Bad weather rifle.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Don't really have one anymore that I wouldn't care if it was out in all day bad weather. This one has a beat up stock at spots and should work for now until I do something else with it someday.

CZ mauser VZ 24 in a 243. Good clear 3x9 Japan scope on it. $180 on a gun table. Apparently some people don't know what a good mauser action set up for a sporter, is worth? Got a side swing safety on it allowing the bolt to be worked with it on safe. Probably has an aftermarket trigger with that safety, but I didn't pull it apart.

Very nice! I'm envious, for sure. We don't see as many of the CZs making their way here to the north. I had one in 30-06, and I was favourably impressed with the rifle. Some of the models were difficult to find here in Canada. That one looks like a steal. Congratulations.

The CZ's are working-horses.
Maybe not pretty, but they do the job. That one WAS a steal.
Always amazes me how things (not just guns) loose worth on their way over the big pond...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Dr Mike, wish I could take some of you along with me at times, I'm starting to realize I'm in a gun rich environment here. Where I was at today you could've came home with just about any model gun you were looking for, new or old.

There was a REAL nice original Savage 99 takedown that wasn't drilled and tapped, and not beat up in the least, in a 300 savage for $650. A good price for that particular gun in that kind of shape. But you can't have them all and this one just fit my needs better at the moment, and at a real bargain. This gun should've been laying on the table at a minimum of $350 and up. I dry fired it, no way the trigger is factory, probably a Timney replacement.

noslerpartition":2ggle263 said:
The CZ's are working-horses.
Maybe not pretty, but they do the job. That one WAS a steal.
Always amazes me how things (not just guns) loose worth on their way over the big pond...

Good for me I guess! Ha. No I like mauser's in general and the Cz's are no slouches as far as being slicked up. I'll keep it as a truck gun and bad weather gun for now, and someday build some kind of custom with it and put a nice stock on it.

All of my hunting rifles have been out for long periods in snow and rain. No problem, just take care of them.

However two of mine are better suited for bad weather hunting, one has a laminated stock & stainless barrel, the other a fiberglass stock & stainless barrel.

Your CZ looks like a great all-around rifle! I like those things.

Guy

Guy Miner":p4oa58bd said:
All of my hunting rifles have been out for long periods in snow and rain. No problem, just take care of them.

However two of mine are better suited for bad weather hunting, one has a laminated stock & stainless barrel, the other a fiberglass stock & stainless barrel.

Guy

Guy, always been the same with me, I just hunted and cleaned them up and didn't worry about it. Problem is now I either got a gun like that 1920 Savage.......no way I'm letting that thing get soaked, or guns like the 141 pump or the 8x57 mauser. Not museum pieces but good shape yet and I'd hate to carry them in an all day drencher.

This one the stock is nothing special and it got plenty of scratches here and there on it. Hope it shoots!

Guy Miner":2doebm7k said:

Guy

+ 1

All my rifles are bad weather rifles. I always take two with me--dog sled, canoe, plane, snowmobile, and they are both bad weather rifles ( usually the 348 and 7mmwsm ) I dont have a rifle that I would not take out to hunt with

congrats on the CZ pickup, nice rifles, but like Dr Mike said we dont see many of them. Did you find it at a gun store or did you attend a gun show ?

Great grab. I like the CZs. Have a couple VZ24 built up. Really good actions. And you stole it. :grin:
On the stick, take a look in the barrel channel. Maybe rub a few coats of WaterLox in there and on the outside. Should be good to go.

Dwh7271":2agdi41m said:
Great grab. I like the CZs. Have a couple VZ24 built up. Really good actions. And you stole it. :grin:
On the stick, take a look in the barrel channel. Maybe rub a few coats of WaterLox in there and on the outside. Should be good to go.

I’m with Dewey, Waterlox or Marine Spar Varnish works very well, as does coating the entire barrel channel with Marine Tex or Acra Gel.

Great score, I couldn’t have walked passed it for 180 bucks.

Thankful Otter":31y28ih8 said:
Guy Miner":31y28ih8 said:

Guy

+ 1

All my rifles are bad weather rifles. I always take two with me--dog sled, canoe, plane, snowmobile, and they are both bad weather rifles ( usually the 348 and 7mmwsm ) I dont have a rifle that I would not take out to hunt with

congrats on the CZ pickup, nice rifles, but like Dr Mike said we dont see many of them. Did you find it at a gun store or did you attend a gun show ?

Neither. Just a flea market but there were loads of guns there of all sorts.

Dwh7271":d8tdtjrv said:
Neither. Just a flea market but there were loads of guns there of all sorts.

You’re killing me.

Hornady is making 250 brass now.

Seen that on Midway, but it's unavailable right now. I've found around here if Midway doesn't have it, most times the 3 or 4 local places I order supplies from can't get it right now either.

Dwh7271":o19pak7k said:
ShadeTree,
I have a bog or two of the Remington brass run if you need a bag?

A bog?? How much is that? Lol. I appreciate the offer, I'll keep looking, I got time. If I can't come up with any I might take you up on it. Thanks a bunch.

I pulled the stock off because I was curious about how crisp and light the trigger was. Sure enough a Bold trigger in it.

And this is why I check headspace on EVERY gun I bring home. I've seen all kinds of weird stuff laying on gun tables and discovered plenty on guns I brought home. I don't trust a one of them until I check them. This thing has a short front action screw somebody put in it that is doing NOTHING. So this gun probably was sold cheap to the guy I bought it off of because it shot 3-4" groups with every kind of ammo. And it shot 3-4" groups because the recoil lug is able to flop around like a wet fish with every shot. :roll:

Well, a little MarineTex should fix that right up. :grin: Along with the proper screw.
Good job of investigating.

Dwh7271":1uj9sv71 said:
Well, a little MarineTex should fix that right up. :grin: Along with the proper screw.
Good job of investigating.

Obviously that has nothing to do with headspace, but with all the weird stuff I've found already, I check that as well so I know what I'm dealing with. Especially re-barrels.

My springfield was the opposite, but with some of the same effect. They inletted the stock too deep causing the front action screw to bottom out on the shoulder of the screw, so never actually holding the action properly tight. Bedding both the bottom metal and the action took care of that.

The 98 mauser I bought that was re-barreled to 22-250 was plugged that tight it took a lot of effort to get a 22 caliber bore mop down through it to get started with a long cleaning process. That one also has a headspace somewhere around .010-.012. No big deal with a false shoulder on the first firing to fireform the brass, but certainly good to know ahead of time. The barrel should be set back to be right, but I'm gonna do something else with it.

My 8x57 and 141 Rem were both spot on in every way, but the 8x57 is all original military configuration except for a sporter stock and a Redfield peep replacing the rear sight. The 141 is completely original except for a recoil pad.

I like the old ones, but being left handed, there are few to none to be found. Good for the wallet, though...
Only right handed (or stocked) is a 'Drilling' from the 50's. Not ideal, but with that gun I usually have enough time to arrange me around it.
Has a 22 hornet inlay-barrel in the right shot-barrel, 16 gauge shot and 8x57 irs as rifle bullet.
Love that gun!

Back