Browning or Marlin

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
I have been wanting to get another 218 Bee, as I have been without one for 15 years. Harvested my first lynx with it.

Trying to decide between the Browning Model 65 (which I had before, and would make a great stablemate for my Model 71) and a Marlin Model 1894CL Classic (which would fit nicelywith my 5 other Marlin lever actions). Price difference between 2 nice rifles is roughly $150.

Thoughts; Which would you choose and why?

I’m not much help. I have never had either.

I’d probably take the Browning... mainly because I don’t own one.

I do like my Marlin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gil, I was hoping you would receive some intelligent responses, but apparently from the 88 "looks" at this thread, they either dont like either, dont like the 218 or you LOL

My opinion is less about the quality of each manufacturer, because both are well made rifles, but I like the looks of the Browning better than the Marlin, in the models you are comparing. How does each rifle feel in your hands. To match it up with the 71 works for me as well.

Europe":3pqb9et4 said:
Gil, I was hoping you would receive some intelligent responses, but apparently from the 88 "looks" at this thread, they either dont like either, dont like the 218 or you LOL

My opinion is less about the quality of each manufacturer, because both are well made rifles, but I like the looks of the Browning better than the Marlin, in the models you are comparing. How does each rifle feel in your hands. To match it up with the 71 works for me as well.
Not snubbing Gil I just didn't know that the 218 Bee was still being chambered in rifles. The last 218 I had was on a M43 Winchester. The 222 Rem basically killed it along with the 22 Hornet when it first came out but now the Hornet has been revived somewhat since the wildcaters are necking it down to .17 and blowing out the shoulder.
I don't know enough about either rifle so no preference should I want or need one.

Thanks April, the Brownings are well built and usually have nicer wood. The Marlins are a little more compact and are easier to mount a scope on. Both feel good in the hands and shoulder nicely. I like them both! And if my pockets were deeper I would get both, and may someday! LOL

No worries Rodger! Not sure if anyone is chambering for it today. Found some older ones for sale, NIB. As neat as the 22 Hornet is, it just never piqued my interest the way the 218 Bee did. Plus, being a lefty, the lever actions were more appealing. I did pick up a Remington 700 Classic in 221 Fireball this summer. Another cartridge that has always appealed to me. I know! It's not a lefty (LOL) but it is in a rifle and not the xp so I can hunt small game such as lynx and fox with it.

Not sure that I would ever put a scope on it, but it is a nice option. Really leaning towards the Browning. Nice wood and deep bluing is a definite plus!
Was just curious which others would choose...

Sorry Gil, just saw this.
Hard choice especially with the reasons you cited.
I have to lean Marlin. Nothing against Browning I just like the Marlin look I guess.

I’d go all Browning here. I’d love to have the lil brother to my 71....

Cool cartridge too..

Gil I am sorry for not checking in, but I am just getting back on line as I have been having computer problems for the last month hopefully they have been corrected. I have had 2 lever actions during my hunting time my very first rifle was a Marlin 336C in the 30-30 and I sold it when I purchased my first BDL in the 270win. My other lever action was the BLR in the 308win :wink: this was by far my favourite bush rifle and I should of never let myself get talked into selling it :twisted:.
So for me I would always go with the Browning in the lever action :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Gil, I saw this after my post yesterday but have been unable to get service and probably wont be able to respond again for a while--but--

My grandfather ask me about this for a trapping rifle and he is looking for a Win 65 to match my 71. I was wondering why you and Scotty are not looking at them to match up to your 71,s. I know you guys like to scope your rifles but this is a 200 yard rifle at best, so you may not feel the necessity to scope it. Also I guess if your 71's are Browning's then getting another Browning would be matching them up. I am not sure why nobody likes the Win, they have worked very well for me.

Cheyenne

Gil and Scotty will be along to give you a more detailed explanation, but my guess is that they

1. are not into the nostalgia part as much as your grandfather and even you are
2. they can get a new rifle that will do the same thing for less money (assuming you will get one in 90% plus condition )
3. you dont and wont need to scope it, if used for a trapping rifle, but these fellows might want to use it either for coyotes, or lynx
4. as you mentioned, if they have Brownings already, they will be matching up to them

to answer your last question, there is absolutely nothing wrong with any model Winchester if it was made before 1964, in fact I personally would look at Winchester if I wanted one, as it will be used very little, in comparison to their larger calibers. But if not a Win, then Browning and then Marlin

Since I have previously owned, shot and hunted with Brownings in Model 71 and 65, I have a bit of history with the Brownings. Yes, it would be nice to have them paired up.
They were equipped with factory open sights.
It is not that I do not like the Winchesters...nor do I think others are saying that they don't like them either...
The Brownings are also more readily available and less money than the Winchesters.
I have only ever seen a couple of Winchester Model 71's, and they were not exactly inexpensive for well used/somewhat abused rifles. I have never actually seen a Winchester in 218 Bee (cannot recall its Model # at this moment; do not think it was 65).
For the most part, the Brownings I have seen have had nicer wood and deeper bluing than the two Winchesters, and the Marlins for that matter. (I know 2 rifles is not a large enough sample size to indicate that they are all of less quality of wood and bluing).
If I do get the Browning, it will be used with its open sights. Mounting optics will not be considered. Almost half of my rifles are only equipped with open sights.
As mentioned above, the Marlin does have the advantage of being able to mount a scope on it.
I only said it was a nice option.

As to my original question; I was just wondering which others would choose and why?

I’d go Browning. Much less expensive as Gil mentioned.

A Model 65 Winchester is 3000-5000 down here for a decent one, a Browning M65 is still in the low 1000’s. I’ve looked. Just not a serious want.

Yet.

I'd go with Browning. Marlin was bought by the same lame Corp that ruined Remington. The quality control went downhill like the 1920's stock market !

Be cautious about buying certain” Remlins” Marlins made by Remington. They have gained a poor reputation for quality and workmanship. Read the Shooters forum and Marlin owners .forum forum. 336 has been a mess, not sure about some of the other models. Research carefully.

I have a little marlin 1894 in 25-20 that I used as a truck gun for awhile. It is very accurate. Every Browning l've seen is very high quality, but I've only owned a couple of their 1886 copies, no 65 clones. For a trapline use....I'd have to say the Marlin, just because I'm funny about really nice rifles in the fast n nasty! ha

I have a Model 65/218Bee. Go Browning. I won't go into the history but there is no compelling reason to choose a Marlin unless you are a big Marlin fan and/or have something in general against Browning/Winchester.

I have the triplets in Marlin (older ones). 218 Bee, 25-20 and 32-20. Love them all!

The more I read and hear about them, the more I want to get a 25-20 too, to play with! LOL
Going to have to add it to the bucket list!

Back