Distressing new leather.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Put a new sling on Dad's model 71 a month or 2 back and just never warmed up to it on that gun. The color didn't look like the picture it showed of the sling when I bought it. Wouldn't go so far as to call it red, but it certainly was maroon in color, and too rich and new looking on that old gun.

I sanded it with 220 grit to help get rid of the old die, then died it dark brown, distressed it again by scuffing it with 400 grit, then just finished it off with saddle soap. I like it WAY better.

While I was at it I distressed the new leather recoil pad that I had put on to replace the one that was falling apart. That too had that new sheen. All I did with that was to take it off and went over the whole thing with 400 grit sandpaper. Again, much better.

Thanks, pictures can't 100% show the difference but I'm certainly glad I did it. Now it looks made for the old gun.

I also realized when I jumped back on here that I exposed that I need to brush up on some of my long ago schooling. I said die instead of dye, and died instead of dyed. LOL. Guess you all knew what I meant.

Back