it's a small hole target peep. The base is dovetailed into the peep aperture.

Has a Marbles rear sight filler. I haven't figured out yet if the bolt peep is a Marbles or something supplied from savage.

Has a patent date of 1916-1919.

The front sight lug is integral to the barrel. It was milled as part of the barrel and not a separate piece.

It's worn bad from age, but it still has a visible Savage Indian on the metal butt plate.

salmonchaser":2yjfq9dn said:
Absolute cool factor, congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I like it a lot. Talked to 2 old gun smiths since I got it. 1 had never heard of it, the other said he seen 2 in person, in his life.

But cool factor or not, I wont let myself go overboard on a gun. That's the other part I was really happy with in the end. Got this gun for $75 more than I seen a far less than stellar model 788 bring at an auction a couple weeks ago. Actually there were 2 of them, a factory stock somebody put a woods scene on, and a monte carlo stocked 1 that had a stock perhaps uglier than an original.

Now that is very cool. So lightweight!

Enjoy that interesting ol' rifle.

Guy

Guy Miner":2chjjql8 said:
Now that is very cool. So lightweight!

Enjoy that interesting ol' rifle.

Guy

Guy, the early ones like this one are said to run from just under 6bs, to just over. This one is 6lbs 4oz according to a digital scale. In researching the gun, around 1926 to 1928 they added almost a lb to the overall weight. About half in wood weight, and the other half in the barrel. I suspect that was because of the 300 savage. A 300 savage is a fairly mild cartridge, but in a 6lb gun with a metal butt plate I bet it knocked you a pretty good rap!

Shadetree, that’s an AWESOME score. Ol Larry Koller is grinning. That is one awesome rifle. I’m officially jealous!

Beautiful rifle ShadTree! That is a special find. Hope you manage to take some deer with it. The 250-3000 cartridge has always intrigued me. Seems like that would be a great little Whitetail round.

SJB358":w29emqbp said:
Shadetree, that’s an AWESOME score. Ol Larry Koller is grinning. That is one awesome rifle. I’m officially jealous!

Well I know I done something right if I caused you a little green eye, because you got some cool stuff! :grin: Wish you could see this gun in person Scotty, it is obviously not in original condition, but whoever revived it done a real good job. It's the best buy I made in a yr. I want to contact Savage and get an official date of manufacture and see what I can find out about that bolt peep.

Cleveland48":w29emqbp said:
Beautiful rifle ShadTree! That is a special find. Hope you manage to take some deer with it. The 250-3000 cartridge has always intrigued me. Seems like that would be a great little Whitetail round.

Thanks. It's too late in the yr to fool with it now, but I want to take my time this spring and work up some loads for it. Bore looks clean with crisp rifleing. This should have the older 1 in 14 twist so I'll probably have to work with 87 grain bullets or round nose if I'm using 100 grainer's. Supposedly the older 1 in 14 twist rifles varied somewhat in the twist rate so occassionally you find one that will stabalize the longer 100 grain pointed bullets.

ShadeTree":nx47rjfn said:
SJB358":nx47rjfn said:

Well I know I done something right if I caused you a little green eye, because you got some cool stuff! :grin: Wish you could see this gun in person Scotty, it is obviously not in original condition, but whoever revived it done a real good job. It's the best buy I made in a yr. I want to contact Savage and get an official date of manufacture and see what I can find out about that bolt peep.

Cleveland48":nx47rjfn said:

Thanks. It's too late in the yr to fool with it now, but I want to take my time this spring and work up some loads for it. Bore looks clean with crisp rifleing. This should have the older 1 in 14 twist so I'll probably have to work with 87 grain bullets or round nose if I'm using 100 grainer's. Supposedly the older 1 in 14 twist rifles varied somewhat in the twist rate so occassionally you find one that will stabalize the longer 100 grain pointed bullets.

I’d be DIEING to hunt this one. I hear great things about the 87 grain Speer. The 250 Savage is one I’ve always wanted but to have one in a 1920, well, that’s just too darned cool. Such a cool rifle and amazing really when you think of the time it came from.

I’m with you though, whoever restored it did a fantastic job. I’m truly looking forward to seeing what it does. I can’t believe you aren’t going to try and get it out!

I’d be beside myself trying to get a huntable load for it.

Beautiful rifle Shadetree!

Even if it has been refinished, they did a nice job, and should be a joy to shoot and hunt with.
You are going to love the 250 Savage! We love ours in Rugers (No.1 and Model 77 RSI), and a 250 AI in Model 700 CDL that shoots 1" groups with factory Winchester ammo.
Mild mannered cartridge that is just plain fun to shoot, and can be very accurate too.

Hope that you enjoy it as much as we do ours!

There are some 90 ( Nosler Ballistic Tip, Sierra HPBT and Hornady GMX) and 95 gr (Berger) bullets out there that may be more suitable in your slower twist than the 100 gr bullets.

SJB358":3emim694 said:
ShadeTree":3emim694 said:
SJB358":3emim694 said:

Cleveland48":3emim694 said:

I’d be DIEING to hunt this one. I hear great things about the 87 grain Speer. The 250 Savage is one I’ve always wanted but to have one in a 1920, well, that’s just too darned cool. Such a cool rifle and amazing really when you think of the time it came from.

I’m with you though, whoever restored it did a fantastic job. I’m truly looking forward to seeing what it does. I can’t believe you aren’t going to try and get it out!

I’d be beside myself trying to get a huntable load for it.

Lol. Sometimes you gotta slow down and enjoy the ride my friend. No, if all I had was my scoped 30-06 I'd be making arrangements tomorrow to get started and would be lighting off powder in it by end of the week. And who knows, I may even so. :lol: But in open sighted guns I got a 35 Rem and a 98 Mauser I have shooting good and would like to kill deer with this yr.

I just found through more google fu this evening that the serial numbers on these started at 1,000 and ran well past 3000 the first yr. If that's true then this gun is a 1920 manufacture date as the serial number is 20xx. If I'm patient maybe I'll kill a deer with it next yr when it turns 100 yrs old. I'm young enough I should be above ground yet. :grin:

Beauti..bu..bu.. bu Okay - just breath (I'm hyper ventilating)....Wow!! Oh my...goodness!! :lol: Well, ya learn something every day. THAT is cool to say nothing of the fact that it is in THE caliber. It would be a hoot to shoot and load for that one. I would miss a scope, but what/ how could you possibly drill and tap THAT.

Wonder what twist rate it has? I just had no luck with 87 grn bullets, but I have a 1:10 twist. The older ones started out slower, probably for the 87 gr pills. Incidentally, I haven't seen any of them in a long time. I knew of a guy who had an older 99 that just wouldn't shoot 100 gr BT's but 75 gr vmax's were ridiculously accurate.

Darn that's pretty. Who says savage cant make a nice looking rifle. Enjoy!! And let us know how your load work goes. CL

Gil, in a modern bolt action or a custom build I wanted and still will one way or another come up with a 250AI. Great little cartridge. I'll have to research some of those bullets you mentioned. But it's not the weight, but the length that will get you with a slow twist.

Shadetree,

Loving my 250AI, just need some time to finalize its load with the 110 gr AccuBond.

You may want to look at the 2Fity-Hillbilly.
It is the 6.5 Creedmoor necked down.
Results are so close to the 250AI, and maybe even better, and brass is more readily available. Might be a better option with today's powders and brass supply. Just food for thought...

Nice find Shade tree. Definitely has the cool factor.

JD338

I find about any older rifle to be a joy to handle, and should the provenance be known, it becomes even more exciting. Great find.

Thanks all. Better light today and I took a better close up pic of the dovetail in the bolt peep. That little knurled handle you see on the side of the peep post flips 90 degrees back towards the safety, but I don't know what it's for? It serves some kind of function but I didn't fool with it.

Back