New to me mark X 30/06

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
I bought this rifle just for the action, when it arrived today I though it looked extremely well taken care of. I doubt more than a couple boxes of shells has been shot through. It looked and felt so good I decided to keep it as is for now. Put leupold 3-9x40 with moa reticle on it. When I got home I took it apart to start getting ready to bed it. To my surprise the recoil lug was already bedded, and rear action screw had a pillar added. So that was great, and less work on me. Took three shots to sight it in and I shot one three shot group before having to leave. Pretty impressed with it so far with hornady American Whitetail and 150 grain interlock. Just gonna wait until next summer to start loading for it.
cc5b0a76658882e1cf6ea0908574d38d.jpg
8eaa7021681f4ed1f5638de55e684aa8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s been a good while since I’ve had a nice wood stocked rifle. I’ve grown tired of the synthetic stocks and matte finishes on my current rifles. I have to say this rifle has some great clean lines. Also the blueing is far better that I actually though it would be. And all the inletting is nice and tight fit. Very happy especially since it was only $429.

hodgeman":2oix46na said:
Cleveland48":2oix46na said:
I bought this rifle just for the action,

Not anymore!

Never, ever, shoot the donor! LOL.
After hearing all of y’all say that on here you would think I’d know better, but nope just had to try it lol.

What a nice rifle!

You got a keeper. Maybe you'll turn it into something else, but the 30-06 will take anything in North America, and do it well.

Guy

Looks as if you managed to snag a fine firearm. Congratulations! Handsome rifle.

That was a great find!
Congrats on the "New" rifle.
It looks like it is going to be extremely accurate as well.
When in their heyday, the Yugos could make a really good Mauser rifle, and amply accurate to boot!
I wouldn't mind finding one in......
you guessed it, .270!!!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Yeah great snag mister! My mother has one of these in 7x57 that she loves! They are superb rifles for the money. Maybe you ought to leave it in .30-06!? There’s not much of anything it won’t do well. Just my $0.02.

Thanks guys! The original plan was turn it into another 9.3x62, or possibly a 338-06. I’ve never actually used a 30/06 I was always a 270 fan, and a big user of the 6.5’s. Figure it’s about time I give the old 30/06 warhorse a chance.

I would say you're right. With that group, I'd have to give it try as well.
Plus, I believe it has a 24 inch tube, in which you can use all available powder burn to get some really good velocities from it.

HAWKEYESATX":15lm0iu9 said:
I would say you're right. With that group, I'd have to give it try as well.
Plus, I believe it has a 24 inch tube, in which you can use all available powder burn to get some really good velocities from it.

Yes it does have the 24” barrel. Our rifle season opens next weekend, so I’ll just use factory loads this year. Just gonna throw it in the rotation with my 6.5 CM and 9.3x62 this year. After season though I’m planning on working up a load with either the 165 BT or Partition for next year. Should be fun to work with.

Looks like you got a winner! Lucky for you. I just cant see anything not to like about that set up. Apparently that's an "aftermarket" trigger too. You could spend a lot of money and not build a better one. CL

cloverleaf":2m2eg2og said:
Looks like you got a winner! Lucky for you. I just cant see anything not to like about that set up. Apparently that's an "aftermarket" trigger too. You could spend a lot of money and not build a better one. CL
Thanks cloverleaf! I have no idea on the trigger. I do know it is adjustable and it breaks at 3.5 lbs right now. I just left it as is for now.

I'm betting the trigger is a stock Mark X. I've had two, the mark X Alaskan in .375 H&H and one I think was for the European trade and is had almost a pre-war Mauser style stock in .300 Win. Mag.. May have been restocked for all I know. Both very accurate. I sold off the .375 in a hurry because the top of the feed ramp was as jagged as the teeth in a Great White Shark and put very deep scratches in my brass. I've also checked out another Mark X and a Whitworth in .375 H&H and they all had that very rough top on the feed ramp. Would really mess up expensive brass.I can't remember why I sold off the Win. Mag. but it's been gone for a while.
I shoot the 165 gr. Nosler AccuBond over a load of W760 in a 24" FN Mauser custom and it did a very nice job on a good sized cow elk. Bullet hit right at the short ribs and ended up in what was left of the left lung. The elk went maybe 30 yards tops and collapsed. She did require a finisher. The bullet was not recovered and we think it was in that mess of goo that was the left lung. MV for the load was 2880 FPS as I recall.
Paul B.

Man, that is an awesome score on a great looking rifle! I think you made a heckuva deal on it Cleveland!

If you do decide you'd rather have it chambered for something larger... A re-bore and re-chamber for:

338-06
35 Whelen
9.3x62

Any of those should be very easy to accomplish and would be awesome on that wonderful Mauser!

Guy

Guy Miner":2gay90ei said:
If you do decide you'd rather have it chambered for something larger... A re-bore and re-chamber for:

338-06
35 Whelen
9.3x62

Any of those should be very easy to accomplish and would be awesome on that wonderful Mauser!

Guy

Or a 400 Whelen should you want a DG rifle....

SJB358":2hc0i80u said:
Guy Miner":2hc0i80u said:

338-06
35 Whelen
9.3x62

Guy

But, why would you alter a fine .30-06 Springfield? That cartridge will handle everything in North America, and most of the world. (y)

Guy Miner":1h8p7br6 said:

338-06
35 Whelen
9.3x62

Guy
Already have the 9.3x62 and it’s quickly becoming my favorite cartridge to load for. The other two I’ve never owned, but the 338-06 intrigues me very much Guy!

SJB358":2xpaa2jo said:
Guy Miner":2xpaa2jo said:

338-06
35 Whelen
9.3x62

Guy

That is intriguing also, don’t know much about it. Do know JES offers it for a rebore though.

Back