Proper sequence to torquing stock screws

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
I've read mixed opinions on this subject, not sure what to believe. Can anyone here give me the straight on this? My gun is a 30-06 Rem 700 factory wood stock, bedded and floated with pillars.

Thanks
Don

I always tighten the front action screw first, then the back screw. No real reason for it, just how I’ve always don’t it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don with pillar bedding I like to just snug the front and rear screws and then torque them 5 inch lbs first one then the other until I get them to 50 inch lbs and then I torque them again at that setting to make sure they have equal torque with no stress on the action front or rear. Plain wood or synthetic with no pillars or glass bedding 30-35 inch lbs and a full metal bedding block 55-60 inch lbs. For a Ruger M77 it is different where the front screw is torqued according to Ruger to 60 inch lbs and the rear screw to 35 inch lbs.

Thebear_78":3k2qm9ru said:
I always tighten the front action screw first, then the back screw. No real reason for it, just how I’ve always don’t it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same. And while it's still loose enough to move, I butt the stock lightly on the floor a time or two while holding the barrel. I want that recoil lug set against the back solid before I finish tightening the front. I don't own a torque screwdriver, probably should, but I tighten the front good and snug by feel and let the rear slightly less. Works for me.

Thanks for the replies. I'm letting it as is for now till the hunt season is over. It shoots ok for now but I'm not satisfied with it. Will re-torque in the off season.

Don

Back